• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest The Next Throwdown is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man there's a TD Friday? Shiiiizzzzzzzzzzzz I better name it.

Okay.

Something easy... will post back.

Okay here it is...

MELTS!

What is a melt? It's a sandwich with melted cheese and other "stuff" on it... otherwise it's just a grilled cheese. Tuna melt, patty melt, yes, grilled cheese with bacon... those are some old school melts but let's get original here! And no open-faced.

It does not have to be a pressed or grilled sandwich, but the cheese must be melted by some means, and the bread must have a maillard  reaction (toasted/grilled etc.) and it must be ooey gooey melty and not just a slice. Come on now! It's about the melted cheeeeeeeeeeze!

Yes, Essigi could win this with two of his amazing bruscettas with speck and artisan cheese slapped together to form a sandwich, lol.

If it is a sandwich (bread ends that are toasted, grilled, or pressed) with "stuff" and the cheese is melted, it is a melt. Starts Friday!

Boss will post a PoL sometime on Friday. You will have until Sunday night around 10pm Eastern to complete your entry. Here are the official rules...

Throwdowns!
Throwdown Rules
Throwdowns are online cooking competitions hosted by thehotpepper.com that occur the first Friday of every month and run until Sunday (unless otherwise stated). Winners are chosen by member votes in a 2-day poll.

Follow these 5 simple rules to enter, and have fun. These rules pertain to all Throwdowns, unless stated otherwise in the actual TD.

1. To enter the TD, please reply to the TD topic with:
a) A name for your creation.
b) A list of all ingredients used.
c) Detailed preparation steps, cooking methods, times, and temps. Measurements and weights are not required, but are appreciated.

2. Your entry must include a hot pepper ingredient.

3. You must also post two presentation pictures (MAX) in the same post as your entry post. It is recommended you take one plating pic (untouched entry), and one that shows the insides (a steak cut open, a burger cut in half, etc.). Any additional pictures in the official entry post will be removed. You may post them in non-official posts, as in, presentation and teaser posts.

4. In order to prove that you made this meal for this TD we ask that you post a Proof of Life. PoL = a monetary amount stated at the beginning of the competition that must be shown in one of your pictures with coins or bills, in your country's tender. May or may not be converted. It must be a picture that shows the ingredients used, so, it may be your teaser, or one of your final pics, but change by itself or with just one ingredient does not count.

5. You must post one entry (max) before the stated deadline.

Please follow all of the rules or you may be disqualified. If you do not post the PoL, or you do not make the deadline, you are automatically disqualified.

PJ - THP usually creates a new thread that starts with the word "Begin!", and that is the official post. (This is more of just a discussion post.) The "Begin!" post is the one you want to be looking for on Friday, as that will have the official rules for this particular TD in it. What he's posted here for now is more of a heads-up so we can be thinking about it.

Thanks guys.

And been a busy week I almost forgot. :)

Sounds good!
I'll be camping until Saturday. I still hope to get in on this one!!! 

Someone should copy Scovie and G's last posts and have them ready to send (PM) to our new friends who are about to try their first throwdown. All the information is right there! 

Have fun cooking! Happy new year.

I was playing with my press the other day. With a big snow storm rolling in it looks like I will have plenty of time to experiment.

Essi rocks harder than penitentiary steel with a head on it like a house cat.

Like Jimi, you'd better pull out all the stops!

Have mercy!

Lol, i was forgetting to check that thread and before going to sleep came to mind... And i see my name as part of TD text lol! Double Bruschetta? It's an idea!
Maybe i'll do something more classic... Gorgonzola, some other good cheese and Speck seems fine here... Maybe mushrooms... Thinking at that... Wallnuts are great with gorgonzola, is good with speck and not bad with mushrooms... Could be a recipe... With garlic/tomato is a bruschetta.
In any case, i must reserve a ciabatta from my vendor! :D

PS: THP, you like speck, recently i discovered the existance of a thing called bauernspeck that is sort of high quality bacon speck... I think it's a rare thing because here few knows it (and we're not far from where speck is made):

imgfile60.jpg

Isn't that just epic?
I want that!
There also another thing called bauchspeck and i don't know if it's the same or not...

texas blues said:
Essi rocks harder than penitentiary steel with a head on it like a house cat.

Like Jimi, you'd better pull out all the stops!

Have mercy!
If it is referred to me, i think Jay sandwiches look far more glorious than my bruschettas, especially for the melt part! :D

Hercules (the huge storm rolling our way) is gonna snow our butts in for the next day or so.  I went into panic mode at the grocery store and bought ingredients for two different recipes.  I think I am going to try them both out... 

Essegi said:
If it is referred to me, i think Jay sandwiches look far more glorious than my bruschettas, especially for the melt part! :D

Thanks Essegi, but I am not falling for this trick.  Your food is always beautiful.

Little did I know I was practice for the Melt TF before it was announced.  :)  This guys is from last week.  Going a totally different direction than this one though...

gallery_8228_122_4388706.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back