• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense The best tasting non-hot C.chinense ever - The Aji jobito

Maligator said:
This is purely speculation but I believe the reason those were the first plants to sell out is primarily because many people cannot eat superhot peppers. They may buy some superhot pods to try out but that's about the extent of it unless they find that they enjoy those pods.

People that enjoy eating superhot peppers are a pretty small subsection of the population. Everyone else thinks we are crazy or have burned away our taste buds.

Totally agree, I might have bought a super as a novelty, but that thai is probably what I would have gone home with, and jalapeños are easy to cook with if you're making food for others too. But there are also a lot of different peppers out there, and not always easy to keep track of all, so something like the Jobito, which is really new and people on the forum are still getting familiarised with, I doubt that the rest of the world would have a clue. I do think it's fun that there's a small 'community grow' going on with the Lindeberg seeds right now. 

My little Jobito chugging along- thanks to 1010 for the seeds-
20160411_074031.jpg

20160411_074043.jpg

Maligator said:
I don't believe I'm being arrogant when I say that many people on this forum are far more knowledgeable about peppers and pepper plants than most of the general public and some of the more "pepper inclined" types out there.

I'm a voracious reader & researcher and I continually learn more and more each day. We must admit that there are numerous "new types/strains" either by discovery or by intention and the general public (even those at pepper festivals) may not have the time or inclination to be as aware.

That's where we come in and educate the public ;)

Sometimes when I'm in conversation with customers about my garden.  They ask me what variety of tomatoes I'm growing.  I just tell them heirloom types because 
they will get confused if  I tell them, Babushka Kyka, Dagestanskiy, Ample, etc, etc.  Same thing with the peppers. :lol:

I have been a rare plant collector for 30 years, and when I get serious about a plant group, I would keep up with the newest things that would come into the US. Is the same thing with peppers. In groups like this, there are others like me, and after you talk to others like you, you almost take for granted that everyone should know what these are, or at least recognize, hea, that is one of those new ones I've never seen! I'll have some full size CPRs, and some Apocalypse Scorpions ready for she in the next 3 months and keep plants like this for when the up to date people want to come by, but I can see now, I need to stock more of the mainstream, and famous peppers for the average people at these festivals. Besides reapers, people mainly asked for ghosts, bonnets, and Datils.

The information age is here and we are each able to easily access tons of information from all corners of the world, that we would have never been exposed to in another age. Some people take advantage of it and some people don't. This is an opportunity for us farmers/gardeners to bring value to the community by acquiring new genetics that nobody has ever heard of.

"The greatest service which can be rendered any country is to add an useful plant to it’s culture." - Thomas Jefferson

Aji Margariteno, my only Lindberg variety to have grown out. 
20160416_151251.jpg

Ignore the white specks, just some soil wetter.
20160416_151325.jpg

The flavor of this pepper has similar characteristics of a  superhot, but without any heat whatsoever. Floral, fruity with a slight sweetness. Early pods were smaller and misshapen, but as you can see, the later pods are more true to form and quite large.

SR.

Shorerider how long did it take for that Margariteno to grow and produce ripe fruit? And how long is seed germination taking for everyone? Just got my Lindberg seeds in a couple days ago.....thank you Dru (SmokenFire) for sending them. 

gladius said:
 And how long is seed germination taking for everyone? Just got my Lindberg seeds in a couple days ago.....thank you Dru (SmokenFire) for sending them. 
 All of mine have taken 2 weeks or longer to germinate. Some took a month and others did not go at all.

We have a community grow log on the Lindberg seeds in general

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/59565-community-lindberg-seed-grow/

Most of my pics and info on the plants will be posted there if you want to follow along.

Good luck with your grow.

gladius said:
Shorerider how long did it take for that Margariteno to grow and produce ripe fruit? And how long is seed germination taking for everyone? Just got my Lindberg seeds in a couple days ago.....thank you Dru (SmokenFire) for sending them.
The seeds I aslo got from Dru were unfortunately not easy to germinate. I started 4 seeds of each of the 6-7 Lindberg varieties. I only ended up with the one Aji Margariteno plant you see above. The seedling was in the ground by the end of October, and the pic in my previous post was taken on the same day I posted it. I had all my plants stall for 3-4 weeks due to soil issues so that has to be considered also.

I did pick 2-3 ripe first off "runt" pods over Easter.

Thanks for the link CheriLBW, I had missed that one.

On another note, does anyone know where The Hippie Seed Co. sourced their Jobito seeds from?

SR.

gladius said:

Mine were pretty fast to germinate, pretty much around the time all my other chinenses germinated. I'm only growing Margariteño and Jobito, so I can't speak for the other seeds. 

Anyone care to take a guess why there is so much variability in germination success rate? Temperature, PH, soil mixture, moisture, etc? I planted 5 seeds of each variety yesterday in soil pots outdoors so we'll see what happens...temps here in north AL are mid-high 70s during the day and mid 50s to low 60s at night, so they probably won't be sprouting quickly. 

Back