• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2016

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2016, geared towards growers from this region. 

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon.  Here's the Rogue River in Winter.

It's only 12/15, but maybe you guys have your lists made up already.  Not me, yet.  All I know for sure this season is, no chinenses, and less of everything else.  Might go heavier on the New Mex varieties.   

FGpepperguy said:
Here is my current list for 2016, much different than last year

Titan jalapeno
Regular jalapeno
Giant jalapeno

Habanero one variety

Aji fantasy
Aji Colorado

Large thick cayenne
Fresno
Pasilla de oaxaca
Anaheim
Serrano
Poblano
Pimento
Paprika hot

Thai pepper

Bishops crown
Brazilian star fish

Hatch

Trinidad purfume
Elephants ear

Aji rosita red
Aji rosita yellow
Aji llaneron
Aji margariteno
Aji jobito
Aji pepon

Ancho
Aleppo

Shishito
Numex sandia select
Same number of plants as last season?  A lot I've never heard of.  Is the hab the lone chinense?
Charx said:
It's great to see this GLOG back for 2016!  I followed as a noobie last year and gathered a lot of great information..... thank you!  My first question to start the new season:  when is everyone going to start he seedling process?   I started too late last year and my crop petered out.  
I'd start the chinenses no later than Jan.1.  Better a little early than later.  Wait 6-8 weeks for the non-chinenses.  What indoor lighting do you have?

Roguejim said:
Same number of plants as last season?  A lot I've never heard of.  Is the hab the lone chinense?

I'd start the chinenses no later than Jan.1.  Better a little early than later.  Wait 6-8 weeks for the non-chinenses.  What indoor lighting do you have?

I have one of these: TaoTronics hydroponic led grow light have 25 LEDs (3 blue & 22 red) which is good for about a 2'x2' area.   And a 75W Ott grow light with a parabolic reflector which covers another 2"x2" area.  I have a 6'x6'x3'(h)  reflective box I set the plant in.  
I'm thinking that it's not enough, so I'm open to suggestions.   Of the 14 types of plants I might grow this season, 6 will be chinenses.... and I will try and sprout 5 seeds each. 

I have 5 chinenses that I'm overwintering.   Bahamian goat, Red SB MOA, Yellow SB MOA, and 2 others that I forgot.  It's like forgetting the name of your kid!

Looks like the hab is my only chinense that I'm growing from seed this year.  Better put it in the dirt today.  Happy New Year!

Charx said:

I have one of these: TaoTronics hydroponic led grow light have 25 LEDs (3 blue & 22 red) which is good for about a 2'x2' area.   And a 75W Ott grow light with a parabolic reflector which covers another 2"x2" area.  I have a 6'x6'x3'(h)  reflective box I set the plant in.  
I'm thinking that it's not enough, so I'm open to suggestions.   Of the 14 types of plants I might grow this season, 6 will be chinenses.... and I will try and sprout 5 seeds each. 
Post your lighting questions in the Grow Tech subforum.  Lots of LED users there.  I'm not an LED user, so, no help here.

Germinating now ...about 30% have sprouted:

Aji Jobito
Aji Llaneron
Aji Margariteno
Fatalii
Datil
Carolina Reaper
Lemon Habanero
Daisy Cutter
Atomic Starfish
MOA Scotch Bonnett

I'll start these later:

Cayenne red and golden
Manzano and Ricoto
Jalapeno "Cracked"
Giant orange thai
Anaheim
Fresno
Purple Bell
Hatch

ColdSmoke said:
Germinating now ...about 30% have sprouted:

Aji Jobito
Aji Llaneron
Aji Margariteno
Fatalii
Datil
Carolina Reaper
Lemon Habanero
Lemon Drop

I'll start these later:

Cayenne red and golden
Manzano and Ricoto
Jalapeno
Giant orange thai
Anaheim
Fresno
Purple Bell
Hatch

I like that list.  I'm going to go through my seeds tonight and start my list.  Still time for chinenses if I should weaken.  I hope more PNWers enter the Growdown Throwdown this season.

Roguejim said:
I like that list.  I'm going to go through my seeds tonight and start my list.  Still time for chinenses if I should weaken.  I hope more PNWers enter the Growdown Throwdown this season.
I like the list too. I haven't started my chinenses yet but thinking about doing it tonight. A grow down throw down is cooking a type of food that includes peppers? How does the judging work? Sharing photos and voting?

