• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

tutorial The Comprehensive Guide to Over-Wintering

just started my sticks under MH
the datil barrackpore and BS are turning brown so i figured it's time(i think they might be dead, they had black streaks move down the stem toward the roots) oh well, the rest are all coming back! it's my first time and my parents have always been totally unsuccessful. every experience is a learning experience!
photo-3_zps77b1d3bb.jpg
btw those little lights kick ass don't they? love em

yeah they do! I ended up scorching a few because I didn't use a fan; forgot how powerful the radiant heat is, I thought it wouldn't matter in a cool attic. Then I overwatered, they got aphids, and they're set back pretty badly. 10 out of 14 pulled through(there are 11 pots but some are doubled up with the hopes they'll fuse) and they all started shooting out 3-4 tiny flowers per node. I just deflowered those ladies when I put them in ground ;) they're exploding with new growth and the chocolate belle has 3 pods set already. pretty excited for this season and really happy you started this thread!

I played a little with the Hab seedlings this last winter and I think the one that was under 12/12 did better then the one 24/7 light, I hope to add a little heat to my little GH this next winter to over winter a few pepper plants but can put them under lights if I need to as well.  

Thanks for sharing this information, PepperGuru.  I over-wintered for the first time this past winter.  I lost 2 of the 4 plants, learned some valuable over-wintering lessons, and have 2 very happy peppers outside.  My fatali and bhut are setting fruit and producing a lot of leaves.

I saw that some people posted about gnats.  I think that when you grow peppers of this heat, the next step for you is carnivorous plants...because what's crazier than super-hots, right?  The sundew is an excellent plant to have around if you have gnat problems.  It requires full sun (so if you have your peppers under lights or in a window, this should suffice) and distilled or rain water.  The gnats will take care of the feeding part.  I have several of these plants and have even potted many seedlings up for friends having the same issues.  They are highly effective.

If anyone does decide to get some sundews, the place that I shop is www.cobraplant.com

they always package their plants really well.  Everything that I have received from them is super healthy.  You can tell that these folks love their work by the plants that you get.  And if you are like me and develop an obsession, they have carnivorous plant of the month clubs, for the 12 year old retiree in all of us :)

So some of your pics showed your plants cut back with no leaves on them. Should I cut off the leaves when cutting back the branches, or should I leave some on?

If I have an insignificant light source (2 48inch 32watt florescent bulbs in my basement) should I remove flowering buds that grow during the overwintering process in order to keep the energy for new foliage?

Is it possible to overwinter plants that are sharing a pot (2 plants per 10 gallon container)? Or should I attempt to cut the roots and separate them into 1 gallon pots (1gals are all I have other than the 10gals)?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I don't screw it up when I attempt this! By the way, I love all this awesome information that you're giving us :) it means a lot for a first time grower

i also have a question, when over wintering...

when you chop them all back, and place them in new containers..... is any one worried about bringing pests in with them?  do you spray them down ( for aphids and mites even if you dont see them)and of course use freash potting mixes?  anything to watch for or worry about, by bringing them inside?

chicken_phat said:

So some of your pics showed your plants cut back with no leaves on them. Should I cut off the leaves when cutting back the branches, or should I leave some on?

If I have an insignificant light source (2 48inch 32watt florescent bulbs in my basement) should I remove flowering buds that grow during the overwintering process in order to keep the energy for new foliage?

Is it possible to overwinter plants that are sharing a pot (2 plants per 10 gallon container)? Or should I attempt to cut the roots and separate them into 1 gallon pots (1gals are all I have other than the 10gals)?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I don't screw it up when I attempt this! By the way, I love all this awesome information that you're giving us :) it means a lot for a first time grower

I never try and cut all the foliage back. I always want to keep some photosynthesis happening. If you have sufficient light, then leaving more is better. Just make sure what ever foliage you leave, that you have enough root system to support it. As for growing multiple plants in one container: Though it can be done well, I prefer to give my plants plenty of root space. With sufficient lighting, the plants will probably keep growing as usual and then youll be trying to repot anyway. 1 gallon pots would be perfect for really cutting back and just keeping them as small as possible for indoor conditions and lighting.
Nitro said:
i also have a question, when over wintering...

when you chop them all back, and place them in new containers..... is any one worried about bringing pests in with them?  do you spray them down ( for aphids and mites even if you dont see them)and of course use freash potting mixes?  anything to watch for or worry about, by bringing them inside?
A good rinse of the root mass and fresh soil should do the trick. Make sure you also check any remaining foliage for pests. A good idea would be to do a spray and soil drench with an AACT of your choice.

Sorry for the late replies guys!
:)

How late is too late to over winter?  While I still have leaves on my plants one of them has started dropping leaves and all of them have the leaves turning a little bit paler in color.  Can I still cut them back and bring them inside?

-Alden

I dug up 6 of my plants last Thursday before I went away for the weekend and stuck them in my unheated garage to prune back and deal with once I got back.  Last night I finally was able to trim them up, rinse them, and get them into pots.   I will try and get a picture up later tonight of the finished plants.

Regarding pests, such as aphids: they hate breezes.  I keep a fan trained on the indoor plants.  No aphids, no red spider mites, either.  Without the fan, I had huge problems with both.

Very informative thread! I have a quick question though as it's starting to get cool here. We have 2 nights next week where it's predicted to get into the mid 30's at night, then back up to the mid 50's during the day. Should I bring my plants in for those 2 nights, or will they be ok if I leave them out? 

Back