• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Krakens 2015-2016 Glog

*The Krakens 2015-2016 GLOG - Updated 12th of February 2016 ... Even More GREAT Peppers Added !!! 

In the process of beginning my 2015 - 2016 grow here in Australia.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~*~ BIG THANKS TO  ~*~

Scorched, jcw10TC,  MisterBigglesworth, frank225 & LindbergF 
.....Thanks for your wonderful seed's .. I'll keep you posted !!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*******   MY GROW LIST HAS GONE SO UP IN SMOKE I'M NOT EVEN GOING TO KEEP THE LIST UP   *******
Lots of super hots and lots of unusual crosses... Along with some crossing projects of my own and some base varieties..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is where the babies were popped

My home made seedling incubator.... :P

This is my makeshift propagation unit that's in my shed.. In case your wondering I purchased a standard 6 shelf adjustable metal shelving unit for $60, painted the MDF shelves in matte white paint ( to help with waterproofing and light reflection) .. I obtained some office fluro double tube light T8 units from a renovation at my work with 5000k 32 watt globes in each slot. and set 4x of them up under each shelf above. I then spaced the shelves at varying heights to allow for different plant progressions and left the top section with no lights as I use it to propagate seeds. 

The whole thing is surrounded by a big plastic bag I got from a sofa I purchased and I cut open one side and using another sheet of plastic made a flap to cover the front.

In summer I need to keep the flap open or it gets to hot but in winter its just perfect... I get a steady 35 degrees Celsius on the top propagation shelf and a steady drop down to 20-25 degree's at the bottom..

I can fit plants about 4 inches tall from the pot on the second shelf, 6 inches on the third and about 12 on the fourth and 20 on the bottom, I run them on a 16 on 8 off timer and put a fan on them every few days... and from there, I cycle them out to my small hothouse that gets about 4 hours of direct sunlight and 6 hours of reflected a day. This sits at a cosy 35-40 degrees in summer and 15-20 in winter generally.

****** Photo's and more info to come...*******

I have just planted a whole heap more crosses and varieties... I plan on going through them all over the next few days and locking in my current grow list.. It just keeps exploding out further and further, thanks a lot in part to the great members of THP who share the love .. It's much appreciated..

I close it down when I take pod shots for all over recording value, but for pretty I just open it out and blow it out a bit .. I like it for the HDR , creates those sharp zones that pop against the softness

** Might try a few at f12-16 to see how they go with HDR

KrakenPeppers said:
I close it down when I take pod shots for all over recording value, but for pretty I just open it out and blow it out a bit .. I like it for the HDR , creates those sharp zones that pop against the softness
Yeah your shots are great, shoot in a lightbox? Homemade or bought? 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Yeah your shots are great, shoot in a lightbox? Homemade or bought? 
Most of those shots are a piece of a4 paper sitting in front of a window ..
The rest have been on a chopping board under ceiling lights , on a window ledge or on a knife block.
I'm in the process of making up light box for my pepper shots.

Hoorah....

Jays Peach Ghost Scorpions, Brazilian Ghosts, Buckeye Butchlah and a few more great variety's have just popped.. About to put another 10 or so variety's through the popper !! having to slow down now so I can cycle them through my hot house that is fast running out of space. Might have to invest in another one for this season ... !! I'm planning on having 20-30 variety's in 20 Gallons and the rest in 10's or so .. Space might be an issue lol

Once plants look like more than plastic cups and pots Ill post some more picks =D

Sorry for the lack of updates.... I'm currently fighting a plague of aphids in my hot houses and growing area so I have been spending WAY to much time trying to de-bug seedling.. Due to the cold weather there are no predatory bugs around either, especially hard getting them into a semi sealed system...

As such I have a lot of tiny plant's with damaged leaves and or missing leaves.. I have confidence I will save most of them, and once they get past that initial phase they are doing ok.. although those dirty green caterpillars have been munching my big leaves.

BAAH...

just have to make it over this hump and look forward to heading into warmer weather soon. Hope to post something special soon..

Hope everyone's grows are doing well on the other side of the world.. =D 

Sucks to hear about your aphid troubles. Hope you get them eradicated. I think I'd be willing to deal with some aphids about now. Instead of the damn Asiatic garden beetles I'm battling. Come out every morning to find more leaves shredded and chewed to almost nothing. I went through my containers yesterday and found 6 or 7 in each. They burrow down along the sides during the day and come out at night to wreak havoc. Thought it was slugs for while but could never find any. Going to set up some light traps today. Other than that all I can do is go out every night and pick them off plants by hand. Around 465 plants is a lot of plants to go through. I was going to buy nematodes this year but didn't. Now I'm kicking myself in the ass. Will definitely be ordering some soon to get them in the soil and going for next year.

Scorched said:
Sucks to hear about your aphid troubles. Hope you get them eradicated. I think I'd be willing to deal with some aphids about now. Instead of the damn Asiatic garden beetles I'm battling. Come out every morning to find more leaves shredded and chewed to almost nothing. I went through my containers yesterday and found 6 or 7 in each. They burrow down along the sides during the day and come out at night to wreak havoc. Thought it was slugs for while but could never find any. Going to set up some light traps today. Other than that all I can do is go out every night and pick them off plants by hand. Around 465 plants is a lot of plants to go through. I was going to buy nematodes this year but didn't. Now I'm kicking myself in the ass. Will definitely be ordering some soon to get them in the soil and going for next year.

That's no good... They look like a monster to deal with.. Never had anything like that down here... To be honest there is little insect activity in this region where I live.. Little problem bugs / little predatory bugs / no bees etc.. Its good in a way but a few more predatory insects would be good..

