• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

tutorial The Pest Guide

What Threat Level would you rate Broad Mites 1-10? Concider damage, control, prevention, and how ann

Votes: 6 8.7%

Votes: 3 4.3%

Votes: 9 13.0%

Votes: 12 17.4%

Votes: 16 23.2%

Votes: 23 33.3%

• Total voters
solid7 said:

The purpose of spraying a plant after sundown, is because that's when the stomata on the leaves are closed.  You want to coat the leaves, not fill in the pores. So absolutely DO NOT spray during the day, even in indirect sunlight.

Well, to late,, just soaked em all about 2 hours or so ago, But they're in the shade... live and learn....

acs1 said:

Well, to late,, just soaked em all about 2 hours or so ago, But they're in the shade... live and learn....

I'd probably tell you to leave them in as much shade as possible for the next 10 days.  I've never really had to address this, so this is just me trying to mitigate the situation.
I usually spray mine about 10pm, when they've had a chance to cool down a bit.  Leaves are solar panels, after all.

solid7 said:

I'd probably tell you to leave them in as much shade as possible for the next 10 days.  I've never really had to address this, so this is just me trying to mitigate the situation.
I usually spray mine about 10pm, when they've had a chance to cool down a bit.  Leaves are solar panels, after all.

Well, in my defense I followed instructions on the neem bottle... What the heck is leaf polish, do some people polish their plants.?

Attachments

• neem directions.jpg
    neem directions.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 76
Leaf polish is when you apply it as horticultural oil.  Straight, undiluted.
Package instructions are only good for so much.  Did you emulsify it?  If not, you're probably OK, because it's worthless the way they tell you to mix it.

solid7 said:
Leaf polish is when you apply it as horticultural oil.  Straight, undiluted.
Package instructions are only good for so much.  Did you emulsify it?  If not, you're probably OK, because it's worthless the way they tell you to mix it.

Mixed it just the way the instruction say, 2-4 tablespoons per gallon warm water for mites. 2 tablespoons per gallon for everything else. I used 3 for this batch, used 4 last batch when the broad mites were there. This was just for a preventative every 7-14 day spray,

As you know about 10 days ago had broad mites on a few plants. But mites seem to be totally gone from the sprays back then, so this clarified stuff seemed to work well. A new abundance of shiny flat healthy normal looking growth is prolific on those previously infested plants. On my previously mite infested sugar rush where there was 1 stem(topped on your good recommendation) now it branched out to 2, all brimming with growth. I was impressed with how fast the plants recovered from the mites/topping with just 1 drenching under/over spray. I did unknowingly spray at almost dusk back then.

Further down on the 'triple action neem' label it describes 70% active clarified neem oil and inert 30% contains "Surfactants",, that I assume are some type of soap/detergent that 'wets the solution making it available.?

Got my cold pressed neem in the other day but figured this clarified stuff made right here in Florida worked so well getting rid of the broad mites figured I'd use it up before doing my cold pressed neem/Dr Boners peppermint mix. Actually had to hide the Dr Boners as my girl found it and fell in love with it, its half gone now...lol

please explain about the stomata leaf pores being open, do they absorb the neem, will it hurt the plants/fruit or taste texture..?

;) Might as well call that triple action neem,, a flowering nutrient...lol

During spraying not 1 flower on any of my Nomad plants, positively none. Now 8 hours later, my first flower on the Nomad FataLii. With my luck it will probably fall off from neem stoma sun burn...

How long till neem burn damage becomes obvious..?  What does it look like..?

Attachments

• firstflower.jpg
    firstflower.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 72
This is on my most prolific early Jal plant 7 months old that has given me hundreds of pods and still looks healthy more or less although it does need a replant into a bigger pot... Sprayed it with neem a few days ago just as a preventative spray, didn't think it had any pests I could see with a casual looksy. Guess I was wrong, seems to have been infested with numerous different pests.

Looks like the pests (don't even know how many different type pest are there, looks to be many different breeds) all migrated to the flowers to die with a belly full of neem. Why do they go to the flower to die..? Because they most certainly were not there during the spray.

Seems the 7-14 day neem spray is a required garden schedule here in s FL..

