The Great Kiwi Pepper Thread

Tofu said:
Pretty much every seed I sewed from nzchilli grew so I've got a few good plants in pots but.. I left it a bit late in the season so I'm not sure if I'll get any pods this year :/
I do have a wildfire chilli and an unknown type with heaps of pods tho (ill post pics when I get back home).
Also it looks like a move to dunedin might be on the cards so I don't know how growing down there will go!

Hey Pal, Glad to hear they grew / germ'd well! (and that I saved you from the Trademe pitfall) Someone was selling 10 moruga seeds for like $30 the other day!! crazy. 

It's nice to hear an update on the things you send out :)

If your plants are 20-40cm now, and starting to flower I would not worry too much. Maybe slightly late but I would say you should still get some pods. I have some plants that I started late that are probably around the same size as yours which im fully expecting to at least get a few pods off :)
Would be interested to see pics of your plants
cheers

az1000 said:
Very nice. What variety is that Pubescens?

I think its a costa rica rocoto. The label was lost a year or so ago :)
Its one tough plant..there is a bit of a story behind it.
I neglected that plant for ages. It stayed in a tiny pot and got severly root bound..(think 1L pot for 8 months) It sat and didn't get watered or anything...I literally forgot about it under a tree outside...
Winter came and all my other pepper plants had died (including my other pubes). The neglected plant in the tiny pot was still alive so I decided to throw it into a bigger pot which I had just removed another dead plant from that had succumbed to the cold..I figured it deserved to "have a go in a bigger pot" as it had survived, with no help, where everything else had died.

Stuck it in the new pot and neglected it some more....and here it is. IMO it turned out to be the tastiest of the all the pubes iv grown..and without a doubt the toughest.

I have been having lots of problems with broad mites and was suggested in the other kiwi thread to give lime sulphur a try for controlling them..I dont want to speak too soon but im pretty sure its having a positive effect. Anyway here are a few random pictures as things are starting to look a little better now! :)

scary reaper
image_zpsth71uabg.jpeg

a bit of reaper & a bit of aji verde
image_zpscxdhivdj.jpeg

aji verde pods are quite big...
image_zpsbannwhzb.jpeg

plants
image_zpsbkbnsy7y.jpeg

finally getting some decent podage...lamba mircha and farmers jalapeno here...nothing spectacular but at least my season is not a complete failure
image_zpsxousd6mj.jpeg

junglee mircha greening up since the last picture of them..
image_zpsycbidow8.jpeg

random plants
image_zpsftooskxi.jpeg

nzchili said:

I think its a costa rica rocoto. The label was lost a year or so ago :)
Its one tough plant..there is a bit of a story behind it.
I neglected that plant for ages. It stayed in a tiny pot and got severly root bound..(think 1L pot for 8 months) It sat and didn't get watered or anything...I literally forgot about it under a tree outside...
Winter came and all my other pepper plants had died (including my other pubes). The neglected plant in the tiny pot was still alive so I decided to throw it into a bigger pot which I had just removed another dead plant from that had succumbed to the cold..I figured it deserved to "have a go in a bigger pot" as it had survived, with no help, where everything else had died.

Stuck it in the new pot and neglected it some more....and here it is. IMO it turned out to be the tastiest of the all the pubes iv grown..and without a doubt the toughest.
Great story.

I really havnt had a lot of motivation or energy this season but ill post a couple snaps of my chillis.

Wildfire plant 

A random 'Super Hot' from the Whangarei Growers Market, I'm not sure what it is.

And my other plants thanks to NZChilie for supplying seed which I left a bit late
Brain strain
7 Pot White
Douglah
and one other that I cannot remember  :surprised:

Sorry its not very exciting aha

Fieryguitarist said:
Is anyone organising a pepper growing competition this year?
It was a bit of a flop (the current one), with a combination of late starts, pests and life getting in the way.

Im sure a few of us would be keen to try again this year though! Im in.

Hey guys, a word of warning - Fieryguitarist (although I have now blocked him) has been quite forward about requesting fresh pods, specifying quantities how how many he wants, all that without even an offer to pay for shipping, etc.

I went along at the start since we're all chilli brothers here, seed exchange, etc, but his attitude is pretty shit, zero fucks given about the effort people go through.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/51273-the-great-kiwi-pepper-thread/?p=1283472

Dude, chill. I'm sorry about that. I didn't mean to start any controversy. Maybe there are certain reasons why I can't offer to pay for mail. Like age, I am probably younger than most growers of this forum. The amount specification was stupid. Your right I shouldn't have said that. That's a pretty crap thing to say and I do regret that. I am sorry for misunderstandings. We don't really have to interact but don't publicly roast me. That's kinda a crap thing to do yourself.

Fieryguitarist said:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/51273-the-great-kiwi-pepper-thread/?p=1283472

Dude, chill. I'm sorry about that. I didn't mean to start any controversy. Maybe there are certain reasons why I can't offer to pay for mail. Like age, I am probably younger than most growers of this forum. The amount specification was stupid. Your right I shouldn't have said that. That's a pretty crap thing to say and I do regret that. I am sorry for misunderstandings. We don't really have to interact but don't publicly roast me. That's kinda a crap thing to do yourself.
How old can you be? I started working part time at 14, probably like most others on here. And if you're younger than that - then I'd question whether you should even be playing around with superhots. And im not "publicly roasting you", I'm warning others, whom I've known to be a bunch of honest guys who will no doubt feel compelled to help someone the same way I did.

Anyway, this thread has been very civilised up until this point. Back to chillies.

Right, back to chilli's, This is this years "BP3" (bhutlah pheno#3)
Plants been through some hard times but at least ill get some fresh seeds to carry on its line :)

image_zpsrb2rgdwc.jpeg

image_zpstpqcnpot.jpeg

Dude that looks awesome, I saw Clint from FireDragon post a pic of his Bhutlas last night, looked a bit different - but I don't know what generation that is.

Your top pic, the colour/texture is very similar to Devil's Brain when they're green, real light but bumpy as. Here is a pic of one of mine before they ripened:
2016_01_23_13_02_14.jpg

SentencedToBurn said:
Dude that looks awesome, I saw Clint from FireDragon post a pic of his Bhutlas last night, looked a bit different - but I don't know what generation that is.

Your top pic, the colour/texture is very similar to Devil's Brain when they're green, real light but bumpy as. Here is a pic of one of mine before they ripened:
2016_01_23_13_02_14.jpg

Where can I see pics of Clints strain?.

Mine was a mutation that originally came out of some brown bhutlah seeds I got from semilla's.
The other year I grew 3 plants and they all turned out different so I named the different pheno's BP (bhutlah pheno)#1, 2 and 3.

One of them went red, not brown, looked meaner, and was the hottest out of all my chillis...that's the BP#3 strain above :)

Back