• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

So, did you catch the sniper?  Photo?

I did not! However, I have not seen any new damage and she's still growing strong so I'm just keeping a close eye.

Your plants look awesome, Jim!

Some of them are getting B-I-G!

PaulG said:
Your plants look awesome, Jim!

Some of them are getting B-I-G!
Thanks, Paul. I'm not sure what to think. This is only my third season growing peppers, my first with a 400-watt HPS, full time. If you had my lighting set-up, and planned on a first week of May plant out, when would you begin seed germination for chinenses? What week of what month? My plants just seem too darned big, too soon. A nice problem to have, I guess, but maybe not entirely necessary.

Roguejim said:
Thanks, Paul. I'm not sure what to think. This is only my third season growing peppers, my first with a 400-watt HPS, full time. If you had my lighting set-up, and planned on a first week of May plant out, when would you begin seed germination for chinenses? What week of what month? My plants just seem too darned big, too soon. A nice problem to have, I guess, but maybe not entirely necessary.
That's a tough one, Jim.  I think of chinenses as a 9-10 month grow
season, so if we want pods in October or maybe even sooner, that
means a January start date in this area.  I just start seeding on Jan. 1.

They do get big by now, so it necessitates a place to have them, like
a greenhouse or a nice garage.  I have no experience with a 400 W HPS,
so I really don't know how that compares to the T5HOs.  The problem I
have is the greenhouse is small, so no pots bigger than gallons except
for OWs.  That means keeping them well-fed.

Just one of the pleasures of growing chinenses in the PNW!  

ColdSmoke said:
Your plants are huge Jim. Already flowering? I'm impressed. I'll have to start earlier next year. 
Yeah, maybe too big, too soon. I might start a few weeks later next season...I'm undecided.
hakalachi said:
Man, I thought I had a lot of plants started, but you guys have me beat.  I'm new to the game though, so 20+ plants from never having any is a lot for me LOL.
Hi! 20 plants will provide large amounts of peppers. You will be surprised. What have you got growing? Welcome to our PNW GLOG.

Roguejim said:
Yeah, maybe too big, too soon. I might start a few weeks later next season...I'm undecided.

Hi! 20 plants will provide large amounts of peppers. You will be surprised. What have you got growing? Welcome to our PNW GLOG.

Hi Jim, thanks for asking

I've got Habaneros, Banana Peppers, Cayenne, Bhut Jolokia, Lemon Drop, Tabasco, and Scotch Bonnets... oh and a few okra plants (my kids wanted to plant something too :))

I have them growing in a room in my house right now until they're a little bigger to transfer outside in pots.  So far, loving it, and wondering why I never picked up gardening a long time ago.
Here's a photo of some of what I've got growing.  Cups are labeled, just can't see them.  The one in the center (larger pot) is Cayenne.  I have several more that just sprouted yesterday, to include the banana peppers.  Planted 8 days ago.

IMG_20150330_1343572-e1427748609789.jpg

hakalachi said:
Hi Jim, thanks for asking

I've got Habaneros, Banana Peppers, Cayenne, Bhut Jolokia, Lemon Drop, Tabasco, and Scotch Bonnets... oh and a few okra plants (my kids wanted to plant something too :))

I have them growing in a room in my house right now until they're a little bigger to transfer outside in pots.  So far, loving it, and wondering why I never picked up gardening a long time ago.Here's a photo of some of what I've got growing.  Cups are labeled, just can't see them.  The one in the center (larger pot) is Cayenne.  I have several more that just sprouted yesterday, to include the banana peppers.  Planted 8 days ago.

IMG_20150330_1343572-e1427748609789.jpg
Very cool. We like photos, here.

Welcome Gene, You are right up the road from me. Glad you found the site. Great bunch of people here. Cheers Brada!

Here's one of the Red Fatalli doing it's thing.
20150330_1710411.jpg

Lost 24 of the 2nd batch of starts this week..Got to aggressive with pushing them in the sun and our current weather. UV put too much stress on them. Oh well, Back to planting more seeds for some of them.

organic pepper said:
Welcome Gene, You are right up the road from me. Glad you found the site. Great bunch of people here. Cheers Brada!
Here's one of the Red Fatalli doing it's thing.
attachicon.gif
20150330_1710411.jpg

Lost 24 of the 2nd batch of starts this week..Got to aggressive with pushing them in the sun and our current weather. UV put too much stress on them. Oh well, Back to planting more seeds for some of them.
Too aggressive? I thought you were the Master of Patience.

This weather sure has been an evil source of temptation. I see it every year though...people on Facebook posting pictures of their garden planted in early April. They all end up wondering why their veggies aren't producing.  The tomatoes I'll plant in mid June will out produce the early planters every time. 

PaulG said:
Yes, it's the curse of gardening in the PNW!
I hear you buddy! Today is really nice but, those babies are only getting 3hrs max of sun light. BTW.. I just got approved for my life time veterans pass for the state parks and they have mailed me my pass card. Once I get that in I'll reserve a spot for the Sept 11 thru the 13 chili fest. I'm getting Cheap here.. Didnt want to kick out $70 for a spot for the 2 days. Looking at bringing out the trailer grill, smoker and whole outdoor kitchen setup for this shin ding. Cheers Buddy.

organic pepper said:
I hear you buddy! Today is really nice but, those babies are only getting 3hrs max of sun light. BTW.. I just got approved for my life time veterans pass for the state parks and they have mailed me my pass card. Once I get that in I'll reserve a spot for the Sept 11 thru the 13 chili fest. I'm getting Cheap here.. Didnt want to kick out $70 for a spot for the 2 days. Looking at bringing out the trailer grill, smoker and whole outdoor kitchen setup for this shin ding. Cheers Buddy.

I have a friend who has that pass for both Oregon and Washington.

That's awesome getting it for 2 states. My other half just told me I needed to get out more. So, I took the plunge. I even applied for the reduced fishing fee and got that. I had my head buried under a rock for the longest time. Go figure.. LoL!

Back