• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Krakens 2015-2016 Glog

*The Krakens 2015-2016 GLOG - Updated 12th of February 2016 ... Even More GREAT Peppers Added !!! 

In the process of beginning my 2015 - 2016 grow here in Australia.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~*~ BIG THANKS TO  ~*~

Scorched, jcw10TC,  MisterBigglesworth, frank225 & LindbergF 
.....Thanks for your wonderful seed's .. I'll keep you posted !!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*******   MY GROW LIST HAS GONE SO UP IN SMOKE I'M NOT EVEN GOING TO KEEP THE LIST UP   *******
Lots of super hots and lots of unusual crosses... Along with some crossing projects of my own and some base varieties..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is where the babies were popped

My home made seedling incubator.... :P

This is my makeshift propagation unit that's in my shed.. In case your wondering I purchased a standard 6 shelf adjustable metal shelving unit for $60, painted the MDF shelves in matte white paint ( to help with waterproofing and light reflection) .. I obtained some office fluro double tube light T8 units from a renovation at my work with 5000k 32 watt globes in each slot. and set 4x of them up under each shelf above. I then spaced the shelves at varying heights to allow for different plant progressions and left the top section with no lights as I use it to propagate seeds. 

The whole thing is surrounded by a big plastic bag I got from a sofa I purchased and I cut open one side and using another sheet of plastic made a flap to cover the front.

In summer I need to keep the flap open or it gets to hot but in winter its just perfect... I get a steady 35 degrees Celsius on the top propagation shelf and a steady drop down to 20-25 degree's at the bottom..

I can fit plants about 4 inches tall from the pot on the second shelf, 6 inches on the third and about 12 on the fourth and 20 on the bottom, I run them on a 16 on 8 off timer and put a fan on them every few days... and from there, I cycle them out to my small hothouse that gets about 4 hours of direct sunlight and 6 hours of reflected a day. This sits at a cosy 35-40 degrees in summer and 15-20 in winter generally.

****** Photo's and more info to come...*******

I have just planted a whole heap more crosses and varieties... I plan on going through them all over the next few days and locking in my current grow list.. It just keeps exploding out further and further, thanks a lot in part to the great members of THP who share the love .. It's much appreciated..

TKP Bhut Jolokia Snub Nose - Peach Gen 1

This was initialy a plant that was an uknown quanitity, it was grown from a batch of Peach Bhut seed and while several other Peach Bhut plants grew true with long, rough and bent pods, this one was different.This one started off as a mutant that was growing flowers with up to 5 pistols and conjoined flowers. The pods were very irregular and the ones that seemed to be a better more natural shape were shiny and plump so I thought it must of been a random seed or cross.

Example

Several Pistol Pod

Muto Pod from Several pistols

Normal looking Muto pod from one pistol

But After the first 6-8 small mutant pods grew and ripened at a very small size with no seeds the plant settled down and began growing standard flowers that continued on to grow unusualy short but bumpy pods. They represent Bhut Jolokia Peach pods in texture, and colour but the shape and size is very different. They look more like a Habanero with the skin of a Bhut. All of the pods have grown to a similar size, shape and texture so far since the muto pods finished.

They pods have almost ripened and I intend to taste test and cut them open shortly. There is every chance these are a cross, I would just find it hard to believe as the skin texture and colour are so true that if it was a random cross the Peach Bhut traits must be dominant.

TKP Bhut Jolokia Snub Nose - Peach - Almost Ripe

TKP Bhut Jolokia Snub Nose - Peach - Another Pod

The pods all grew quick and consistently and only started to slow down just prior to going into the ripening stage. They have a good hollow feeling like they grew to their correct size and didn't stop prematurely, so I believe this is the plants true pheno and not a environmental pod mutation.

Excitingly too If these happen to be a true new pheno that grows out I have already crossed them several times into other cross pods (when I seen how muto the flowers looked I wanted to preserve the mutation if possible).

Fingers crossed that they taste great, remain true and continue onto the next generation.

More updates to come.. :fireball:  :fireball: :fireball:  :fireball:  

KrakenPeppers said:
TKP Bhut Jolokia Snub Nose - Peach Gen 1

This was initialy a plant that was an uknown quanitity, it was grown from a batch of Peach Bhut seed and while several other Peach Bhut plants grew true with long, rough and bent pods, this one was different.This one started off as a mutant that was growing flowers with up to 5 pistols and conjoined flowers. The pods were very irregular and the ones that seemed to be a better more natural shape were shiny and plump so I thought it must of been a random seed or cross.

Example

Several Pistol Pod

Muto Pod from Several pistols

Normal looking Muto pod from one pistol

But After the first 6-8 small mutant pods grew and ripened at a very small size with no seeds the plant settled down and began growing standard flowers that continued on to grow unusualy short but bumpy pods. They represent Bhut Jolokia Peach pods in texture, and colour but the shape and size is very different. They look more like a Habanero with the skin of a Bhut. All of the pods have grown to a similar size, shape and texture so far since the muto pods finished.

