food The General Taco thread. All things taco.

Damn dude skirt is my fave cut and you did it justice! Never smoked it, bangin' tacos!!! Juicy as all hell with smoke flavor... gotta try that. Looks like a really juicy medium I'd even dare say MR just from the juice factor/texture, but not as pink. NICE!

The Hot Pepper said:
Damn dude skirt is my fave cut and you did it justice! Never smoked it, bangin' tacos!!! Juicy as all hell with smoke flavor... gotta try that. Looks like a really juicy medium I'd even dare say MR just from the juice factor/texture, but not as pink. NICE!

Thanks pookie, i'd say half of it was MR and the rest medium. I had butcher trim it for me but not run through machine that way it was still a little thicker. 2.5lb skirt. I marinaded it for a few hours with a thing of frontera carne asada marinade, fresh ground toasted cumin,  some aji pineapple and lime juice. 

Also made a batch of salsa from a mix of roma and some cherry tomatoes, aji pineapple, sweet datil , aji omni color and a few white devils tongue. Red onion, green onion from garden, lime and seasalt. 

D3monic said:

Thanks pookie, i'd say half of it was MR and the rest medium. I had butcher trim it for me but not run through machine that way it was still a little thicker. 2.5lb skirt. I marinaded it for a few hours with a thing of frontera carne asada marinade, fresh ground toasted cumin,  some aji pineapple and lime juice. 

Also made a batch of salsa from a mix of roma and some cherry tomatoes, aji pineapple, sweet datil , aji omni color and a few white devils tongue. Red onion, green onion from garden, lime and seasalt. 

What temp did you run the skirt at D3?

I usually only use skirt for jerky but that came out really tender and juicy.  Nice one!

It's all about the Bonnet...and in this case it's the Bahamian Orange Scotch Bonnet. There's only two members here growing this one,  that would be me and Brent (Fade to Black) from the Bahama's that sent me the seeds a few yrs back. I've been growing this one for 3 seasons now and it's a great go to pepper when making a tropical Pico de Gallo.

As you will sea.....the main ingredient for these tacos are Grouper Fillets that were cut into fingers and coated in equal parts of Rice, Corn and AP Flours.........with a little Old Bay.
The fish strips will be deep fries at 360 F.

I like  Cabbage on my fish tacos and in this case it's Red Cabbage drenched with Rice Vinegar, a drizzle of Honey and Salt and Pepper.

Along with the Red Cabbage goes a Tropical Pico with diced Orange Scotch Bonnets, Heirloom Tomatoes, Mango, Papaya, Pineapple, Red Onion, crushed Garlic, Cilantro, Cumin, Salt, Pepper and Lime juice.

Also a Tequila-Lime Crema which will balance things out.

It wouldn't be a kickass  taco unless you have homemade tortillas, and in this case it's Flour made with Butter and Lard.

Arm and Hammer ?........nah.....just the cheapo tortilla press....

Toasted the Tortilla's on a Indian Tawa.

Grouper Tacos with Tropical Pico de Gallo, Red Cabbage, sliced Avacado and Tequila-Lime Crema.
and a Rum drink !

dig in boys.....

The dude's parents were in town this weekend and I had cooked up collards, mashed potatoes, corn bread and carolina style pulled pork.   As I was heating up left overs I decided that instead of corn bread I was going to make "southern" tacos with corn tortillas.  Corn tortilla, mashed potatoes spread on, the pork, and collards on top.  Lousiana hot sauce and yellow mustard to finish it off.  It was damn good. 
11201818_10102061618576969_464574832910700457_n.jpg

Dig on that! Love a soul food taco boom!

The fish taco looks like it was good too. I love a basket of grouper fingers and fries. 

FROG DOG said:
don't make me post pics of my crispy fish taco's y'all, this sh*t is getting real!! i gotta go spearfishing first though :cool:  :cool:  :cool:

Bring'em on !...............................................actually, just bring'em over....I'll be in Kahana in a few weeks.......... :P

Back