Although to my little seedlings those aphids are like monsters.. I'm literally spraying them in a top notch aphid spray... they die.. Come back in two days and there covered again.. Its sad seeing a seedling with only its first true leaves with 20 aphids attached to it... Multiply that by the bigger ones that have 50-100 or so and the bigger ones again with 200-300... multiply that by the 200 odd seedlings.. 50 small plants and 30 large plants and I'm talking hell at the moment..

Its such a balancing act between keeping them warm (closing them up) keeping them aerated (Opening them up) keeping them dry enough to flourish with out letting them go dry and die, watering them but not too much that it doesn't dry out and becomes waterlogged.... on top of applying sprays / debugging by hand..

It wouldn't be so bad if the plants were not in slow growth and struggle times.. I could just blast them and treat them rough.. But every leaf matters to the plant atm with their slow production..

I can see why it's just easier to start at the start of a growing season lol .. But I do like going into it with 6-8 inch plants, so I'll continue to struggle through...   GOTTA LOVE PEPPERS....

YAY... Another 8 varieties have just arrived to hit the ground for this years grow... Thanks to Mr. Delaney and LindbergF.. Money well spent.

Aji Chirel                                              
Aji Jobito                                             
Aji Llaneron                                        
Aji Margariteno                                   
Aji Pepon                                                                                    
Aji Pinga De Perro                              
Aji Rosita                                            
Aji Rosita Rojo                                    

I confess to not being aware of any of those Aji variants, but am smitten on Aji amarilo, so I think I would like these too.  Any chance of a link of purchase to find out more about them?  

KrakenPeppers said:
Aji Chirel                                              
Aji Jobito                                             
Aji Llaneron                                        
Aji Margariteno                                   
Aji Pepon                                                                                    
Aji Pinga De Perro                              
Aji Rosita                                            
Aji Rosita Rojo                                    

Never heard of these either, would be interested in knowing where to get them myself. Cheers.

Aphids suck. Had a small bout with them last year but nothing compared to what you are battling. This probably the main reason I don't try to over winter. It's one thing for my peppers to have them but if I brought them inside I'd be in some deep s##t if they got on sites house plants. No bugs would be nice. I cannot go outside without battling a plague of mosquitoes, deer fly's, and buffalo gnats. Good thing though by fall we are overrun with ladybugs so aphids outdoor not usually a big deal for me. Did have cabbage worms almost destroy all the cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli. Then had 1000s of some other caterpillars encroaching on the main pepper patch, but nuked them, so that battle over for now. Next worry is the occasional Japanese beetle I have been finding. I hope they don't like peppers, those things can devastate an area very fast.

Comptine said:

Never heard of these either, would be interested in knowing where to get them myself. Cheers.

Bumper said:
I confess to not being aware of any of those Aji variants, but am smitten on Aji amarilo, so I think I would like these too.  Any chance of a link of purchase to find out more about them?  

There is a thread already started about these after a very good review on the Aji Jobito... I would relay all your questions to that thread as there is already a great seed supply ready to go that will directly benefit Lindberg while supplying you with some GREAT varieties like the ones I received... Look up " The best tasting non-hot C.chinense ever - The Aji jobito  "  in the search bar to find the topic and also see a great Nigel review.. .. SmokenFire is supplying the seeds so he would be your contact.. The thread also has some great pics about some of these peppers..

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44920-the-best-tasting-non-hot-cchinense-ever-the-aji-jobito/

KrakenPeppers said:
There is a thread already started about these after a very good review on the Aji Jobito... I would relay all your questions to that thread as there is already a great seed supply ready to go that will directly benefit Lindberg while supplying you with some GREAT varieties like the ones I received... Look up " The best tasting non-hot C.chinense ever - The Aji jobito  "  in the search bar to find the topic and also see a great Nigel review.. .. SmokenFire is supplying the seeds so he would be your contact.. The thread also has some great pics about some of these peppers..

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44920-the-best-tasting-non-hot-cchinense-ever-the-aji-jobito/

Thank you! Just finished reading through the thread, sent SmokenFire a PM as well. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on a few seeds. 

KrakenPeppers said:
Aji Chirel                                                                                                                                 
Aji Pinga De Perro                              

I've been in touch with Smokenfire and sent him the money for the other 6 varieties. Just curious where you got these two, and more importantly, where I can get them lol. 

Comptine said:

Thank you! Just finished reading through the thread, sent SmokenFire a PM as well. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on a few seeds. 

Nice one.. The Aji Jobito sounds like a winner and a rarity at the moment.. The Margariteno looks tasty too.. I just put some seeds into soak tonight.. !!
Comptine said:

I've been in touch with Smokenfire and sent him the money for the other 6 varieties. Just curious where you got these two, and more importantly, where I can get them lol. 

My wife bought my lot direct from Lindberg's new website.. But as the turmoil in Cumana is bad at the moment he shipped all his products to Joe Delaney.. He then on-sent them to me, I can only assume that those two where a part of his pack he had made on his site before he stopped using it (for now)..

KrakenPeppers said:

Nice one.. The Aji Jobito sounds like a winner and a rarity at the moment.. The Margariteno looks tasty too.. I just put some seeds into soak tonight.. !!

My wife bought my lot direct from Lindberg's new website.. But as the turmoil in Cumana is bad at the moment he shipped all his products to Joe Delaney.. He then on-sent them to me, I can only assume that those two where a part of his pack he had made on his site before he stopped using it (for now)..

They all look like really cool peppers to grow! I'm really happy I jumped on that ship, and I'm glad to be helping out a chilihead in need. I understand quite a lot of money has been raised. 

I see, I guess they must have come as 'bonus seeds' almost. If possible, could I buy some of them off you at the end of your season when you've been able to harvest some? 

Anyway, I'll be following your grow with interest, it'll be fun to see how they all turn out. 

Back