• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

the Nerd Farm - End of Summer.

Well summer just crashed to an end here in Oz although you wouldn't know it by the weather. just going 6 pm here & still 30 C & 70% humidity. Been a string of scorching days recently.
Great pepper growing weather so heres a few pics I took today.

The 7 x 7-pots have turned into a jungle:

77sjunglena2.jpg

When you reach into it you can see all this:

7potplot2hc7.jpg

My smallest 7-pot is on the other side of the yard & not doing to shabby either:

smallest7kh8.jpg

Plants in the ICU are recovering well (considering they weren't much more than sticks when I planted them) This ones a Yellow Congo:

yellowcongoicucs5.jpg

More to come....

the Orange habs have turned into monsters...This is all one plant:

megahabsc0.jpg

They've been so good (& the commercial crop so rare) That I've ripped up the veg patch and put in 10 more Habs. still enough room there for 5 more 7-pot & 15 Douglahs:

newplotow4.jpg

Speaking of Douglah...its not a big producer but they're worth the effort:

douglah203qz7.jpg

Thats it for now :)

~bent

Looking way good Bent, i wish i could get my plants to produce like yours! Mine have suffered an unbelievable amount of flower drop, the plants are healthy but don't like to set pods.

I see that your Victor is out of commision again...

Yeah - I seem to have really cracked it this year. I prepped the ground with too much N according to some, but I think our soil is poorer for the less rainfall (tap water just doesn't bring in the nutes).
I only water every 2 -3 days & every 2nd week I go around with a 5 L pump sprayer (from Bunnings for $10) in it I mix Neem & "Plant Care - Organic premium foliar treatment" (also from Bunnings). I spray top & under leaves & stems & they boost out new shoots & flowers within days.

The victor :lol: has been 10 or 12 days I think....would need to be done every week but I got better things to do...like get drunk on the veranda :cheers:

Yeah not wrong about having better things to do! I tried to buy some Neem the otyher day at Home hardware, they didn't have any. I tried to get a nice foliage feed too, didn't have any. I was reduced to pyranthasumthin spray at $7.50 a bottle, does kill the little bastards good though. I got some blood n bone too and some fishy emulsion oh and some potash, you tried potash?

Yeah the pyrethrum works but not as good as neem (no bunnings near you?) Haven't done any potash - is that for clay soils or something?

JungleRain said:
Hey that Orange hab is huge, how many pods did ya get on it
Grant

so far about half a kg...getting 2 - 3 ripe every day. Has about 60 green on it & flowers lined up all over. The pods are coming out close to 1/2 oz each (one was on 14 grams) Its got another batch of about 20 extra large ones ripening now.
A sauce makers dream :onfire:

From what i understand Bent potash is useful for fruiting, im probly wrong and will get shot down by an AJ cruise missile chart but me mully loves it!!

Novacastrian said:
Yeah not wrong about having better things to do! I tried to buy some Neem the otyher day at Home hardware, they didn't have any. I tried to get a nice foliage feed too, didn't have any. I was reduced to pyranthasumthin spray at $7.50 a bottle, does kill the little bastards good though. I got some blood n bone too and some fishy emulsion oh and some potash, you tried potash?
Hey Scott, never used it myself, but my brother swears by it???
Nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium are three of the most essential nutrients that a plant needs to grow. Potash plays an important role in helping plants to absorb potassium required to thrive.
Potash is a key ingredient in fertilizers that enhances water retention of plants, increases crop yields and plants' disease resistance.

potash is uses in the fruiting stage to add weight and general health of plant.
I have a freezer full of super hots been a great summer, but Bent you and me know we still got 2 and ahalf months of good weather till we need to start cutting back our plants.
Brisbane is the bomb for chilli lol.

bentalphanerd said:
so far about half a kg...getting 2 - 3 ripe every day. Has about 60 green on it & flowers lined up all over. The pods are coming out close to 1/2 oz each (one was on 14 grams) Its got another batch of about 20 extra large ones ripening now.
A sauce makers dream :onfire:

Nice plant Bent, I got 10 growing but only 1 has pods on it, the other 9 just didn,t take off for some reason, I started then all off as cuttings, maybe I over watered them????

plants look great Bent...now is the time they will start producing mad for you isn't it?

Nova - I have no experience with potash...however, if you are using a complete fertilize with the proper NPK ratio would you need it?

I would have to say no AJ, however my fertilizing has been less than regular and i thought that it may help them set more fruit. I'll let you know if i kill em!

please do Nova...will be interesting...

we may have an overlap this season...you guys picking your last of the year and us in the northern half of the globe starting to pick a few...

AJ - I spent a lot of time prepping the soil this year, these plants are still relatively young. Will get an early start in Spring (Sept.)& put out their best a month or 2 after. Its going to be a great christmas :hell:

Potash=potassium carbonate, makes for generally happier plants.

Awesome crop there bent, makes me very jealous. Will those new plants in the ground survive the winter? Or are you in the "erogenous zone" where plants never die? Very jealous if you are. Until I remember I don't need an air conditioner most of the year.

McGoo said:
Potash=potassium carbonate, makes for generally happier plants.

Awesome crop there bent, makes me very jealous. Will those new plants in the ground survive the winter? Or are you in the "erogenous zone" where plants never die? Very jealous if you are. Until I remember I don't need an air conditioner most of the year.

yup - some years we get a light frost but not for the last 3 years where I am. About another 2 months of good weather to go here before it gets worrying so they'll be big enough to cope by then.

McGoo said:
Will those new plants in the ground survive the winter? Or are you in the "erogenous zone" where plants never die?

*spurf!*

Don't *do* that to me this early in the morning.

Especially if you're talking about Bent!

Back