They pods have almost ripened and I intend to taste test and cut them open shortly. There is every chance these are a cross, I would just find it hard to believe as the skin texture and colour are so true that if it was a random cross the Peach Bhut traits must be dominant.

TKP Bhut Jolokia Snub Nose - Peach - Almost Ripe

The pods all grew quick and consistently and only started to slow down just prior to going into the ripening stage. They have a good hollow feeling like they grew to their correct size and didn't stop prematurely, so I believe this is the plants true phenol and not a environmental pod mutation.

Excitingly too If these happen to be a true new phenol that grows out I have already crossed them several times into other cross pods (when I seen how muto the flowers looked I wanted to preserve the mutation if possible).

Fingers crossed that they taste great, remain true and continue onto the next generation.

More updates to come.. :fireball:  :fireball: :fireball:  :fireball:  
Looking and sounding great.  Can't wait for the taste test

Just had a new batch of peppers popping.. and I just put a few of the bigger plants into a shaded spot in the hothouse to start getting some UV hardening.. Have to top them soon... Also started purchasing my nice large pots for my mother plants... Bah its all so much work.. But so worth it lol..

PS.. I got one whole seed from one of my smaller pod crosses.. (Boo) put it in the dirt yesterday.. Fingers crossed its lucky !! lol..

Hell yeah it's worth it. I find myself in the middle of prepping ground or watering/feeding all these plants and getting a bit tired or discouraged and then I just think of all the pods that will be on these plants come harvest (hopefully) and it gives me all new energy.

It just dawned on me yesterday that I've got to find a chest freezer for all these pods. I plan on trying to sell some and give some away but if all the plants have even just a decent harvest I'm going to be swimming in pods.

My babies are starting to get some size.. Moved the first 20 out too the hothouse, which was lucky because my little box is running out of room, Ill need to get the bottom shelf turned on and put it to use soon...

Getting full now !!

My little (big) babies..

Ate my first Peach Snub nose last night. Probably wasn't the best pod, it had a small patch of dark inside but otherwise the pod was fine.. It had a very strong flavour but wasn't too floral, and it seemed sweeter with a tad less bhut flavour. The heat was intense almost instantly ans burned the tip of my tongue roof of my mouth and once I swallowed there was an instant ache in the pit of my stomach that I don't get with other peppers, It was like a small painful fire burning inside me.

The total heat was on par with a regular peach bhut but I think the flavour was better and heat more instant.

The other pods I have look like they will be better specimens..

First snub nose was good, I expect the next ones to be even better =D

So the First Snub Nose was a little weirdly cooked and while it looked the goods, had a little bad spot.  Here is the second and third pods tested off the plant...

The second pod was a cross pod it was about the same size and similar shape to the first but the taste was more consistent and hotter than the first.

The third pod was in itself an anomaly, it was an unusual shape and had a real blush red to the colouring almost a Sunburned Orange colour rather than peach. This pod was ridiculously oily and HOT.. I rate it up there with a Butch-T with a violent quick burn that makes you want to cough... Not sure if this is left over remnants of the mutant side of the plant or a glimpse into a possible pheno that could be grown out on the next generation or what but it was intense.

After these pods I'm really starting to think that the plant is a cross, possibly with a Habanero or Scorpion plant.. I'm also thinking the plant is somewhere between Peach and Red on colour, making the pods a bright Tangerine / Orange colour.

TKP Bhut Jolokia Peach Snub Nose - Second Pod - Tastier and hotter than first.

TKP Bhut Jolokia Peach Snub Nose - Third Pod - Mutant blush red with super heat.

TKP Bhut Jolokia Peach Snub Nose - Third Pod - Mutant blush red with super heat.

There are several more pods on the plant at the moment, the majority are all around 1 1/2 inches with the same shape as the first two pods. There are a few other pods with a more abnormal shape being flat nosed and rounder then there are a few that have a little more length more closely resembling a shorter standard Bhut. So its very hard to identify where this is going atm. I put it down to the plant having that second genetic strain. I'm excited to see where next gen goes and what future pods grow out too.

Another few varieties have managed to make their way into my Glog thanks to MisterBigglesworth , thanks for the extra varieties I just got them this morning, and have had them soaking, but put them into trays now.

7 Pot Rennie
7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow
MisterBigglesworth Fatalii xxx F1
MisterBigglesworth Fatalii xxx F2

Thanks Mr.B for the seeds, they were packed really well and you gave me heaps!! I look forward to keeping you updated on their progress.

Kyle Reese Contreras said:
Awesome glog so far buddy! I will be eagerly watching for updates!
for pistols is a crazy thing to see haha too bad its a mutation and not a passable
genetic trait though:( hahah
Pods look awesome!