Attachments

• infestationdeadneem.jpg
    infestationdeadneem.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 80
solid7 said:
Black aphids.  Been raining heavily, right? Ants on leaves all around them?

Ya, more like tropical monsoons, my lake is overflowing.

Black aphids, didn't know there was such a thing. looks like some type of dead spider on there also... Neem is more powerful than I'd imagined.

Fixed 2 problems, my ant problem, and my hydrophobic soil problem with large saucers under plants filled with water. Makes an impassable moat for the ants. Now they can't harvest/move the aphids for their honeydoo, so effectively cut team ant/aphid in half.

acs1 said:
Fixed 2 problems, my ant problem, and my hydrophobic soil problem with large saucers under plants filled with water. Makes an impassable moat for the ants. Now they can't harvest/move the aphids for their honeydoo, so effectively cut team ant/aphid in half.

Wow, you seriously underestimate the tenacity and ingenuity of an ant colony.  If you had ants crawling before, it's a dead guarantee that they set up shop in at least some of your pots.  I don't mind ants, so long as they aren't farming.  But yes, Neem does solve that.  The spider shouldn't be a victim of Neem, but he may have eaten something that was full of Neem juice.  Who knows...

solid7 said:

Wow, you seriously underestimate the tenacity and ingenuity of an ant colony.  If you had ants crawling before, it's a dead guarantee that they set up shop in at least some of your pots.  I don't mind ants, so long as they aren't farming.  .

Well, seems ants have seriously underestimated me... lol There are thousands floating around dead in the saucers with no way out. And if they go up they get neem residue on the plant. Next weeks spray should finish them off if they are in the pots still. i'll show those little buggers whos boss...

Ya, my ants all seem to be aphid harvesters, they are the worst. Taking aphids in there mandibles to other plants and creating new aphid colonies in every local plant they can get too. Ladybugs seem to like them though...

acs1 said:

Well, seems ants have seriously underestimated me... lol There are thousands floating around dead in the saucers with no way out. And if they go up they get neem residue on the plant. Next weeks spray should finish them off if they are in the pots still. i'll show those little buggers whos boss...

Ya, my ants all seem to be aphid harvesters, they are the worst. Taking aphids in there mandibles to other plants and creating new aphid colonies in every local plant they can get too. Ladybugs seem to like them though...

Ants don't eat the Neem, so they are not affected. 

solid7 said:

Ants don't eat the Neem, so they are not affected. 

Well, dead ants are on the plant..? But good to know neem will not usually kill ants. Might have to use some Dr Earth essential oils between neem sprays if ants persist, as ants do die from that stuff. Hopefully with no aphids on the plant ants will lose interest.

But as you say, as long as ants are under control, not aphid farming', I have no problem with them. Hopefully the saucers will prevent new ant farms from developing as there is no way in to my pots without going through the 'moat'.

All I can say to that, is that I hope that your ants aren't as good at engineering as mine are.
48250214686_f6c57e7b99_z.jpg

48250214741_7a66f0912f_z.jpg

I knocked all of this down yesterday, before the rain.  It was 3 times as bad before.  And by the way, that first pic with the mud trail... It's leading INTO a reservoir of about 15 gallons of water.

solid7 said:
All I can say to that, is that I hope that your ants aren't as good at engineering as mine are.
48250214686_f6c57e7b99_z.jpg

48250214741_7a66f0912f_z.jpg

I knocked all of this down yesterday, before the rain.  It was 3 times as bad before.  And by the way, that first pic with the mud trail... It's leading INTO a reservoir of about 15 gallons of water.

Damn, those Melbourne ants are persistent... What do they do once in the 15gallons of water

acs1 said:

Damn, those Melbourne ants are persistent... What do they do once in the 15gallons of water

They circumvent it, and find their way upwards.
Wait until they build a mud bridge across your saucer.  It happens.  I can't prove it right now.  But it happens. 

Is this a pest problem..?

Attachments

• 20190721_094516.jpg
    20190721_094516.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 20190721_094527.jpg
    20190721_094527.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 73
Looks normal to me.

The "bark" that starts to form on older pepper plants seems like it oft starts off bumpy and irregular looking, but with time it'll even out.

Back