• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The Great Kiwi Pepper Thread

Just a few random pics of things. nothing too exciting. Im starting to get quite a few pods on the pubes which will be welcome.
Most of my chinense are starting to bud up now so will be flowering over the next few weeks id think.

reapers (i think) in ground
IMG_1970_zpsgnbvrjzw.jpg

more in ground reapers
IMG_1969_zpsfls2hzcx.jpg

#BP3 getting some buds. iv got a few of these and have high hopes something wicked will come out of them.
IMG_1973_zpsojcun84u.jpg

pube in raised bed is podding up well..one of the many branches full of pods :)
IMG_1960_zpsczxauetn.jpg

younger pube in pot is also making some pods
IMG_1958_zpsnultouyw.jpg

junglee mircha's are going well..very dense and tough plants these..and the favourite for cooking. if i could only grow one kind of plant, id grow this.  
IMG_1953_zpsczzafslw.jpg

group shot of some of the plants that are in pots
IMG_1974_zpsntbghfkr.jpg

All in all a bit of a slow start, but things are looking nice and green. Better than last year.
I sprayed the plants the other day as I was starting to see a few psyllids around. Figured id try blast them early this time before they had a chance to establish a real presence. 
So far so good...

Keen to see the other NZ members grows..

Mine are doing pretty well, despite the slow summer. Indoor ones have been fruiting for a while, but the outdoor ones started flowering maybe about 2 weeks ago, I found a first few tied up Dorset Naga pods just before.

Biggest outdoor plant so far - Peach Bhut, that pot is approx 40 liters, hoping for a lot of pods here:
2017_01_12_17_16_33.jpg

One of about 10 Dorset Nagas:
2017_01_12_17_17_11.jpg

A few reapers:
2017_01_12_17_17_29.jpg

Douglah:
2017_01_12_17_17_01.jpg

The 20 crosses I'm growing out for D3monic are doing well bute are a lot smaller since they're all in 5L growbags instead of these 50s.

Ive had a lot of aphids in the last few months, released these guys here about mid December: http://www.bioforce.co.nz/shop/products/aphidius/x_sku/01276.html and they did an even better job than the previous year. Also since Xmas I've had more and more psyllids so just had to stop off and get some Yates Success Ultra to get rid of them. The only thing that I've ever used that properly got rid of psyllids.

SentencedToBurn said:
Mine are doing pretty well, despite the slow summer. Indoor ones have been fruiting for a while, but the outdoor ones started flowering maybe about 2 weeks ago, I found a first few tied up Dorset Naga pods just before.

Biggest outdoor plant so far - Peach Bhut, that pot is approx 40 liters, hoping for a lot of pods here:
2017_01_12_17_16_33.jpg

One of about 10 Dorset Nagas:
2017_01_12_17_17_11.jpg

A few reapers:
2017_01_12_17_17_29.jpg

Douglah:
2017_01_12_17_17_01.jpg

The 20 crosses I'm growing out for D3monic are doing well bute are a lot smaller since they're all in 5L growbags instead of these 50s.

Ive had a lot of aphids in the last few months, released these guys here about mid December: http://www.bioforce.co.nz/shop/products/aphidius/x_sku/01276.html and they did an even better job than the previous year. Also since Xmas I've had more and more psyllids so just had to stop off and get some Yates Success Ultra to get rid of them. The only thing that I've ever used that properly got rid of psyllids.
Nice work. Your plants are looking really good and healthy. Your going to have a shit load of pods very soon lol.
Yea im hoping we are going to have a delayed summer, as opposed to just a cool / mild summer.

I dont think iv even seen an aphid this season which is nice. They are usually the first thing to appear. 

I use super shield rose spray for psyllids. Seems to work pretty good.

Its got the same active ingredient as yates "maverick" (9.6g/litre tau-fluvalinate) which is listed as working for psyllids.
But the super shield also has some anti fungal stuff added as well and does not list it as being suitable for psyllids.
Go figure.

nzchili said:
Nice work. Your plants are looking really good and healthy. Your going to have a shit load of pods very soon lol.
Yea im hoping we are going to have a delayed summer, as opposed to just a cool / mild summer.

