food The Art Of Blackening

Yous kicken asses.
CJ had a love affair with Paul Prudhomme.
For the firgst 20+ years of our marriage we each had our opinions about "blackened".
She still loves me best...

I hear what you are saying THP, but I tell you, you can "blacken" in oil.

100_9954.jpg

100_9955.jpg

100_9957.jpg

I don't know if you get Bluefish down your way, but it's my favorite way of cooking it. I make my own blackening rub by throwing the following ingredients in a coffee grinder and powdering it up...

1 tbsp spanish paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper (or you can substitute your preferred blend of dried peppers, I use Korean gochus)
2 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp white peppercorns
3/4 tsp black peppercorns (if going with hotter peppers in the mix you can omit the white peppercorns)
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried sage

This'll make enough for 3-4 pounds of meat.

Blackened bluefish, blackened striped bass. Both excellent. If you like bluefish Stickman, keep a cocktail blue or a bunch of snappers and make ceviche. Honestly, I find the hardest thing about blackening is getting the salt just right.

I am going to blacken some fish this week, not sure what yet. I will wait until I get to the store and see what jumps out at me. I will try the butter then season method everyone mentioned.

I'll do some both ways tonight.... topped with crawfish etouffee. Got the tails from last week's boil thawing out. Gonna be delicious!

I am going to blacken some fish this week, not sure what yet. I will wait until I get to the store and see what jumps out at me. I will try the butter then season method everyone mentioned.
You don't actually have to char the meat when "blackening"... about 12 to 15 seconds on each side in a frying pan hot enough to smoke does the job. The whole idea is to sear the spices onto the outside of the meat so they make a crust that doesn't "wash off" when you bake it and the meat starts exuding its juices. Like the boss said, butter instead of oil!

Ok...i gotta share one with you guys...lol :) Im not used to just posting my personal recipes, BUT, I have to share this one as i cant possibly EVER have a chance to prepare it for EVERYONE in the world...LOL...so heres my "Tried and Tested" way of doing Blackened Fish!!

Blackened Redfish served over Loaded Garlic Mashed,
Drizzled with White Wine Moruga Scorpion Gorgonzola Cream Sauce!

Ingredients Needed:

2 lbs - Fresh Redfish Fillets (Cut into 4 servings)
1/2 Cup - Fresh Garlic peeled
1 Cup - Your Blackened Seasoning of Choice :)
4 - Fresh Moruga Scorpion Peppers
1 - Quart of Heavy Whipping Cream
1 - Bunch Green Onion
1 - 8oz Bag of Shredded Cheddar Cheese (Fine Shred)
2 - Sticks of UnSalted Butter
2 - Tsp. Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
2 - Tsp. Fresh Ground Sea Salt
3 to 4 lbs Red Potatoes (Washed, Quartered, and submerged in water... put in Fridge to chill 2 hrs before cooking)
1 - 8oz Cup of Sour Cream
2 - Whole Shallots
1 - 1/2 lb Bacon
1 - 12 oz Can of Roasted Red Peppers (Or Roast your own, which is what I do)
1 - 6oz Tub of Gorgonzola Crumbles
1 - 16oz White Wine

Also, you will need a well seasoned Cast Iron Skillet, and a blender! :)

Prep Work:

You will need to prepare all your ingredients to be used properly. This includes the following things for this dish.... Fine mince the garlic, De-Stem your Moruga Scorpions and also De-Seed them & Julienne, Medium Dice the Green onion, Bring out your butter to room temp 2 hrs before so its nice and soft, Wash potatoes and peel 75% of peel off leaving some peel still on them & quarter them and chill under water until ready to cook, Fine Mince the Shallots, and cook and chop the bacon into small dice pieces.