FGpepperguy said:
I like the list too. I haven't started my chinenses yet but thinking about doing it tonight. A grow down throw down is cooking a type of food that includes peppers? How does the judging work? Sharing photos and voting?
No.  The Growdown Throwdown is for the tallest plant by Halloween.  Everyone gets the same
seed sent to them, I think around Feb.?  Gets posted in Glogs,  http://thehotpepper.com/topic/52751-growdown-throwdown-2015/

Hey guys

Just planted some of mine for this year.  I got into this hobby a bit too late last year and only grew some Habaneros and Jalapenos.  Both turned out really well.

After reading the forum for quite some time I was able to find out about a bunch of superhots that I had no idea existed.

Going by what I have read so far about getting them planted right away, I did so today.  My heat mat can only hold roughly 72 of the peat pellets so I can only go with that until I can take them off and start another batch

My list is probably basic and boring for you guys but I'm pretty excited to see if it works for me

They inlclude

Carolina Reaper
7 Pot Bubblegum
Trinidad Scorpion
Ghost Pepper

I have some more  peppers to grow  (different kinds of Habaneros and a few hybrids???

I'll be following the forum and the GLOG with enthusiasm

Cheers from Victoria BC

NDToronto said:
Hey guys

Just planted some of mine for this year.  I got into this hobby a bit too late last year and only grew some Habaneros and Jalapenos.  Both turned out really well.

After reading the forum for quite some time I was able to find out about a bunch of superhots that I had no idea existed.

Going by what I have read so far about getting them planted right away, I did so today.  My heat mat can only hold roughly 72 of the peat pellets so I can only go with that until I can take them off and start another batch

My list is probably basic and boring for you guys but I'm pretty excited to see if it works for me

They inlclude

Carolina Reaper
7 Pot Bubblegum
Trinidad Scorpion
Ghost Pepper

I have some more  peppers to grow  (different kinds of Habaneros and a few hybrids???

I'll be following the forum and the GLOG with enthusiasm

Cheers from Victoria BC
Uh, 72 plants are a lot, if you've never raised that many before.  Good success to you,  Tell us about your grow area, inside/outside.  And, don't forget photos! :welcome:

So my setup to get them started is a 72 peat pod dome. Beneath them is a heat mat that has a thermostat set to 83 degrees.

My 2 lights are Sun Blaster. They are both two feet long. I then have the whole setup inside a three tier plastic sheet greenhouse. Much like you would find on clearance at Home Depot

Not sure what soil I'm going to use this year. Last year I did have some problems with fungus gnats.

Aphids also came later on and took some of my plants. Last year was alot of learning

I ended up with about 30 plants last year that went into 5 gallon buckets. My backyard is not that big and I need to have an area where the kids can run around

Much of the soil you guys talk about is not available in Canada

I'm not sure how to post photos

Thanks

Just ordered these from Judy and pepperlovers.com

Capsicum Baccatum:
Aji Amarillo
Aji Melocoton

Capsicum Annuum:
Rosemary Pepper
Renklı Acı
Goat's Horn
Jalapenos "Cracked
Peter Pepper

Capsicum Chinense:
Trinidad 7Pot Primo

I'll probably plant all of these

Pretty good germination rate on the ones I've started:
image_zps3enp9dxa.jpeg

ColdSmoke said:
Just ordered these from Judy and pepperlovers.com

Capsicum Baccatum:
Aji Amarillo
Aji Melocoton

Capsicum Annuum:
Rosemary Pepper
Renklı Acı
Goat's Horn
Jalapenos "Cracked
Peter Pepper

Capsicum Chinense:
Trinidad 7Pot Primo

I'll probably plant all of these

Pretty good germination rate on the ones I've started:
image_zps3enp9dxa.jpeg
What fert are you using this season?  Didn't you use Nectar for the Gods last season?

Roguejim said:
What fert are you using this season?  Didn't you use Nectar for the Gods last season?

I started off with NFTG last year but it was too much work. I switched to Masterblend for my container plants and will continue to do so this year. My small garden plot rarely gets fertilized unless I see an obvious deficiency. 

Back