• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

The official TOMATO thread

Burning Colon said:
hey greenman, those are all the types i have whacked from my growlist, gulp...... hey all tomatoes are good but with so many times eventually you eliminate types as your portfolio grows, just like peppers. for years i grew black cherry and yellow pear.

there were years when black cherry and yellow pear were staples in my yard. can't believe how long i avoided sungold because of price. now, i will gladly pay $3.99 for the 20 seeds just because of their unique flavour.

and splitting is not a bad thing, it describes the natural process of an heirloom tomato to repair itself, if you hate monsanto, then you learn to reappreciate scabbing. natures natural bandaid. i too disliked scabbing until i taste tested scabbed vs hybrid. just cut around the scab, the flavour is far better than the appearance.

good growing and please investigate heirloom tomato varieties.

.....akin scabbing in tomatoes to corking in peppers.
again, good growing.
Yeah, also you about as far north from me as possible, some of these may taste better when grown here in the near tropics. However, I may just try a Sungold. I also really like The Green Zebra for the firm texture in salads. 

Penny said:
I agree with you Greenman, its a hit and miss with the beefsteak tomatoes when it rains...one that I grew this year that was great for not splitting after rain, was Mrs Maxwells pink beefsteak. I think I had one off the whole plant that split and the rest were great.
That sounds like something to try, also I had a plant called Mortgage Lifter, but I  gave it away, Any Ideas on if that one was a keeper? I probably should have kept it.... 

mortgage lifter usually ranks very high in the most popular tomato category amongst heirloom varieties. many like it for its size, they grow large, very, very large.

like any review of a tomato, you always get the range from "best i ever had" to "it was just okay", i don't think i have ever read a negative review of one.

for large red, i chose brandywine and am sticking with it, since my grow season is so short, i would be stuck with green mortgage lifters but if i lived in a warmer climate and had the room, it would most likely make my list.

I am growing wild Galapagos, black Krim, and large cherry. I always wanted to grow different tomatoes but I can never find some that sound cool enough to buy except for the Italian ice ones or other cherry types I like cherry types but I also like the big ones.

Penny said:
Has anyone started their tomato grow list for 2014 yet?? Me, I'm trying to decide and waiting on a few trades to come in before I can finalize my list ;).....and is it ever really final :rofl:
Got my seed order about a week ago.
My 2014 list:

Blue Gold
Pink Berkeley Tie Dye
Amos Coli

These are all from Wild Boar

Ill also plant 1 better boy

Last year my garden was a major failure, but my one plant from Wild Boar did excellent.

null_zps47046758.jpg
new indigo seedlings.

yea im a fan of tomatoes that's why I finally decided to start growing them but I like growing stuff I cant grab off the shelf at a grocery store that's why I grow weird stuff.

Nothing wrong with that at all. ;)....that's the hard part with my growing season here, is once we get frost then the season's done and we know that snow's not too far behind, so I tend to grow what I know, which was tomatoes ;)....now peppers seem to be creeping into the tomato space.. :rofl:

Back