• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Krakens 2015-2016 Glog

*The Krakens 2015-2016 GLOG - Updated 12th of February 2016 ... Even More GREAT Peppers Added !!! 

In the process of beginning my 2015 - 2016 grow here in Australia.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~*~ BIG THANKS TO  ~*~

Scorched, jcw10TC,  MisterBigglesworth, frank225 & LindbergF 
.....Thanks for your wonderful seed's .. I'll keep you posted !!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*******   MY GROW LIST HAS GONE SO UP IN SMOKE I'M NOT EVEN GOING TO KEEP THE LIST UP   *******
Lots of super hots and lots of unusual crosses... Along with some crossing projects of my own and some base varieties..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is where the babies were popped

My home made seedling incubator.... :P

This is my makeshift propagation unit that's in my shed.. In case your wondering I purchased a standard 6 shelf adjustable metal shelving unit for $60, painted the MDF shelves in matte white paint ( to help with waterproofing and light reflection) .. I obtained some office fluro double tube light T8 units from a renovation at my work with 5000k 32 watt globes in each slot. and set 4x of them up under each shelf above. I then spaced the shelves at varying heights to allow for different plant progressions and left the top section with no lights as I use it to propagate seeds. 

The whole thing is surrounded by a big plastic bag I got from a sofa I purchased and I cut open one side and using another sheet of plastic made a flap to cover the front.

In summer I need to keep the flap open or it gets to hot but in winter its just perfect... I get a steady 35 degrees Celsius on the top propagation shelf and a steady drop down to 20-25 degree's at the bottom..

I can fit plants about 4 inches tall from the pot on the second shelf, 6 inches on the third and about 12 on the fourth and 20 on the bottom, I run them on a 16 on 8 off timer and put a fan on them every few days... and from there, I cycle them out to my small hothouse that gets about 4 hours of direct sunlight and 6 hours of reflected a day. This sits at a cosy 35-40 degrees in summer and 15-20 in winter generally.

****** Photo's and more info to come...*******

I have just planted a whole heap more crosses and varieties... I plan on going through them all over the next few days and locking in my current grow list.. It just keeps exploding out further and further, thanks a lot in part to the great members of THP who share the love .. It's much appreciated..

So I just ate a quarter piece of the ' Hells Rose ' ... I think I may of underestimated the sweetness, its actually quiet nice, and I didn't get the strong chemical taste I did last night and the floral taste backed off a bit too, so I'm thinking maybe the first quarter I ate had more placenta possibly ?? .. Also the burn today seemed to concentrate on the back of the tongue and back roof of mouth/throat. The rest will be eaten dried to see what flavours and heat come through..

** 3 minutes after writing this post... Thought the burn was passing and bam.. Gums start to kick in with a burn , not intense, almost nice in its tingling heat..

Comptine said:
The Hell's rose is a really nice looking pepper. Did all the fruit look the same or are only some rose shaped?

This was another late bloomer .. And there was only a few pods that set .. All the pods looked similar but as most where premature in their size it wasn't a good representation.. The few that got larger were all similar with folded lobes and indented centres.
They all have that flower impression this one was just the largest and best example. I've already chopped the few that had seed , if another one manages to make it to a good size I'll photograph that one too..

My plants are all but done here now as we go towards winter so there's only a few with pods left and there mainly white bhuts and small reaper pods. I already have F3 in the dirt today for both so by the start of spring they should be setting new pods

I'm thinking of back crossing it to one of its parents to see if that can enhance the shape and flavour more.
I took some photos of the third plants pods that I grew of the F2 , pods were ok, nothing exciting. Some looked like they were going the way of the Oni but fell short, the rest looked closer to one of the original parents.

I might post some pics later. I have yet to try out these ones yet.

I only grew three plants of the F2 .. So no more exciting surprises from them anymore =P

**P.S And to add. If it doesn't keep the splayed petal look I'm not concerned, the pheno still looks crazy enough..

A break from all the new and unusual.. Here is a pic of one of my favourite peppers and one of the reasons I began growing them...

Brazilian Starfish also known as the Atomic Starfish..

Brazilian Starfish

And here's one of the thorniest peppers I have ever seen or handled, It was very hard to capture just how prickly it was in a single photo but let me just say that it had the texture of a lizard.. =P

TKP Carolina Reaper - Super Thorn Left Side

TKP Carolina Reaper - Super Thorn Right Side

Holy Hell...Literally.. Just ate another quarter of the Hells Rose, now it was dried .... That thing was awful.. Awfully hot that is!! OMG.. Instant powerful throat burn that had me bent over holding my throat.. Never felt anything like it. My brow was beading with sweat almost as fast as I closed my teeth together around it..!

I was so shocked by the heat I spat it out into the bin.... Now as much as I love to grow the hottest of the hot and I put hot sauce and powder on everything I am by no means a super hot devourer. There is no way I could munch down a 20 gram Moruga scorpion and chew it down and sit back with watering eyes to give you my review.. I would be walking around grabbing my head, yelling for the milk.... and 5 glasses later through blurry eyes I would probably be able to concentrate long enough to talk to you again...

Saying all this you may understand how this piece of pepper impacted me lol.. And a stronger more attuned pepper lover would have probably held onto it long enough to swallow it lol.. I have one more quarter left, I will have another go once I recover from this piece..

