• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2016

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2016, geared towards growers from this region. 

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon.  Here's the Rogue River in Winter.

It's only 12/15, but maybe you guys have your lists made up already.  Not me, yet.  All I know for sure this season is, no chinenses, and less of everything else.  Might go heavier on the New Mex varieties.   

Roguejim said:
Yeah, I just broke out my seed binder.  I'll have my list this weekend.  Just bought some Friarello Di Napoli seeds from rareseeds.com.

http://www.rareseeds.com/friariello-di-napoli/
Really enjoy your glog, pretty cool that you host it every year. I grew the Friarello Di Napoli ladt year and really liked it. It had no heat, but very nice flavor. It is the pepper my wife used the most to cook with. Hopefully you enjoy them.

tctenten said:
Really enjoy your glog, pretty cool that you host it every year. I grew the Friarello Di Napoli ladt year and really liked it. It had no heat, but very nice flavor. It is the pepper my wife used the most to cook with. Hopefully you enjoy them.
I like to chop and quickly fry Pimenta De Padron, then put them on a bratwurst/bun w/mustard, onions, and my pepper hot sauce.  I'll just add the Friarello Di Napoli to the pan along with the Padron.

tctenten said:
way to start wifey on the pepper pandemic

The C. Chinese gang

image_zpsdzmjfqad.jpeg

New pump system...
image_zpsasx3cyqk.jpeg

pump (on a timer) pushes water/nutes up to the saucer where the plants are bottom fed. The water flows through the filter you see there (so crap wont get into the reservoir or pump) and back down into the reservoir by gravity. Watering the same amount at the same time of day seems to be paying off so far. The tent is helping a lot too...It's worth the investment imo.

Hey, Jim, glad to see the PNW grow log up and running again.
I started a little late this year, but here is my grow list:

2016 grow list and germination record:

Pod name                                             Source                                               seeds sown            germinated  

Aji Amarillo ................................ Peruvian Market, 4th gen. ................................... 6 ......................... 6 ................  100%
Yellow Scorpion......................... SpankyColts 2012, 5th gen. ................................ 9 ......................... 5 ................    55%
Scotch bonnet, TFM ................. Trippa 2013, 4th gen. .......................................... 9 ......................... 5 ................    55%
Fatali ......................................... Peppermania, 2012, 2nd gen. ............................. 9 ......................... 9 ................   100%
7 Pot Burgundy ........................ Sawyer 2014, 2nd gen. ....................................... 12 ......................  11 ................   92%
Red Rocoto .............................. Peruvian Market 2015, 1st gen. ........................... 6 .......................  5 .................    84%
JA Red Habanero .................... Devv/WalkGood 2014, 3rd gen. .......................... 12 ...................... 12 ................  100%
Bhut Jolokia Red ..................... SpankyColts 2012, 3rd gen. ................................ 12 ...................... 12 ...............  100%
Primo ....................................... MGold 2012, 2nd gen ........................................... 6 ........................  6 ...............  100%
Mystery Cross ......................... Trippa, 2014, F4 .................................................... 9 ........................  9 ...............  100%
Scotch Bonnet, Chocolate ...... GaGrowhead 2015, 2nd gen. ............................... 9 ........................  6 ................   66%
Padron ..................................... Spain 2015, 1st gen. ........................................... 12 ...................... 10 ................   84%
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate .......... GaGrowhead, 2nd gen. .......................,................ 6 .......................  5 ..................  84%

Total ........................................................................................................................ 117 .................. 101 ...............  86.3%

The first seeds began germinating on Jan. 22nd and continued until Jan. 31.

I'm pretty happy with the germination rate this year.
I'll try to throw up a few pics here this season.  
Good luck to all the PNW bretheren

ColdSmoke said:
The C. Chinese gang

image_zpsdzmjfqad.jpeg

New pump system...
image_zpsasx3cyqk.jpeg

pump (on a timer) pushes water/nutes up to the saucer where the plants are bottom fed. The water flows through the filter you see there (so crap wont get into the reservoir or pump) and back down into the reservoir by gravity. Watering the same amount at the same time of day seems to be paying off so far. The tent is helping a lot too...It's worth the investment imo.

Wow.  I almost wish I hadn't seen these c.chinense photos, not growing any myself this season.  I feel the regret already!  When did you start these? 

