• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

The dog had some of Blair's Jalapeno Death last night

Got back from El Cayote (I was there testing out Chuck Hell's sauces...which ALL the mexican workers there tried and loved...they wanted to know where they could buy it...I ended up having three margaritas) and was drinking back at Dave's place (the guest house). I had just cracked open my new bottle of Blair's Jalapeno Death and tried it on my finger.

Tigger's (Dave's dog) food radar went off and he sat in front of me (he's eaten pickled jalapenos before, but no hot sauce). I smeared a big glob on my pinky which he ate...his eyes got really big:shocked: , he looked at me and barked once, then fell over, flopped back and fourth on the floor and then wiggled on his back for about 30 seconds. This, so far, is the hottest thing we have fed him. 30 minutes later I opened the bottle again and showed it to him to smell. He sniffed then beared his teeth, snoted, and jumped back.

30 minutes after that, I glooped some on my pinky again, showed it to him, he sniffed, beared his teeth, sniffed again and ate it (the sauce, not my finger). No crazy reaction this time. I'm going to start slowly building up his tolerance. I'll have him eating defcon wings in no time!

I have to say that I laughed. We have an outdoor cat and two kittens, I wonder.... A little on their food... never know they may like it.

sevver said:
I have to say that I laughed. We have an outdoor cat and two kittens, I wonder.... A little on their food... never know they may like it.

since its cats you speak of, feed them nagas. by the pound

ross said:
since its cats you speak of, feed them nagas. by the pound

That would be interesting... would I have to force feed it to them? My kids love the little guys, they only try to trip me when I go out my back door, I think that they have it in for me.

I am going to get my tinfoil hat now...

fdaniels said:
Xoloitzcuintli

I'm sorry, could you repeat that, it appears that a large object mashed into your keyboard and randomly pressed a load of letters.

Birds don't taste heat. Fact. I'm wondering: do slugs and snails? What happens if you put a cut open hab in the path of a snail and it goes over it? Does it squirm along, really, really fast to some water, does it shrivel, or does it not notice? We deserve to know.

I'm not advocating that anyone tries it, mind.

Here's some good info.

"The situation is entirely different for birds. While mammals will avoid food containing as little as 100-1000 parts per million (ppm) of capsaicin, birds will readily consume up to at least 20,000 ppm (mind, we're talking food that's 2% pure capsaicin here). The difference seems to be that bird receptor cells are largely insensitive to capsaicin. Certain chemical modifications can make capsaicin somewhat aversive to birds, which shows that it is the structure of the molecule that is the key. Capsaicin sensitivity is perhaps the most well known difference between bird and mammalian receptors, although birds also seem to be insensitive to many other substances that are irritating to mammals, including ammonia and naphthalene. (A contrasting case is methyl anthranilate, grape flavoring, which is aversive to birds but not to mammals.) This difference is exploited by some commercial bird seeds, which add chili powder or capsaicin to the mixture to deter feeder-raiding squirrels."

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mchili.html

Wow sevver you could juggle dude, I love cat jugglin:shocked:
LUCKY;)
Its usually better with three kittens, but the one adult thrown in there is always a crowd pleaser too. Try it with different breeds and color variations, calico's are awesome.

Ya know I cannot juggle, but it would be worth a try, I could have the kids plop down on the deck and tell them I am going to show them something. How do you toss them, by the tails I assume. I could give them a midair twist too. And all of this would come after a pepper feast.

Our beloved Kato (dog) would eat habanero's no one would beleive me till our segment on the Food network (2001) filmed Kato eating habaneros.
He will live forever having been filmed doing this. We found out he was stealing the habs from our plants. So I thought I would teach him a lesson and fed him some of course he liked them.

Mick
Kato's

If you are relatively new to cat juggling, start out by tying them up in a towel. This will protect you from their claws, but you still get the sound effects. Don’t put em in ziplock freezer bags, even though it seems like a good idea. As you become comfortable.... remove the cats (one at a time) from the towels and before long…..wala. You too will be en expert cat juggler:lol:

GreenHot said:
Can you quote a source for this bit of trivia? :lol:

Told ya.

It's sensible, in a way, perhaps if you think about it: If chilis have evolved so that they want their seeds spread as far away from the plant as possible, then by air is the best way to do it, and the capsaicin keeps the squirrels chewing on their nuts instead. So to speak.

However, that suggests that there was a chili brainstorming session where they said "look, birds have wierd taste buds, why don't we evolve capsaicin, and we're MADE!" which is rather improbable, to be honest.

I don't know. Maybe birds evolved to not feel the heat, like Mullet appears determined to encourage in any quadruped that comes within 20 feet of him :)

fdaniels said:
SO, what kind of dog is it? Are you trying to grow hair on the chest of a Xoloitzcuintli?
Tig's a 63lbs American Staffordshire Terrier.

Hillbilly Chili said:
If you are relatively new to cat juggling, start out by tying them up in a towel. This will protect you from their claws, but you still get the sound effects.
BWAHAHAHAHA!

Shooty* said:
like Mullet appears determined to encourage in any quadruped that comes within 20 feet of him ;)
Mullet: The Missing Link

Shooty* said:
I'm sorry, could you repeat that, it appears that a large object mashed into your keyboard and randomly pressed a load of letters.

The Xoloitzcuintli is Mexico's National Dog, an exotic and hairless dog which stands 10"-24" tall. Go figure!;)

Back