Phew... Finally my 'Oni' pepper seeds popped, I was starting to think they were overcooked in the pod as I let it go as long as I could ..

I planted 12 and can see about 6 starting to breakthrough the soil .. Can't wait to have these bad boys growing next gen ..
Just realised its only been 8 days, but I'm so used to 4-5 day pops that 8 days feels like forever !! I only soaked them in tea solution for half a day though instead of a whole day, that might if made the difference ...

***** UPDATE - 12 from 12 seeds popped ... At least the germination rate is good !! Now its just sit and wait for the resulting pheno's to take shape !!

Here's a pod from the third plant of the triplets.. This was the plant that didn't really go anywhere, pods were varying in size but generally smaller than its sister's and had no unique form. The flavour was nice and fruity and the heat was high but nothing significant enough to continue further.  I will grow out a few seeds just to make sure its not hiding a gem but I will probably unload the plants if they stay like this one.

TKP Special Cross - Ugly Brother

Hells Rose seeds are popping and I even managed to get a couple of green scorpions to pop and that was unexpected as the last batch didn't pop at all ...

As an amateur photographer I really must say I love your photos. Simple yet elegant and perfectly show off the beauty of the peppers. Great job!
I liked the Oni, but Hells Rose is even better. Stunning pepper! Hopefully it becomes a stable strain and we'll be able to grow it in a couple of years :)

Ohjay said:
As an amateur photographer I really must say I love your photos. Simple yet elegant and perfectly show off the beauty of the peppers. Great job!
I liked the Oni, but Hells Rose is even better. Stunning pepper! Hopefully it becomes a stable strain and we'll be able to grow it in a couple of years :)

Thank you very much... :P
Just like to give a BIG THANKS to my boy Justin ( jcw10TC ) .... Really appreciate the Genetics you sent my way down here to Australia, arrived in perfect condition ... It has really added some flavour to this years grow and given me some great crossing potential .. I'll keep you posted on the plants... Thanks again mate .. ;)

*** Just another 20-30 varieties and I should be about right !!!!! :mouthonfire:

WOOT!! 

FINALY had some of my Chocolate Habanero x TKP Bhut Jolokia Snub Nose F1 seeds pop!! ... Was really thinking they were duds, I let the pod ripen right out and it was a quality pod but I had my doubts..  But its all good now.. I'm excited to see where these go even in the F1's for colour and shape.. Hoping they might go down the line of a segmented looking peach pod with that pimpled texture  ( Chocolate hab shape with bhut colour and texture.... )

KrakenPeppers said:
WOOT!! 

FINALY had some of my Chocolate Habanero x TKP Bhut Jolokia Snub Nose F1 seeds pop!! ... Was really thinking they were duds, I let the pod ripen right out and it was a quality pod but I had my doubts..  But its all good now.. I'm excited to see where these go even in the F1's for colour and shape.. Hoping they might go down the line of a segmented looking peach pod with that pimpled texture  ( Chocolate hab shape with bhut colour and texture.... )
Sounds like a great cross.  Choc Habs have always been one of my favorites.  I really got back into growing from seed last year due to my desire to have chocolate habs again and then found out in my 6 year break about a thousand new varieties appeared.  Then ended up with no chocolate habs as both plants were crossed.   Got 3 plain chocolate habs this year from hopefully an isolated source and about 10 variants of them.  Should get something out of that many.

jcw10tc said:
Sounds like a great cross.  Choc Habs have always been one of my favorites.  I really got back into growing from seed last year due to my desire to have chocolate habs again and then found out in my 6 year break about a thousand new varieties appeared.  Then ended up with no chocolate habs as both plants were crossed.   Got 3 plain chocolate habs this year from hopefully an isolated source and about 10 variants of them.  Should get something out of that many.

There's just something about Chocolate Habs.. They mesmerise the eye  =D .. I'll keep you posted..

KrakenPeppers said:
Brazilian Starfish also known as the Atomic Starfish..

Brazilian Starfish

Is this a cross of some kind?  All of my Brazilian Starfish plants are putting on pods that have much LESS pronounced star-points and more pendulous.  I received my seeds directly from pepperlover.com last year.

XPof1GH.jpg

KingLeerUK said:

Is this a cross of some kind?  All of my Brazilian Starfish plants are putting on pods that have much LESS pronounced star-points and more pendulous.  I received my seeds directly from pepperlover.com last year.

XPof1GH.jpg

No, not a cross.. I have seen many strains of Brazilian but find mine to be one of the best.. On occasion I get a " fat pod " that really fills out and has a smooth face and thickens right out, but I'd say that's about 1 in 20 that do that, the rest just look like this..

TKP BHUT JOLOKIA SNUB NOSE - Officially not calling this a Peach anymore.. I'm going with Orange..

Here's some more of the TKP Bhut Jolokia Snub Nose (BJSN) - 2 of the pods got to the standard size and the others where obviously under as we head into winter.. The plant is still maintaining that size so I am confident its a true genetic trait ..

TKP Bhut Jolokia Snub Nose - Single Pod

TKP Bhut Jolokia Snub Nose - Small to Large Pods

Back