• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The Great Kiwi Pepper Thread

Madhatter123 said:
so has anyone started doing seedlings yet?

Started some in

June - Reaper / Choc Bhut / Red Borg 9 / Long Sweet Pepper / Cayenne / Aji Amarillo / Aji Cito
July  - Reaper / Dorset Naga / Trinidad Scorpion / Choc Bhut / Jays Peach / Brain Strain / Reaper X Ghost

Some did not germinate at all - Jays Peach / Brain Strain

Also got a couple of over winter plants I'm looking after.

I have a bunch of seedlings come up. Only growing 4 types that I've had a lot of success with over the past years (Reaper, Dorset Naga, Judy's 2015 Devil's Brain and Defcon 7).

Just have them under the lights now. Decided to start a bit later this year as last year I got totally munted with an extremely late summer.

KAOS said:
Anyone else growing this year?

Yep I am. I have maybe 15-20 sprouts (all of a wild fijian variety) so far sitting on the windowsill :)
That's all iv planted so far.
They are doing well so far...will post some pics once I figure out a new image hosting site to use... suggestions anyone?

Hey guys, I'm new around here but been growing for a few seasons now.

I'm trying to find true MOA scotch bonnets but having no luck locally and I've had 2 ebay purchases destroyed by customs. Does anyone have any seeds they would be willing to sell or excess seedlings in the Auckland area?

Hi Paul

Looked for some myself, but no luck. Some sellers on TM, but that's always lucky dip and no MOA seeds.

CarterKeynaee said:
Hey guys, I'm new around here but been growing for a few seasons now.

I'm trying to find true MOA scotch bonnets but having no luck locally and I've had 2 ebay purchases destroyed by customs. Does anyone have any seeds they would be willing to sell or excess seedlings in the Auckland area?

Hey man, get it from Judy: http://pepperlover.com/pepper-seeds/heat-level/hot-very-hot/moa-scotch-bonnet 

Ask her to put it inside a post card and send in an unmarked envelope, and you'll be sweet. Also, ask her not to pack it with freebies (she always does). This way you should  be sweet.

Sorry bud, just planted my MOA's on the 16th, not sure how viable the seeds are as the are from judy's 2015 lot but if i get a good turn out i can send you a plant- if you want it bad enough.. this is a variety i have never had grow to the point of fruit production, MOA scotch bonnets, brown moruga, datil and good ol tabasco peppers are all varieties that i have failed to grow, due to neglect or poor pest management on my part. so i have all these growing this year in a last ditch effort to redeem myself and make up for the disappointing growing seasons of late.

Grow list :
started late this year- (16/10/17)

reaper- swampy's seeds from this forum
reaper- judy's
red bubblegum- small/original
brown moruga
red moruga
yellow moruga
Douglah
red douglah
brown 7pod
primo
jonah
brainstrain
Devils brain
moa
datil
tabasco
takanotsume all from Pepperlovers 2015

asian fire, thai super, thai hot and another tabasco from kingseeds nz so we will see how these go.

The Brown Moruga's have already popped up so i am hoping the rest are still good seeds.

Good luck everybody, Cheers.

Edited: Due to poor punctuation and poorer education. :)

KAOS said:
Hi Paul

Looked for some myself, but no luck. Some sellers on TM, but that's always lucky dip and no MOA seeds.

Hey, yeah I have kept an eye on TM. I brought a bonnet plant from Kings a couple of years ago and have been growing from harvested seeds but I really want to get the MOA.

FireFlyNZ said:
Sorry bud, just planted my MOA's on the 16th, not sure how viable the seeds are as the are from judy's 2015 lot but if i get a good turn out i can send you a plant- if you want it bad enough.. this is a variety i have never had grow to the point of fruit production, MOA scotch bonnets, brown moruga, datil and good ol tabasco peppers are all varieties that i have failed to grow, due to neglect or poor pest management on my part. so i have all these growing this year in a last ditch effort to redeem myself and make up for the disappointing growing seasons of late.

Grow list :
started late this year- (16/10/17)

reaper- swampy's seeds from this forum
reaper- judy's
red bubblegum- small/original
brown moruga
red moruga
yellow moruga
Douglah
red douglah
brown 7pod
primo
jonah
brainstrain
Devils brain
moa
datil
tabasco
takanotsume all from Pepperlovers 2015

asian fire, thai super, thai hot and another tabasco from kingseeds nz so we will see how these go.

The Brown Moruga's have already popped up so i am hoping the rest are still good seeds.

Good luck everybody, Cheers.

Edited: Due to poor punctuation and poorer education. :)

Hey I'm actually gonna be down in Palmy for a couple of days in January. If you have any luck getting these going I would definitely grab a plant off you. Or if that doesn't work out, a pod or two at the season would be awesome.

I can swap you for something ive got going if you are interested in any. I've only got one of the 7 pots and goats but a few extra reapers, choc habs, nagas and jalapenos.

What I've got going this year, all started indoors 02 Sept 17:

Reaper
Dorset Naga
7 Pot Brain Strain Red
7 Pot Bubblegum
Orange Hab
Yellow Hab
Choc Hab
Peach Hab
Bahamian Goat
Scotch Bonnet
Serano
Jalapeno

Over wintered:
Scotch Bonnet - Dog ate it
Choc Hab - Dog ate it
Big Black Mama - Currently uneaten

Im just doing 4 regular varieties this year (reapers, 2nd year devil's brains, defcon 7s and dorset naga). All these 4 have been performing great for me so I need something reliable this year since only about growing 20 medium sized plants.

The rest (about 40 growbags) I'm growing out D3monic's crosses, some are F4s, 1st and 3rd generation were done in US and 2nd and now 4th generation are here. Need as much space as I can since I have 5 of his crosses this time, and being F3s and F4s there will still be a ton of variance.

SentencedToBurn said:
Im just doing 4 regular varieties this year (reapers, 2nd year devil's brains, defcon 7s and dorset naga). All these 4 have been performing great for me so I need something reliable this year since only about growing 20 medium sized plants.

The rest (about 40 growbags) I'm growing out D3monic's crosses, some are F4s, 1st and 3rd generation were done in US and 2nd and now 4th generation are here. Need as much space as I can since I have 5 of his crosses this time, and being F3s and F4s there will still be a ton of variance.
im slack and will pick up some plants from mitre10 this weekend. *handinginmycardonthewayoutthedoor*

Back