I dont think iv even seen an aphid this season which is nice. They are usually the first thing to appear. 

I use super shield rose spray for psyllids. Seems to work pretty good.

Its got the same active ingredient as yates "maverick" (9.6g/litre tau-fluvalinate) which is listed as working for psyllids.
But the super shield also has some anti fungal stuff added as well and does not list it as being suitable for psyllids.
Go figure.

Oh dude sweet, if that works I might get that. That Yates Ultra crap is like $28 for a small bottle.  Will defintely give it a go next time I run out.

Yeah hopefully the summer will go well into March, so we all have enough time to get all our pods to ripen.

Just a few random pics from after watering plants this morning before work :)
IMG_2143_zpshiplhrki.jpg

im going to rip the pumpkin plant out..that grew itself.
IMG_2133_zpskbm8qxm0.jpg

IMG_2134_zps1i5npw3u.jpg

rocotos are getting quite big and plentiful

IMG_2137_zpsjoyeeftx.jpg

IMG_2138_zpsuijun6wu.jpg

IMG_2139_zps310pzbmr.jpg

and lastly, so far I have 7* sprouts from the assumed hybrid from the previous post :)  (6 pictured, one near top/next to the edge is a weed)
edited to more up to date pic. there are 2 that are showing signs of purple cotys (only 1 pictured here). interested to see over the next couple days if the others follow suit or if its going to be a rarer pheno from the bunch.  Will update.
IMG_2159_zpsay4eqjfp.jpg

Madhatter123 said:
a few photos of the chilli's, the jalapeño's are fruiting well and the late addition reapers and naga are budding now.

d982fb582a44151f696be64c11492441.jpg

ad009cb28c638e6e5af49f3528680ff6.jpg

206d6fbe1e8531d92cfaf7d3b4f472ab.jpg
Looks mint! Hopefully the summer will stick around for a bit longer, it normally takes about 6 weeks for superhot pods to ripen from the moment they're set, so if you get some set by start of Feb, you should have some before it gets cold.

SentencedToBurn said:
Looks mint! Hopefully the summer will stick around for a bit longer, it normally takes about 6 weeks for superhot pods to ripen from the moment they're set, so if you get some set by start of Feb, you should have some before it gets cold.
cool. there should be some set by then. i planted out 6 more jalapeño's so now have 12 if those plus the superhots you gave me so between then i should get a decent haul by the end of summer!

Madhatter123 said:
a few photos of the chilli's, the jalapeño's are fruiting well and the late addition reapers and naga are budding now.

Nice work man. you will have pods a plenty. Looks like you have a decent haul of tomatoes as well! 

nzchili said:

Nice work man. you will have pods a plenty. Looks like you have a decent haul of tomatoes as well! 
the soil isnt perfect for chillis i think. might need to lighten it up a bit next season.

well I think its safe to say this is a very unstable hybrid we are dealing with :)
look how dark some of these are can hardly make out the one at top right against the dirt..while others are normal/bright green. interesting. I will probably keep the purple ones, and the strongest green one and see what I end up with. A coty got knocked off one of the purple ones which is why it only has 1..hopefully it pulls though.
IMG_2177_zpsfoste0cz.jpg

nzchili said:
well I think its safe to say this is a very unstable hybrid we are dealing with :)
look how dark some of these are can hardly make out the one at top right against the dirt..while others are normal/bright green. interesting. I will probably keep the purple ones, and the strongest green one and see what I end up with. A coty got knocked off one of the purple ones which is why it only has 1..hopefully it pulls though.
IMG_2177_zpsfoste0cz.jpg

Man that's gotta be like an F2 with that much variation, awesome, cant wait to see what they look like!

SentencedToBurn said:

Man that's gotta be like an F2 with that much variation, awesome, cant wait to see what they look like!
That's what I figured as well :) my friend who also planted some has none that are purple. (so far)
im also pretty interested, some of them are almost black! crazy that some can be so dark and some can be green.