After seeing the Candlelight leaf mutation pass through to further generations it shows its possible to pass on genetic anomalies, I was hoping this was the same, but it wasn't a genetic mutation only a conditional one, but its still producing unusual pods, maybe the multi pistol / conjoined flowers were just an immaturity aspect of the mutation. All that being said I have no idea where this plant is going and I'm sure the mutation won't carry over.. I'm going to let a pod go and see if the colour gets passed tangerine into that blush colour again..
Scorched said:
Great pics and really nice color on those pods. Looking forward to seeing how this baby grows out in the future

I think a multiple pistel plant would be an awesome!
Correct my terminology if I'm wrong because it has been awhile since I have thought or talked about genetics, but I believe this kind of "unpassable" trait would be an aquired mutation, as apposed to a constitutional mutation which is in all cells and would pass to offspring! The candlelight mutant variety has a Constitutional mutation which is why it affects every leaf and flower on the plant, as well as the growth pattern if I'm not mistaken. Maybe, if you get a plant that every flower from day one has the same mutation, then it would be more plausible to believe it to be not an aquired mutation
I was close, haha Just pulled up an old Ebook! Constitutional is a mutation will be found in likely every cell! Aquired Mutations are less likely to pass.
The word I was looking for is Somatic, which is obvious now as somatic means cells of the body. The reason Somatic mutations don't (usually) pass to offspring is because the only cells (usually) involved in reproduction are gamete cells, so they would not be affected by a somatic mutation

So here's another few of the pods off the TKP Bhut Jolokia Snub Nose  ... Pods are all very universal in shape minus a few small variations. And the full size pods seem to max out at a Carrot Size Hab. 

TKP Bhut Jolokia Peach Snub Nose - 5 Pods varying from full size to a few smaller pods.. Universal size and shape.

I think a multiple pistel plant would be an awesome!
Correct my terminology if I'm wrong because it has been awhile since I have thought or talked about genetics, but I believe this kind of "unpassable" trait would be an aquired mutation, as apposed to a constitutional mutation which is in all cells and would pass to offspring! The candlelight mutant variety has a Constitutional mutation which is why it affects every leaf and flower on the plant, as well as the growth pattern if I'm not mistaken. Maybe, if you get a plant that every flower from day one has the same mutation, then it would be more plausible to believe it to be not an aquired mutation

I was close, haha Just pulled up an old Ebook! Constitutional is a mutation will be found in likely every cell! Aquired Mutations are less likely to pass.
The word I was looking for is Somatic, which is obvious now as somatic means cells of the body. The reason Somatic mutations don't (usually) pass to offspring is because the only cells (usually) involved in reproduction are gamete cells, so they would not be affected by a somatic mutation

The problem with multiple pistols was you had 5 competing pod segments that merged into each other leaving you with a starving multi-chambered pod with no seed.. I do have one pod on my plant that was a mutant just starting to ripen that went to full size so Ill be interested to see what it cuts open too.. Even though the mutation was fleeting the true plant seems to be a goer !! So I'm happy for that !!

Yeah, they would definitely compete haha We have all seen crazy mutants with multiple different lobes or full pods on the same Calyx that cannot coexist peacefully hahahaha
Those snub nose look awesome by the way!

Yeah, they would definitely compete haha We have all seen crazy mutants with multiple different lobes or full pods on the same Calyx that cannot coexist peacefully hahahaha
Those snub nose look awesome by the way!

Thanks.. I call them a snub nose because rather than look like there a naturally wedge shaped pod, they seem to look more like their a normal full length pod that have been pushed in at the end to shorten them , there's almost a small concave to them in parts that make them look squished.

Several of my pod cross seeds have popped.... I had great success with a 7 Pot Barrackapore cross, popped after 5 days 100% germ... Several other varieties have popped 1-2 or 3 seeds.  I generally try to plant F1 crosses in lots of 3 or 6 depending on how many seeds I got and F2+ seeds in lots of 6-12.

I cant believe its been just over 6 weeks since my first seeds popped but now some of my hardening off plants are reaching 6 inches and big fat leaves.. Ready to head into winter to ride it out , time to get my top on soon I think...

Here's a few Pod Shots....

TKP Bhut Jolokia Snub Nose

Carolina Reaper

Yaki Blue

This Yaki Blue was the longest pod I have had to ripen... Growth on the other hand, it was so quick to reach this size but ripen!!! It took forever... Add to the fact I didn't know what pod colour I was looking for it involved a lot of touch and feel to wait for the change.

The pod ended up a deep red / purple colour with a lovely underglow that was emphasised in bright light.. Pod had a light bhut flavour with more earthy undertone, the flavour passed quickly and cleanly leaving a hot tongue and back of throat burn that built over time until finally a hot pepper burn to the lips finished it off.. Very different and unique flavour and burn..

More Yaki pod shots to come.. Dissected

Here's the cross section ...

Had a GREAT colour, and 3 thick cords od placenta running the length of the pod. I forgot to mention the heat was quiet hot up there with a Yellow Bhut or similar I'd guesstimate about 700,000 and long lasting..

Yaki Blue - Cross Section

Yaki Blue - Width

Yaki Blue - Length

Yaki Blue - Fresh Picked

Back