• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

the kitchen sink

and now, the one that started it all, the gut wrenching......
KITCHEN SINK~

habenero-20
jalepeno-20
jolkia-10
chipotle-2 cans
cayanne peppers (dried ok)- 8oz
ground cayanne- 1 cup
cajun spice-1 cup
chili powder- 1 cup
red pepper flakes-1/2 cup
paprika-1/2cup
garlic powder-1/2 cup
onion powder1/2 cup
celery salt-1/4 cup
black pepper- 1/4 cup
white pepper- 1/4 cup
ginger-2 Tbs
worcestershire- 1 bottle
tobasco-2 bottle
siracha-1 bottle
honey-1/2 cup
tomato juice or tomatoes- 1/2 gal
salt to taste

first lightly grill habs, jalapenos, jolkias. puree. add chipotles and cayannes.. then add chili powder, cayanne, paprika, red pepper flakes and cajun.
at this point you should have a thick paste, i'm sure you can find uses for it at this stage
now, add rest of ngredients except tomato. add tomato to thin out to a a more sauce like consistancy. place the whole mess in stock pot and simmer for 45 minutes.

this sauce will be thick... but you can add it to other sauces to spice up wings, add it chili or salsa, or even use it as a bbq sauce.

the tomato juice and siracha provide enough acid... i've had this sit out at room temp in a commercial kitchen, was still good after a month.. better at the end of the month actually.

but if you're concerned, you can add some white vinegar, or some generic hot wing sauce, tho the second option for some reason takes away from the heat....

No offense, but it's a strange recipe, looks like you just typed it up.

There's not enough acid in tomato juice to preserve that's why citric acid is added to canned tomatoes, and the preservatives in the commercial hot sauce is enough for that bottle of sauce, not this list of ingredients, I guarantee you. Not saying it's not tasty, just saying it needs to be in the fridge.

Acids do more than preserve, they cut sweetness, and balance flavors. Basically add contrast. This could use acid.

to be honest, yes, i am offended. you know, i've been working in resturants for 20 years, and i've seen some recipes that made no sense, crazy amounts, odd pairings of ingredidents.. but i've come to learn that i can't judge a recipe by its contents, but by the end product. there is no great law that says if you use this ingredient and this much, yu need this other ingredient in this amount, and it can only work this way. the great thing about food is that it can suprise you.

i thought this was a forum that was opened minded. i don't mind questions, or constructive criticism from those who have actually TRIED the recipe, but don't assume you know are an expert on my recipes when you haven't tested it out. am i defensive..yes, as it is my creation, and i have made my recipes many times to adjust the seasonings and consistancies. yes, my sauce recipes are very differnt than traditional ones. and i will rarely use a mass produced product like texas pete, cattleman's bbq sauce...the most i ever use like that is tobasco (till i grow my own) and worcestershire...
so what i guess i'm saying here is... we're sharing recipes here.. make them, try them, change them..but don't just start slamming them becase you don't like what you "see"

Dude, come back! I'm sure it's great! If you are that offended by my comment then I am sure the sauce is killer.

Thanks for posting the recipe again. Sorry I thought it was made up, but I see that all the time on the net. A lot of people post recipes they've never tried.

dreamofdarkcat said:
i thought this was a forum that was opened minded. i don't mind questions, or constructive criticism from those who have actually TRIED the recipe, but don't assume you know are an expert on my recipes when you haven't tested it out.

Many people here are experts at making sauces. I'm sure this tastes great but it does not seem safe. I don't see how anyone (except a cook at an army base) could possibly use all this sauce before it goes bad.

There are also some things that do make it look like something PMD would have made up when he was dreaming about cavemen:

cayanne peppers (dried ok)- 8oz

Really? It doesn't make any different if you use dried or fresh? I would guess 8oz of dried cayennes would add a little more heat than 8oz of fresh ones. And exactly what kind of chilepowder would I use? 20 habaneros? Large, small, medium? Red, orange, chocolate? And we all know tomatoes and tomato juice are interchangeable...

Come on - you ARE joking!

Back