food The Art Of Blackening

I can't believe J is still asking that.

Where would the oil go? In the pan? That is sauteing, not blackening. Nothing goes in the pan for blackening but the fish, dredged in butter and spices. And you certainly don't dredge in oil.

Also CJ is right. Color and flavor also. Butter browns in a hot pan. Brown is the color you want, not actually black. And butter and oil are not substitutable for flavor. You don't oil your morning toast.

Nothing wrong with sauteed Cajun-spiced fish, but that's not blackening, that is all.

PIC 1 said:
Clarify your butter...a white hot CI pan works well with the high heat tolerence.

I usually heat up a few sticks of unsalted butter at a time, when liquified I run it through a cheese clothed lined strainer to remove the solids. Another key for those who like their fin steaks (tuna, shark...etc) or burgers/steaks on the rarest side is to brush the clarified butter on the food sparingly, press into seasoning mix and then place on wax/parchment paper in the freezer for a minute or two ( 12oz can of beer's worth of time). The butter will seize up ..perfect for a well seasoned pan. Results, "no stick'um" seasoning to pan, only to that rare piece of what have'ya...

I can see the chilling after working because the butter and spices have already incorporated, and worked into the nooks of the fish. Pics?

When I asked J if he used oil, I was not talking about enough to be classified as sauteeing, but only enough to add a film to the pan to help prevent sticking. Still...... I've never known anyone to spread butter on cold meat like that. Either it's been butter in the pan (with or without oil), or butter dollopped on after it's hot. But then, there is often more than one way to skin a cat, as the saying goes... 

That's what the butter's for. It adds the oil element. If you put it in your pan to heat first, you're going to scorch it or ignite it. I'm with scovie and THP. First, melt your butter and dredge the meat in it. Then season and let the butter cool while your pan is heating on high heat... not medium high....HIGH. Once the pan is SMOKING hot, drop the fish on it and it will crust over in a flash. Just a couple of minutes on each side.... I recommend doing it outside, because when done properly, it will smoke and choke you out!

And yes.... thinner filets are easier to manage than a thick tuna steak

either way, those are still some good looking steaks there, JT

Edited to remove the apostrophe from "adds"

If you have so much butter on your fish that you can't see the fish through the butter, then yeah, the crust is going to form on top of the butter and stay in the pan instead of sticking to your fish. I'll post a vid for you tomorrow. I have a couple of swai filets left over.

Interesting development:  I had lunch today with my friend Dave Prudhomme, native of Louisiana, and nephew of Chef Paul Prudhomme (who invented blackening), and he told me that blackening is all about the spices and the high heat.  He told me that in his restaurant he does so with the fish already seasoned and puts them on the flat top with a little oil.  I guess he must be an idiot too.

No one called you an idiot J! But it's possible he disowned his nephew :lol:
http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/10177/Paul-Prudhommes-Blackened-Redfish.html

If you like oil do your thing, but you did ask about why people use butter again and people answered with their opinions. The Art of Blackening will surely have different methods. Most say high heat, I say med-high. See?

Credit for the "in-person" JayTeeing :lol:

Wow you really are getting into the research!  Nice job.  Yes, they make awesome cajun food.  I have never had a bad meal there.

I guess we'll leave this at to each their own. I prefer the butter method for flavor and lack of grease. If the oil works for you, I say don't fix what ain't broke. And yeah, Mr. Prudhomme is right. It's ultimately all about heat and seasoning. Butter just has a flavor that oil doesn't, IMHO. We've stumbled into the same territory as what's the proper way to cook gumbo or boil crawfish? Ask 20 coon asses and you'll get 20 different answers.

JayT said:
Phil, I like your style.
I'm just cool like that.... lol.

Scoville DeVille said:
Sooo... Beans, or no beans? :rofl:
Don't get me started. It's not that cut and dry, dammit! Yes, and yes..... both.... sometimes.... depends on the application. Start a new thread! The beans or no beans question in the profile chapped me for not allowing an explanation! lol

Phil said:
 Ask 20 coon asses and you'll get 20 different answers.
Ditto for cornbread. Dry and crumbly or moist? With or without jalapenos (or other stuff)? Fried fish - beer batter, corn batter, dry flour, dry cornmeal..... The "right" way to do it is how you like to do it, period. I frankly can't believe anyone started a butter-vs-oil as "the correct way" discussion in the first place.... 

When Prudhomme introduced blackening, home cooks were just adding spices and burning meat, so he had to do something about it. Black or burned is not the goal. "Bronze" is. So he changed his approach and introduced Bronzing, a more accurate depiction, to help teach the method.

"Professional chefs looked at my recipes and figured they could master the cuisine by throwing on the red pepper and turning up the heat. They blackened the foods so hard they burned them and made them bitter," said the star attraction at a recent food show for restaurant owners and chefs assembled at Split Rock Lodge, Lake Harmony, Carbon County.

"People who had never been to Louisiana opened `Cajun' restaurants. I was glad when they started going broke.

"One morning when I was on a radio show, a woman called in to tell me how she had bought my book, `Louisiana Kitchen,' and planned to make blackened redfish for a special dinner. Her husband was bringing home an important client. At any rate, she wound up filling the house with smoke. They had to take the client out to dinner.

"The `Cajun monster' I had created made me feel almost suicidal," said the soft-spoken chef raised in the swampy bayous of southern Louisiana.

Philosophical about the "Cajun" experience that catapulted him to culinary fame, Prudhomme said, "I learned from it. I knew I had to develop a technique that was more easily understood and could be done easily in home kitchens. And I decided I would devote myself to teaching. That way, I could convey my messages about food and still get in my messages about blackening."

"Bronzing" is his newest answer to "blackening." It's the art of browning food to bring out its natural sweetness, but, as Prudhomme cautions, "There's a huge difference between browned and burned."

The chef, who revels as much in techniques as he does in new ingredients, believes there is an optimum temperature for cooking every food. Many meats, he has discovered, cook best at 350 degrees. At that temperature, juices brown on the outside, sealing the meat and keeping it from sticking to the pan. At the same time, the remaining juices are driven to the center of the meat so that it is very moist.

But bronzing won't work if the pan isn't hot enough. It also won't happen if the pan gets too hot (higher than 375 degrees). "If that happens, the food will taste bitter," the chef said.

The most accurate way to make sure meat is cooked at Prudhomme's optimum temperature is to use an electric frying pan with a temperature gauge. "I've been trying to convince pan manufacturers to create other pans with some kind of built-in temperature gauge, but no one has listened to me so far," he complained.

YES YES YES! Medium high and golden brown is how I do it. Now I know it's aka bronzing.

Oh my. What keywords did you use to google that?

Back