PaulG said:

Hey, Jim, glad to see the PNW grow log up and running again.
I started a little late this year, but here is my grow list:

2016 grow list and germination record:

Pod name                                             Source                                               seeds sown            germinated  

Aji Amarillo ................................ Peruvian Market, 4th gen. ................................... 6 ......................... 6 ................  100%
Yellow Scorpion......................... SpankyColts 2012, 5th gen. ................................ 9 ......................... 5 ................    55%
Scotch bonnet, TFM ................. Trippa 2013, 4th gen. .......................................... 9 ......................... 5 ................    55%
Fatali ......................................... Peppermania, 2012, 2nd gen. ............................. 9 ......................... 9 ................   100%
7 Pot Burgundy ........................ Sawyer 2014, 2nd gen. ....................................... 12 ......................  11 ................   92%
Red Rocoto .............................. Peruvian Market 2015, 1st gen. ........................... 6 .......................  5 .................    84%
JA Red Habanero .................... Devv/WalkGood 2014, 3rd gen. .......................... 12 ...................... 12 ................  100%
Bhut Jolokia Red ..................... SpankyColts 2012, 3rd gen. ................................ 12 ...................... 12 ...............  100%
Primo ....................................... MGold 2012, 2nd gen ........................................... 6 ........................  6 ...............  100%
Mystery Cross ......................... Trippa, 2014, F4 .................................................... 9 ........................  9 ...............  100%
Scotch Bonnet, Chocolate ...... GaGrowhead 2015, 2nd gen. ............................... 9 ........................  6 ................   66%
Padron ..................................... Spain 2015, 1st gen. ........................................... 12 ...................... 10 ................   84%
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate .......... GaGrowhead, 2nd gen. .......................,................ 6 .......................  5 ..................  84%

Total ........................................................................................................................ 117 .................. 101 ...............  86.3%

The first seeds began germinating on Jan. 22nd and continued until Jan. 31.

I'm pretty happy with the germination rate this year.
I'll try to throw up a few pics here this season.  
Good luck to all the PNW bretheren

Are you growing out all 101 plants?  Are you in either the Growdown Throwdown, or the Big Jim Pepper contest?  I'm in both.

Roguejim said:
Wow.  I almost wish I hadn't seen these c.chinense photos, not growing any myself this season.  I feel the regret already!  When did you start these? 

Last week in December

Roguejim said:
Are you growing out all 101 plants?  Are you in either the Growdown Throwdown, or the Big Jim Pepper contest?  I'm in both.

Nah, I planted three seeds in each cell and will cull the waker
sprouts in a week or so.  I have 3 or 4 of most varieties and some
only 2.  I'll have 39 plants in all, if they all make it.

Seed sowing day.  Not a lot this season, but, several new ones.  I'm planning on a lot of chile roasting to go with my Summer bbq/smoking.

1. Tomato Pantano Romanesco
2. Tomato St. Pierre
3. Cherry Tomato
4. Jimmy Nardello
5. Friarello Di Napoli
6. Blanco Crystal...Growdown Throwdown!
7. Cherry Bomb
8. Mexican Manzano,,,never had one germinate
9. Pimenta de Padron
10. Chilaca
11. Lumbre
12. Isleta Long
13. Hatch Green
14. World Record Big Jim
15.Numex Heritage 6-4
16. Jalapeno

I'm waiting on a couple of varieties to arrive from Germany, as well.

How's everyone's plants doing so far this year?  I had pretty bad germination rates this year, 58% of my seeds germinated.

I'm starting my cayennes and cracked jalapenos today.  Going with triple redundancy this time

turbo said:
How's everyone's plants doing so far this year?  I had pretty bad germination rates this year, 58% of my seeds germinated.

I'm starting my cayennes and cracked jalapenos today.  Going with triple redundancy this time
Why the low germination rate?  Any guesses?

Roguejim said:
Why the low germination rate?  Any guesses?

You know, I really don't know.  I'm kind'a perplexed.  I prepped the seeds by soaking them overnight in water, and then promptly forgot about them and planted them the next day.  So they were in water for almost 2 days.  That might be too long.  I'm prepping/germinating my cayenne and jalapeno seeds in paper towels.  Hopefully that works better.

Update: I bought a bigger tray and added an overflow feature so I can pump water in the tray and circulate for a few minutes without having to worrying about it flooding over. I had to top the Datils and Atomic Starfish on the left as they were getting really tall. 

image_zpsfwtbcwpa.jpeg

image_zps5bli3cp6.jpeg

Glad to see 'yall doing this glog again this season. I found it quite interesting last year.

Good luck on your grow from way South Tejas!

Back