• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Last Great Pizza Thread

'Bout time we had a thread for all those that make their own dough and sauce. Too many good cooks on THP to let something as magnificent as that king of foods, pizza go unnoticed on this forum. This thread however comes with some rules to post...

1) Make your own dough and post the recipe. Thin crust. Whole wheat. Foccacia. NY or Chicago style. Naan....your choice!

2) Make your own sauce and post the recipe. Red. White. Olive oil w/ garlic. Whatever gets your mojo workin'!

3) Mandatory that it brings teh heat. Habs. Serrano's. Bhut's. T-Scorps. Fatalli. Hot sauce's and puree's will qualify. Using wimp sauce's such as Tabasco Brand or Franks will
be ridiculed with extreme prejudice and boooooed heavily!

4) Toppings can be anything. Pepperoni. Avocado. Greek olives. Pulled pork. If it came out of the ground or walked, swam or crawled, its all cool and the gang!

5) Bake them in the oven on a sheet pan. In cast iron. A pizza stone. On the grill. Got a wood fired pizza oven? Have mercy!

6) Pics are mandatory! Anyone can talk smack about it but put up or shut up. No pics? It never happened and ridiculing and boooooing will follow. Capiche?

Alright ya'll, lets get it on.....

grantmichaels said:
This thread is going to see most of my action for 3-4 months, just needs to get like 5F cooler out at night - a matter of just a few weeks now ... pretty excited, actually ... hopefully I'll get there this time ...
Baby Herm ready to go?

Supper

Turkey Pizza.

Took one of the vac pack turkey drum sticks and put in crackpot on low for 6 hours, meat fell of the bone and totally moist. Put a little water in the pot with the whole bag uncut, it puffed up like a balloon but did not pop, wondered if it acted a bit like a pressure cooker.

Bread
3/4 cup Buckwheat
1/4 cup Tapioca flour
1 generous tbsp potato starch (made the bread more crisp and chewee).
Yeast/Sugar/Salt
Topped with tomatoes and baked at 500.

Placed cut Limburger cheese when bread taken out, put a layer of still warm turkey.
Put a layer of Thai Basil, next cut up in small pieces of Red Jalapeno, place sauce from turkey ( cream / potato starch) made on top of that and add another layer of Basil :)
Was awesome with a nice bite of heat :)

PB286754_TurkeyPizza-1000_zpsmad19os8.jpg

PB286755_TurkeyPizza-1000_zpsezt6yiso.jpg

PB286756_TurkeyPizza-1000_zpsvkcq8voy.jpg

I'm not sure I know what limburger tastes like I just know it's the butt of smelly jokes... but looks good.

I was leery of limburger for years. Mostly due to old three stooges and little rascals gags about it, but it is actually one of my favourite stinky cheeses now , and actually less intense than some of my other favourites .  Knocking all the stooges out notwithstanding.  .   Awesome with  a good dark beer btw.

s://yhttpoutu.be/_Y6YPjcQJ4g

Pizza today...

It all starts out with a braise of Goat Shoulder, Scotch Bonnets, Garlic, Scallions, Ginger, Allspice, Jamaican Curry

A sauce made from Plum Tomatoes, Plaintains, Scotch Bonnets, Scallions, Brown Sugar, Dark Rum, Malt Vinegar, Thyme, Allspice and Salt. 

3 hr simmer and the sauce is ready for the blender.

5 hrs at 225 F ....the Goat is pull apart tender.............tacos with de arbol sauce..?...... :P 

Jerk Barbecue Sauce

pizza is topped with the sauce, shredded Mozzarella and Fontina Cheeses, Goat, Scotch Bonnets and grated Parm

Pizza was baked in pan on oven floor at 425 F for 10 min, finished on top rack for another 10.

A slice of the Maaaaaaaad Pie.....with a drizzle of my Scotch Bonnet sauce.......mon

ah......why not here's one more.

It's hard to beat a Honeycrisp apple.......and when a few cases fall off the back of the truck it's even better...... :P

An apple flambe' with sliced Ghost Pepper and Bourbon

63% hydrated dough (Caputo Pizzaria) with Apples, Bacon, Cheddar Cheese and Maple Syrup.....baked on the BGE  at 750 F for 2 min

Crispy/Tender

That's almost mean, especially at this hour ;)

Well-played, though ...

I love the Honeycrisp's too, but I like the Pink Lady's even a tiny bit more now, I think ...

Either way, nice cook ...

I'm about to get started on this year's round of attempted pizza making ... tonight was probably the 1st night where it's cool enough to run the oven like that ...

Would have been a nice night to grill one, actually ... rainy, cool, and breezy ... while sipping barrel-aged stout ...
:cheers:

That apple pie is calling me...excellent as always.

Why the different cooking technique on the first pizza? Why did you do a longer cook at lower temps? Is it so the toppings do not burn or a different dough?

tctenten said:
That apple pie is calling me...excellent as always.

Why the different cooking technique on the first pizza? Why did you do a longer cook at lower temps? Is it so the toppings do not burn or a different dough?

Hey thanks Terry..

The first pizza was baked indoors in the oven, and yes it was a different dough recipe...bulk rise container...not from one of the disc's pictured in the first photo.
The dough from the first pie was made with Caputo Metro flour which is milled for temps under 700 F. It was 55 % hydrated (IDY) and also has oil incorporated into it. The cutter pan is a large 16" so a lower slower bake will keep a more even cheese melt in your typical oven.

The apple pie was made from one of the disc's in the proofing container photo. That also was a Caputo flour blue bag "Pizzaria" which is milled for wood fired or deck ovens that can reach temps over 700 F. That particular flour does not perform well in a conventional oven at lower temps.
I will always use that flour at 61 to 64 % hydration ...flour, water, starter and salt..only. Normally I'll either use 500g of flour for a couple of pies (265 g disc's) or I'll step it up to 1000g for half dozen pies as shown in the proofing box. Outdoors the pies are baked quickly on the Weber or the Big Green Egg in most cases under 2 min if the temps around 800 F.

Bake on...

BGE apple pie.....lid is closed throughout the bake, around the 2 min mark I'll check and rotate the pie on the stone until finished.

you sir (PIC 1) ... you are the reason why I'll gain weight over weekend.... again
I can just imagine how those pie's taste like.. and they're delicious!
:dance:

Back