• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

The Dangers of Dried Peppers & Powder

So in a previous thread I mentioned I was hoping to start a very small pepper business, nothing fancy just pods and powder at local markets and through contacting the nearest farmers market I learned I needed to have a food processor permit if I wanted to sell anything other than fresh peppers (sauce, powder, dried pods, etc.). It was suggested by the market organizer to contact a local community kitchen slash business incubator to find out what I needed to do to sell dried peppers.

So today I had a meeting with the director of the kitchen, who in turn invited the county health inspector into the conversation. Not only is it already sounding like a fairly sizable PITA to sell dried peppers, the inspector brought up a specific labeling requirement which is: THIS PRODUCT NOT TO BE CONSUMED RAW.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? I have never seen this on any commercial powders, and believe me there's hundreds to choose from here in NM. Apparently someone used some green chile powder to make tea (I like the cut of their gib already lol) and since it was steeped not boiled it never reached 165f, and the person came down with salmonella from it. Now dried peppers tested show plenty of pathogens survive the drying process and can potentially lead to illness. Apparently some companies use radiation, Schilling (which only sells paprika? maybe cayenne?) apparently uses steam somehow in a proprietary process.

I use homemade powder all the time, and sprinkling it on food means it's still "raw", but have yet to ever get sick from it.

All I've really learned so far is it's not easy to legally sell pepper powder. ...and it can kill you? I still have more meetings and classes to look forward to but it's an uphill battle. Makes selling online "illegitimately" seem more appealing. :rolleyes:

What fun is it to sell powder legally?
pimp-smiley-emoticon.gif

I think I saw someplace that labeled powder as animal repellant or something? I cant remember where I saw that! :rofl:
But I reckon it is just another CYA move!

I've never gotten ill,and I have tried alot of powders from alot of people!

:cool:
Kevin

yup some of us sell are stuff legally. its a hassle and their is little inspections and fees all the time. but its called operating a honest business! then people want to talk shit that something is to expensive. i own and operate a small ranch and do everything on the up and up. and i have to charge to cover all the government and try to make a dollar! i dont think people should sell anything if they are not doing it legally!!!!!!!

What fun is it to sell powder legally?
pimp-smiley-emoticon.gif

I think I saw someplace that labeled powder as animal repellant or something? I cant remember where I saw that! :rofl:
But I reckon it is just another CYA move!

I've never gotten ill,and I have tried alot of powders from alot of people!

:cool:
Kevin

Well I think it would be fun legally or otherwise. Legal is (was?) the goal though. It would be nice to be able to brand it and have people recognize it. If all else fails keep your eyes out for a fall post where I try to get rid of 20lbs of superhot powders :pray:

yup some of us sell are stuff legally. its a hassle and their is little inspections and fees all the time. but its called operating a honest business! then people want to talk shit that something is to expensive. i own and operate a small ranch and do everything on the up and up. and i have to charge to cover all the government and try to make a dollar! i dont think people should sell anything if they are not doing it legally!!!!!!!

Yeah I haven't given up, the "fun" is just getting started. Looking at a grand or so already just to have any hope of selling a little baggie of powder at a farmers market.

yup thats how it is. im glad to see you doing it though. i have spent over a $100,000 getting my ranch up and running. wont see a profit for awhile!

you spend that kind of money its a insult when you see someone slinging illegally.

dont even get me started about people selling plants over state lines :rofl: if you cant do it and you do it you FAIL

even sending plants as a gift can be illegal!

It means I hope you prosper,,

Is there any tolerance for the seller that has a small garden and wants to diffuse the growing expense by unloading a few pods?
their is tolerance for everything. and i could really care less what people do,but when i see something then its a question for me. i dont mind sharing my 2 cents.This goes out to everyone if you dont own anything you will never understand this. but once you have made the step of property,equipment,labor,all kinds of expensives,tools,labor,ect ect ect. what do you do? think of your job. is it good that you get paid and your employer operates a honest business?

armac ? im not being a dick im being serious. your a cop wright? its illegal to distill liquor,would you be happy to bust down some dude operation cause its in the days work? im guessing yes,and also that you think its wrong for people to be making liquor. its also illegal to sell things without having proper license. whats the diffrence?

i only point you out armac cause i know you will answer!

It's not illegal to distill liquor... at least in my state.

It's illegal to sell that liquor without a license though, and probably all kinds of red tape to sell it to someone in another state.

yup thats how it is. im glad to see you doing it though. i have spent over a $100,000 getting my ranch up and running. wont see a profit for awhile!

you spend that kind of money its a insult when you see someone slinging illegally.

dont even get me started about people selling plants over state lines :rofl: if you cant do it and you do it you FAIL

even sending plants as a gift can be illegal!

What's most insulting to me is it's a crime to grow a pepper and sell it to someone without a ton of government interference.

It's not illegal to distill liquor... at least in my state.

It's illegal to sell that liquor without a license though, and probably all kinds of red tape to sell it to someone in another state.
are you sure about that? you can make your own liquor for personal use?

What's most insulting to me is it's a crime to grow a pepper and sell it to someone without a ton of government interference.
you could say the same thing about weed? but hay we dont make the laws we just live them

when you take cattle to market they have to be tagged saying you didnt use any hormones on them. do you guys want to buy beef that has been poisoned? good thing there is a law for us poor ranchers selling beef for yall grocery shoppers!

are you sure about that? you can make your own liquor for personal use?

you could say the same thing about weed? but hay we dont make the laws we just live them

Not sure about the alcohol, still just wine and beer are allowed at home apparently.

It's probably easier for me to get a permit to grow medical marijuana than it is to sell a bag of ground pepper at my local farmers market. Food shouldn't be a crime, and it's not like the FDA or USDA actually do much to ensure anyone's safety. I'm annoyed. Not at you specifically, just annoyed in general with the legal process. It's almost like the system is designed to discourage anyone from bringing better food to market.

you think i like all the bull shit? i think its stupid also,but i have to do it!

and i do know you cant make your own liquor legally. stupid? yes! but its the law. that was my only point. :cheers:

Back