food The Art Of Blackening

Scoville DeVille said:
Bronzed and Blackened.

There IS a difference.

attachicon.gif
image.jpg
12-taking-a-dump.jpg

I just can't help wonder.....

At what point does 'technique' override 'preference'...and vice versa?!

And when does that get posted as such?

...blah...I ask too many questions as it is.....I just get off on all the pretty pictures anyway!    :dance:

(sometimes I study the werdz tho....outta habit!)  ;)

Phil said:
Okay, so we're having a healthy debate on the different styles and methods of blackening food. Post your pics and recipes for blackened ANYTHING here!
Well Phil started this as a continuation of a debate from another topic, that's why there's debate, but I think the groundwork has be laid as far as what people think blackening is, so now let's just see some pics! No matter how you do it. Though oil razzing may ensue. :P

I'll see if I can buy redfish (red drum). I like my catfish cornmeal fried and that's it. Lemon wedges. Nothing else. Mahi mahi is possible. I like that blackened on a soft roll with L&T.

Hot sauce of choice Louisiana style on all. Any pepper (superhots etc.) but Louisiana style.

The Hot Pepper said:
...... I like my catfish cornmeal fried and that's it. Lemon wedges. Nothing else.......

Hot sauce of choice Louisiana style on all....

Yes Sir....I agree... Pure and Simple is the BOMB!!!!!

Restaurants want to re-invent it....Home Boyz aim to perfect it......

I.....I takes it as I can gets it.......but I loooooooves it as it is best served.....Blackened, or/and as stated above.....which is just sublime.... P&S Puppies..... Pure & Simple.... Low Country Eats....   <3.....<3

The Hot Pepper said:
 I like my catfish cornmeal fried and that's it. Lemon wedges. Nothing else.

Sad. I pretty much swap, cornmeal fried then blackened, each time I get catfish. You're missing out on the blackened catfish, but oh well... to each his own.
Since my son became lactose-intolerant, we generally don't use butter for anything. Sometimes I'll get some just for myself, but I'm digging on the Olivio coconut oil "spread" for a lot of things, when I don't use olive oil. That stuff's the bomb on cornbread and catfish, and doesn't have a too-strong coconut flavor.

My contribution to this thread. 

Blackened chicken, done with the butter and cajun spices on a pretty hot cast iron skillet. 

20130523_182930.jpg

My wife's hippie contribution. Blackened veggie burgers just aren't the same. they don't really blacken that well. 
20130523_182936.jpg

What the hell is Olivio?!?!?!?! I'd probably try it.....

I'll be blackening a filet mignon tonight for my niece, since she doesn't like them off the pit like normal people! BIG steak night tonight!

So we had blackened bratwurst tonight.

How does one blacken bratwurst, you ask? Why, just let your son not clean the bottom of the grill and watch the thing catch on fire once the brats get good and hot ..... It's all good - baking soda washes right off! LOL

Back