Start the Dish:

Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil adding a pinch of the Sea Salt & Black Pepper to it. This way its ready to go when we get there :)

We now start to prepare the Moruga Gorgonzola Sauce, as we can leave it set on a back burner over LOW LOW heat until the rest of the dish is ready to go :) First, we want to get a medium sauce pot nice and hot, then we hit it with the White Wine (Chablis works best here). We want to reduce the wine by 3/4 but careful not to burn it,as if it reduces to quickly it will burn. Once reduced, we now add the Shallots, a tbsp of the garlic, and the Julienne Moruga Scorpions. We want to let that slow cook on low for about 3-4 minutes to infuse those flavors into the wine, stirring occasionally. Once thats done we hit it with the Heavy Whipping Cream, but be carefull as the cream once heated up will expand and begin to rise quickly in the pot and want to flow over the lip of the pot and all over your stove...lol...make sure you be carfull with this part and i suggest a nice and big enough pot so you wont have to worry as much :)Next comes the roasted red peppers. Now we want to reduce this by 3/4 and add a pinch of the Sea Salt & Black Pepper. Once reduced, now we add the Gorgonzola crumbles! Stir them in and allow to cook over LOW heat for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally. We can set this on a back burner on the lowest heat possible until later........

Now we want to get that Cast Iron warming up, about medium-low heat for now....

Lets move to the Mashed now. Get your quartered potatoes and drain the chilled water from them (hopefully they chilled long enough to draw out some of the starch in them). Add them to your boiling water and cook for 15-20 minutes checking occasionally until fork tender. Now drain and return them to the pot they boiled in. Now we add the sour cream, 1 tbsp of the garlic, the chopped bacon, 1/2 stick of butter (or more if you like them buttery!), 1 tsp Sea Salt, 1 tsp Black pepper. Now we MASH!!We want them to be a creamy, thick consistency. Whipping them and mashing them very rapidly! Now add the Cheddar cheese and stir a little more. Cover and move to a warm place to keep warm!

On to the Main Course here :) That cast iron we have pre-warming can now be moved to the front burner and set on med-high heat. Let it heat up for about 5 minutes. While this is heating lets prep the fish. Lay the fish out on paper towels and pat them dry. Once dry, we want to spread 1 stick of butter all over the fillets on this top side. We then dip them in the blackened seasoning we have set on a plate already ready to coat the fish. Once coated in blackened seasoning, we flip and repeat the process. Once coated on both sides, place on a plastic wrap sheet, as we are now ready to cook them. The cast iron should now be hot enough. Place the fillets in the skillet and cook for about 3 minutes per side (depends on how thick your cuts are, i suggest about 1 inch thick or so). Once cooked pull from skillet and place in a preheated oven at like 200 degrees, just to keep warm while we build the plate! :)

Plate Presentation:

Lets start by finishing the sauce. We now take the warm sauce and liquify in a blender, making sure you have a smooth well blended creamy sauce when done. Sauce done!

Now we finish the Mashed. Add the Green onion medium dice into the potatoes and mix well. Mashed Done!

Ok, here we go.......

Plate a nice scoop of mashed onto the center of the plate (I use a mold here to make any nice decorative shape i desire for the mashed "base" on the plate, based on occasion or what "look" im going for at the time). Now we take a fillet of the Redfish and place on top of the Mashed. We finish the dish with a generous drizzle of the sauce over the fish and around the plate, and some decorative green onion julienne on top! Serve with a nice white wine and ENJOY!! :)

Dale Baker Jr
Baker's Peppers LLC
www.BakersPeppers.com

It sounds like it would be. I know Redfish is king in LA, and the garlic mash is something near and dear so I will be trying this if/when I can find some fresh redfish.

Here in Florida we have quite a Redfish Fishery :) Allows me to make this dish quite often :) Its recreational only though, so you HAVE to catch it yourself, no Publix or any supermarkets can legally buy/sell it cus of its "Game Fish" status....

Okay, so we're having a healthy debate on the different styles and methods of blackening food. Post your pics and recipes for blackened ANYTHING here!

I went looking for pics of the 3 brats I left on the grill for about 3 hours...then I realized that was pre-THP. Oh well, my family won't let me live it down, but that's not such a bad thing. I'm no longer allowed to cook brats on the grill. :woohoo:

Guess how often we have brats now? ;) :lol:

You got it Phil!

And like I said my man, golden brown with some char. ;)

Scovie's method, spot on. Pan, too hot (for me). :)

Ya gotta cut him some slack for the too hot pan, he was prolly half in the bag and taking pics and posting all the while cooking....I'da chowed it...if'n I'da been invited..... :mope:

Dang it, Scovie... we're due for some Methow shenanigans!

Nope- 16 oz pounder glass!!!! No time for that foo-foo wine glass.....

:cool:

Back