• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food The big badass pasta thread

Looks awesome personally I'd sear it rare but that's preference.

grantmichaels said:
I really appreciate your dedication to aesthetics (color, but also shapes/slicing) in particular ...

I don't know if I like tuna steak (yet, I'm going to order some soon - along w/ swordfish), but it looks great ...
Thanks! Maybe it's because i look at Chris stuff, my plating looks awful. :D I cut peppers in big slices because there was a friend not so big on heat, so i could plate for him with no pepper pieces. It turned out to be still to hot for him! :D
Tuna and swordfish are awesome. 

tctenten said:
I like tuna….and I would like a plate of that.   Those lemon peppers give it a nice heat and a great flavor, well done Essegi.
True, that lemon peppers are really good for that and a bit hotter than how i thought. I was at a friend of mine place that grows peppers too, if fatalii were ripe i have used that maybe. Or maybe a yellow scorpion if we had some, no one in his plants at the moment (the one i tasted was a bit like fatalii on steroids). No regrets for using hot lemon though!

The Hot Pepper said:
Looks awesome personally I'd sear it rare but that's preference.
I agree, but maybe because it was frozen i prefer it cooked a bit more.

This is kind of a seafood medley pasta with alfredo sauce. It has clams, mussels, bay scallops, tiny shrimp, fish, and calamari. I forget the name of the pasta, but it is from Italy. Maybe Essegi can recognize it.

102_0021_zps4nrsypnj.jpg

102_0024_zpsdmjaabhu.jpg

JayT said:
Maybe Essegi can recognize it.
Hard call, i see everytime at market and i don't look for the name... I've checked some images, could that be Casarecce (more or less you can translate with homemade)?
Looks awesome, i want a bucket of that!

That could be trofie... It's also written on the name of the image so they should be that. In general they are more elongated (not always as much as the image below):
Fresh-Trofie_LP2.jpg

I thought yours were more straight, like casarecce:
casarecce1.jpg

that's close too, but neither is it. Mine were a little longer and line down the middle isn't so straight.

Casarecce could be a bit folded like:
casareccia_nudo.png

And trofie smaller or more straight than one i posted.
Could even be strozzapreti, but i know you know them.
Or gemelli, but have a too screw like from.
Guess you should buy that again!

Gemelli. That's the one, but this bag was more like homemade, not so many twists as the commercial ones. But I remember that being the name. I will buy again. Seems almost crazy to pay $5-$6 lb for dried pasta, but I buy some whenever I go to that store.

I allowed myself something a bit hot.
I was inspired by cacio e pepe. Who doesn't know should check the recipe: http://cookinginrome.blogspot.it/2008/02/spaghetti-cacio-e-pepe-cheese-and.html
So easy and fast while being so good.

I used pepato siciliano (pecorino from Sicilia with black pepper) and some hot salami that together are great.

Grated and melted cheese with cooking water, added salami.

Used to flavour pasta: 

So good.

Ive never been huge on salami, but recently visited a friend who lived next door to an Italian deli. They had the best salami i have ever eaten... flavorful... moreish.... and didnt taste greasy or fatty at all. Ate a heap of that stuff.

Looks great Essegi! Id down that in a heartbeat! 

Tinnie said:
Ive never been huge on salami, but recently visited a friend who lived next door to an Italian deli. They had the best salami i have ever eaten... flavorful... moreish.... and didnt taste greasy or fatty at all. Ate a heap of that stuff.

i hear there's a lot of that experience if you get into home-charcuterie ... that like so many other things (wine, beer, pasta, baking, pizza, coffee ...), you basically have to do it yourself if you want to experience it right ...

Tinnie said:
would love to try that one day

yeah, i have a friend who is a programmer who does that ... he's made a couple of different charcuterie environments and programmed them w/ arduinos etc ...

gutted/converted wine-cooler's seem to be a good initial device for hacking into programmable meat lockers ...

i don't know, though ... i've never felt like nitrites and salty stuff agrees all that well w/ me ...

tctenten said:
The pasta king is back!!  That looks easy enough to make, thanks for the link.
Thanks!
Yeah, roman recipes are unreal (like carbonara), developed from old poor people. Just throw 2-3 inexpensive ingredients that even doesn't require much cooking skills and you have some of the best things i can think about.

Tinnie said:

Thanks!
There's so many salami btw (considering just pork), fresh to be cooked, hard, soft, big, small. And of course the best are homemade.

grantmichaels said:
i hear there's a lot of that experience if you get into home-charcuterie ... that like so many other things (wine, beer, pasta, baking, pizza, coffee ...), you basically have to do it yourself if you want to experience it right ...
Absolutely. For next year my dad have ordered a salami and a sopressa from a friend that went to a guy that made the best i've eaten (my dad said: they're like the ones of 40 years ago), sopressa was something unreal... Maybe i have won't have it changed even with the best prosciutto i've tried... Unfortunately that guy died, we'll see how new salami are.
U know sopressa? It's a salami on steroids... It's bigger, if it's not good is sucks a lot, if it's good is... Good. If it's excellent i think it's better than salami.
Here there's a recipe but i've no idea if it's a good one: https://www.starchefs.com/features/trends/art_and_economics_of_charcuterie/john_toulze/html/recipe_sopressa_vicentina_john_toulze.shtml

Back