• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The C.eximium Project

I wanted to start a separate Glog just for this project. Sorry Jamie, not photos yet.... :party:

I love wild Capsicum species, but C.eximium is one of my favorites. For 2014 I wanted to find as many C.eximium as I could and grow them all out.

My hope is to examine the flowers in detail, using a dissecting microscope. It is possible that I may also be able to get some DNA sequencing done, but that is not certain for now.

Here`s the list of what seeds I have so far. 

CAP 500
CAP 1491
CAP 1530
CGN 19198
CGN 21502
CGN 24332 (not buforum)
C.eximium from the UK (maybe CAP 500 or CGN 21502???)
C.eximium (www.semillas.de)
C.eximium from Bolivia (Tarija region)
C.eximium from Bolivia #2 (La Paz region)

The only one I don`t have that is rare, but found among some people in the chile community is CAP503. If you have this one please let me know. If you can share, I will endow you with dozens of seeds from all over the world  :P

C.eximium tomentosum has been redescribed as the new species C.eshbaughii and isn`t available. 

There are also 5 eximiums in the USDA database that are unavailable.

PI 645681 
Grif 15935
PI 596051
PI 596053
PI 596062

maximumcapsicum said:
Awesome! Where do you get the DNA sequenced? What are you looking for?
A  good friend is a genetics Professor who works on crop plants. His lab does 1044 sequencing reactions at the same time, then puts them into an automated sequencer. 

I`m interested in relatedness, whether there are other genes in there (like pubescens or cardenasii) and just to see whether they constitute a specific species and how much difference their DNA has. 

I don't know anything about the wild varieties but would be great to learn about them they seem very appealing, will be fascinating to follow this glog. All the best!  

How goes your Grow, Glad to hear that Chris was able to help you out with CAP503 He's quite good about sharing what he has, He always amazes me with his yearly grow list, With all the species and varieties he has grown over the years there are very few he has not grown at some point.
Well Nigel take care and stay well.

wildseed57 said:
How goes your Grow, Glad to hear that Chris was able to help you out with CAP503 He's quite good about sharing what he has, He always amazes me with his yearly grow list, With all the species and varieties he has grown over the years there are very few he has not grown at some point.
Well Nigel take care and stay well.
Everything`s in the dirt, George. I did all these plus a few other wilds +/- gibberellic acid to see if it might help with germination rates/times. Like this,

3 seeds each. 3 + 500ppm GA3, 3 + H2O. I left them to soak for 18 hours, then into soil then went!.

Hi Nigel, I hope you have good luck with them, the rare wild species are quite interesting, I will keep looking in to see what all you find out about them. Have you learned any thing more about the two other wild species that is found in Peru? I can't think of their names off hand it would be interesting to find out if they are related to the eximium, cardenasii, pubescens group or a completely different group.

wildseed57 said:
Hi Nigel, I hope you have good luck with them, the rare wild species are quite interesting, I will keep looking in to see what all you find out about them. Have you learned any thing more about the two other wild species that is found in Bolivia? I can't think of their names off hand it would be interesting to find out if they are related to the eximium, cardenasii, pubescens group or a completely different group.
Capsicum eshbaughii is a redescription of the hairy subspecies, C.eximium tomentosum. Because of that, the flower looks just like C.eximium, but there are 5-10 teeth in the calyx and it is extremely hairy, almost pubescens-like. C.caballeroi has a very similar flower to C.cardenasii, but it is bright yellow. It is found in the same kind of area that cardenasii is, so I`d be surprised if they were not related. Still, you never know.

As I have never seen what a C. caballeroi looks like,   it sounds like it could resembles a C. rhomboideum to some degree "ie." the yellow flowers, but C. rhomboideum grows some where in Brazil and may have a different gene count also?

wildseed57 said:
As I have never seen what a C. caballeroi looks like,   it sounds like it could resembles a C. rhomboideum to some degree "ie." the yellow flowers, but C. rhomboideum grows some where in Brazil and may have a different gene count also?
All domesticated Capsicum have a chromosome count of 24, as do many Capsicum species. Both C.eximium and cardenasii have 24, for instance. However, chromosome count isn`t really diagnostic anymore, as a large number of Brazilian species have 26 chromosomes (see reference below). 

http://www.botany.wisc.edu/courses/botany_940/06CropEvol/papers/Pozzobon%2606.pdf

C.rhomboideum comes from southern Mexico, so it`s a little odd to have n=26 that far from Brazil, but far from impossible. Obviously.  :rolleyes:

There is a nice map showing where the chromosome counts differ here,

http://infernochili.net/?page=villichilit

Back