food The Art Of Blackening

xxx
Blackpep.jpg

So I finally got around to trying out the butter spread blackening with these tuna steaks. I had my grill cranked up, the cast iron in there until it was smoking and I gave it a shot.  Did not turn out like I expected.  I mean don't get me wrong it was good, but most of the seasoning stuck to the pan.  I don't know if perhaps it wasn't quite hot enough or what, but it didn't get the sear I hoped for before it was nearly overcooked. (I like my tuna pretty rare).  Thoughts?

Attachments

• 102_1685.JPG
    102_1685.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 102_1686.JPG
    102_1686.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 102_1687.JPG
    102_1687.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 102_1688.JPG
    102_1688.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 41
Hmm... first thought is maybe you need to reseason that pan. But also, did you at least brush it with a bit of oil or shortening before heating it up? Dunno - I've never tried spreading butter on the meat like that before adding seasonings. I can see it might end up forming too much of a layer between the pan and the meat and prevent the seasonings from sticking to the meat, although I know others seem to do this successfully.  

I did NOT add oil, if I had, it would have formed the crust I was looking for, but I was told definitively in this thread that that is not proper blackening.

I only mean like a film of oil - just enough to help prevent sticking, not so much that you're truly cooking in it.

I don't think your pan was quite hot enough. The CI pan that I use (for tortillas also) gets so hot that it burns off the seasoning.
It's basically "raw" CI. I literally get it glowing red hot, I have seen it glowing red hot at night outside on the side burner of my grill.
When I put the buttered meat on the pan, it looks like Mt. St. Helens for a minute. That's why I don't Blacken indoors.

Your Ahi looks damm good tho. I like it more rare like you probably do. At least it was still pink in the middle.

Butter melted, seasoning slide off and remained on pan....exactly where I would have placed my wager. Nice looking tuna steaks. I have been seeing a ton of fresh sushi grade in local markets here...tempting.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Butter melted, seasoning slide off and remained on pan....exactly where I would have placed my wager. Nice looking tuna steaks. I have been seeing a ton of fresh sushi grade in local markets here...tempting.
Exactly. Jay you need to melt the butter and treat it like a dredge, and press the spices in so they soak up the butter, and then you have one layer. You have two here. Cold or unmelted butter and then spices. They slid right off! Butter is not a binder like egg. You can't just smear butter on it. The hot pan will marry the two quickly for a crust when done right. Your way, the butter has to melt in the pan, and there go your spices washing away.

The Hot Pepper said:
Blackening is exactly as Scovie posted.

Dredge the fish in melted butter, then press the fish into the spice rub (or pat the spices on like Scovie) for an even coating. Then, sear in a CI pan on medium-high heat, flipping when the edges of the fish start to rise from the pan, around 1-2 minutes per side depending on size.

Ok, well the butter was in a butter dish at room temperature for several days, so it wasn't cold, but it wasn't hot either.  Scovie, I think you could be right, the pan could have been hotter.  I may give this another try with some catfish.  I'll stick with what I know for now with the tuna.

THP is right tho, Med-High heat. Nuclear is what I do tortillas on.

The blackened crust on Ahi is to die for.

It's all kinda metaphysicallistic and sheeit. Not even I understand it. :rofl:

Something bout the spices getting pressed into the butter and all that.

Like a unicorn fart... It just comes out as a rainbow, we don't question it.

Jay the butter has to be MELTED as in liquid, and you dip (dredge) the fish in it then add the spices. Like the dredge for breadcrumbs but the butter is your egg.

And since butter is not a binder press the spices in or press the buttered fish into the spices well.

And what the hell you doing using butter that was out for two days? :eek:

Clarify your butter...a white hot CI pan works well with the high heat tolerence.

I usually heat up a few sticks of unsalted butter at a time, when liquified I run it through a cheese clothed lined strainer to remove the solids. Another key for those who like their fin steaks (tuna, shark...etc) or burgers/steaks on the rarest side is to brush the clarified butter on the food sparingly, press into seasoning mix and then place on wax/parchment paper in the freezer for a minute or two ( 12oz can of beer's worth of time). The butter will seize up ..perfect for a well seasoned pan. Results, "no stick'um" seasoning to pan, only to that rare piece of what have'ya...

Back