Madhatter, ok so an F1 would be the first generation of a new hybrid. An F1 is generally a mix between the two parents and will usually show some traits from both. its somewhat predictable. If you cross one plant with another, the plants that grow from those crossed seeds will be F1 generation.

Every subsequent generation after that is called F2, F3, F4 etc etc. the higher the "F" / generation the higher % chance of plants coming out the same/similar to the previous generation.
So basically you keep only taking seeds from the plants which show the traits you want to retain, and and each time you keep seeds from a new generation there is a higher % chance that they will come out with the traits your wanting to retain. (the hybrid plant must fertilise itself though otherwise its a new cross and its back to F1)

A bit weird but F2 is the most unstable generation of them all and is a real crap shoot where any traits from both parents can appear randomly. very unpredictable. In theory there will be the most variance between plants in the F2 generation, and it starts to get more "stable" after the F2 generation. off the top of my head at about F8 plants are pretty much stable and have something like a 99% chance of coming out like the parent plant. 

so the goal is to only keep seeds from the plants which have the traits you want. plant those seeds, then again only keep seeds from plants with the traits you want to retain. Keep doing it for multiple generations. Each generation after F2 (so from F3 onwards), becomes more stable/a higher chance of coming out like the parent who has the traits you have selected for.

That's how you make a new strain :)
Seeds that you buy are generally already "stable" / a high F generation as otherwise they would have a high chance of not coming out how they were supposed to.

nzchili said:
That's what I figured as well :) my friend who also planted some has none that are purple. (so far)
im also pretty interested, some of them are almost black! crazy that some can be so dark and some can be green.

Madhatter, ok so an F1 would be the first generation of a new hybrid. An F1 is generally a mix between the two parents and will usually show some traits from both. its somewhat predictable. If you cross one plant with another, the plants that grow from those crossed seeds will be F1 generation.

Every subsequent generation after that is called F2, F3, F4 etc etc. the higher the "F" / generation the higher % chance of plants coming out the same/similar to the previous generation.
So basically you keep only taking seeds from the plants which show the traits you want to retain, and and each time you keep seeds from a new generation there is a higher % chance that they will come out with the traits your wanting to retain. (the hybrid plant must fertilise itself though otherwise its a new cross and its back to F1)

A bit weird but F2 is the most unstable generation of them all and is a real crap shoot where any traits from both parents can appear randomly. very unpredictable. In theory there will be the most variance between plants in the F2 generation, and it starts to get more "stable" after the F2 generation. off the top of my head at about F8 plants are pretty much stable and have something like a 99% chance of coming out like the parent plant. 

so the goal is to only keep seeds from the plants which have the traits you want. plant those seeds, then again only keep seeds from plants with the traits you want to retain. Keep doing it for multiple generations. Each generation after F2 (so from F3 onwards), becomes more stable/a higher chance of coming out like the parent who has the traits you have selected for.

That's how you make a new strain :)
Seeds that you buy are generally already "stable" / a high F generation as otherwise they would have a high chance of not coming out how they were supposed to.
ah. i see. thanks! so anywhere up to 10 years to stabilise a new plant type. wow!

Madhatter123 said:
ah. i see. thanks! so anywhere up to 10 years to stabilise a new plant type. wow!

You can do it much faster, for example D3monic off here is making crosses, sending me seeds, I grow them out in about 5 months during our summer, send him the seeds, he does the same, etc. So in 1 year we are so far managing to grow out two generations. For one of his crosses I'm sending F4 seeds to him in about 6-7 weeks time.

And the trick here is to grow more plants, to get the most varience possible, to select the best result you're after and then grow that out.

p.s. nzchilli great write up man!

so something is stealing all my rocotos :( must be a rat or a possum maybe? pretty much all of them have been taken. have seen no signs of leftovers or half eaten ones or anything.. the stems look to have been chewed off by a rat or something. 
IMG_2188_zpsqm5u6hwt.jpg

IMG_2203_zps220bl4hk.jpg
IMG_2206_zpsf2wxaxje.jpg

IMG_2210_zpsslsqpmhr.jpg

update on the hybrid
IMG_2218_zpsrxpmm2qo.jpg

Back