• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

What do you do with all those peppers, Jim? I am looking at a huge crop in a few weeks and there's only so much sauce and powders a guy can make.

ColdSmoke.

You might try what I did when I ended up with way to many pods in my Freezers.  I read a post on the list from AlabamaJack about reducing your pods down into a very concetrated puree which yoou can and use at a future date for hwat ever you have in mind.  Here is the link to his post which does a great job of documenting the process with pictures as well as instructions.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32602-making-some-puree-todaywill-post-pics-of-the-processits-easy/page-1?hl=puree

Hope this helps.  It sure freed up space in my freezers as well as made my wife happier!

Yeah, I don't think I'll be growing peppers next season.  I just haven't come up with enough ways to use them.  Any pepper plants grown will be minimal, if at all.  I think I need a break. 

I think I have saidthat for a few years, but every year some new type or one that I have not grown cathes my eye, and I grow them again.  Best I have been able to do is reduce the number of super hots (yet keep my favorites) and reduce the overall number of plants.  2 years ago I had over 450 plants going, This year it was just over 100 and I am sure I can reduce it again.  Just not sure if I could stop completely.  Plus I always need my supply of various types of Jalapenos for poppers.  What is summer without those!

Granted Judy at the Pepperlover does not help when she keeps getting new and interesting types, but at least she helps me keep the costs low!

Besides Jim, you got some good talent at this!

450 plants?!?!  I can't even begin to imagine what I'd do with all those peppers.  We have two fridges and a chest freezer, and I don't think it would be enough  :eek:

For me, I've found the sweet spot to be around 20 - 25 plants.  Gives me plenty of pods to use fresh in the summer and fall, and 5-6 gallon freezer bags in the freezer to last me until next season.  Though I think next year I want to grow less habs and more jalapeno varieties.  My 2 jalapeno plants this year just aren't cutting it for poppers.

Yea, Judy messed me up last year too.  Had a good plan for my grow list and she went and added a couple new varieties for free.  The nerve!

What a wind storm and down pour we had yesterday! Picked up a 4 sections of my fencing from the neighbors yard about 80 feet from where they were supposed to be. Had a bunch of someone roofing shingles all over my yard and pepper plants. That was not cool! propped a few of the plants that was laying sideways on the ground. That's when I saw these few pod's starting to ripen.  :dance:
Star of Turkey
20150830_1417351.jpg

Yellow Bhut
20150830_1417121.jpg

Orange Bhut (had to prop this one up. Was laying sideways on the ground)
20150830_1416451.jpg

I just need to be patient a bit longer. Hopefully they will rebound without to much trouble. Cheers all!

That wind storm knocked over two of my big producing tomato plants, split open my best plant, johah 7pot (it may still be OK, at least some of it will), snapped a potted rose bush in half and laid out my nice black pearl on the front porch. 

I spent about an hour Saturday morning shoring up my plants for the storm and it looks they survived it pretty well.  I haven't found any broken branches.  The only things that broke off are some of the larger leaves on the cayennes. 

I've got a cherry tomato plant that's about 7 feet tall, and has a very industrial square 8 foot tall tomato cage around it that started to blow over, but the plant roots held it up.  I found it leaning at about a 70 degree angle and was able to put it back up with no visible damage.  Hopefully the roots are still strong and intact.

All this rain we're getting is very nice and needed.  I'll take a bit more please!

Wow! No bad weather here to speak of.

ColdSmoke, I do hope the commercial hop farms in the Willamette Valley didn't suffer too badly. My homebrewing costs would suffer for it!

ColdSmoke said:
Haven't anything. I have some hops for you...homegrown Cascades if you want them.
Thanks for the offer. If we lived closer, I'd take you up on if, but I have my order in for this year's harvest.

More harvesting.  This is the first season I've had two separate harvests, and the second round pods are so much bigger.  Also, those yellow ones on the left are Scotch Bonnet FTLs.  I think they have a better, fruitier flavor than MOAs.  Surprised me.

Ma Wiri Wiri. 

I fried up another batch of Jamaican Mushroom peppers, plus added a couple of Scotch Bonnet FTLs, Fariahs, and Trinidad Beans.  I didn't care for the FTLs in this recipe. 

Jim, That looks delicious , how was the heat when you deep fry them.   Do they get milder or hotter?   Dang, I should not look at food items when it is close to dinner time.  Now I am hungry!

Roguejim said:
More harvesting.  This is the first season I've had two separate harvests, and the second round pods are so much bigger.  Also, those yellow ones on the left are Scotch Bonnet FTLs.  I think they have a better, fruitier flavor than MOAs.  Surprised me.

Ma Wiri Wiri. 

I fried up another batch of Jamaican Mushroom peppers, plus added a couple of Scotch Bonnet FTLs, Fariahs, and Trinidad Beans.  I didn't care for the FTLs in this recipe. 
always great to have too many pods! Looks good man!

Back