tutorial The Pest Guide

What Threat Level would you rate Broad Mites 1-10? Concider damage, control, prevention, and how ann

Votes: 6 8.7%

Votes: 3 4.3%

Votes: 9 13.0%

Votes: 12 17.4%

Votes: 16 23.2%

Votes: 23 33.3%

• Total voters
Oi, found a gooder last night.

Bugguide.net came to the rescue, ID'ing the potential pest within a few hours. I love those guys.

Click Beetle larvae, first instar.
img_0011-1.jpg

He wouldn't stay still to get his picture taken. So I gassed the mother with CO2. Work will set you free. Baking soda, vinegar and a closed container. Worked a charm, and managed to get a great shot. Comparatively speaking. You can even see a bit of shiet coming out his back end.
Now to go chop up some potatoes and try to figure out if this isn't a larger issue...

Additional information
Control methods aren't cut and dry. Acephate provides the strongest conventional treatment, though it will not give complete control. S. feltiae, H. megidis and Met-52 are recommend natural treatments, but again, do not provide full control. To my understanding, they prefer the roots of grasses, leaving the option for trap/cover crops.

Has anyone ever tried super fine mesh or screen to keep the gnats out of seedlings? If so, how did that work for you?
Getting ready to start seedlings in a month or so, gnats almost had my wife make me take the seedlings out of the house in winter!
Those bugs bug us!

Not the mesh, but I've hid them away from the gnats in domed seedling trays. It's kind of a stop-gap solution, Bti (Dunks, Bits, liquid solution, etc) and sticky traps have given the best results so far.

Hi everyone!

Something is going on with my indoor pepper plants this season. Some leaves are discolored, curly and fall off by just touching them.

I've noticed some gnats and I believe because it's a mild winter this year they don't die off like they use to. However, I don't know if gnats are the troublemakers this time around. What do you think, will gnats make the leaves look like this?

2rpck6p.jpg

96gbd2.jpg

Meet my new gnat killer.
image.jpg

My 3rd grade son was really interested in a Venus Flytrap when we went to the Botannical Gardens 2 weeks ago so I got him this. He then said "maybe it will help with the gnats in your pepper room". I thought hell it can't hurt. I'm not really expecting much from it, but I thought it was pretty cool that he thought of it.

Growing some okra this year for the first time.
Found these "bubble" type eggs on the underside of the leaves.

Anybody know what they might be?

Figured I would add this since I just had an outbreak of these. Not sure if this is enough info.

Psyllids

Description: nymph stage looks very similar to aphids. Mostly live on the underside of leaves. Lay eggs on the leaf borders. Excretes a white substance that looks like granulated sugar.

Threat level: 3

Control: Permethrin, Pyrethrin

Biological Control: Sulfur dusting, Insecticidal soaps, Ladybugs

Prevention:

Damage caused: Causes more damage to Tomato and Potato plants. nymph's feed on leaves and weakens them.

I haven't reviewed every post here, but it would be quick and helpful to have a series of photos on the 1st page showing actual damage caused by various insects. Look up the insect; see the corresponding damage it causes to pepper plants.

Roguejim said:
I haven't reviewed every post here, but it would be quick and helpful to have a series of photos on the 1st page showing actual damage caused by various insects. Look up the insect; see the corresponding damage it causes to pepper plants.

That's a good idea. IDing pest damage is more important than IDing pests, imo. I'll try to get some pics of flea beetle damage on the marigolds I plant in my raised beds. 

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
That's a good idea. IDing pest damage is more important than IDing pests, imo. I'll try to get some pics of flea beetle damage on the marigolds I plant in my raised beds.
Yeah, it seems a lot of the time people ask "What's attacking my plant?", with a corresponding photo of the damage, minus the culprit.

TWO SPOTTED SPIDER MITES (can be reddish in color also - depending on how arid the environment is; the ones I fought were blackish)

MITE1-Two-spotted-mites-peanuts.jpg

Adult-and-Egg-Two-Spotted-Spider-Mites_Wikimedia-Commons_Feature-Image.gif

twospotted.jpg

spidermites.jpg

Red_spider_mite_(Tetranychus_urticae).jpg
Two-Spotted-Spider-Mites-With-Eggs.jpg

Pest name : Two Spotted Spider Mite

Threat level:  7
Control: Prune and Neem (Pyrethrum foggers can be effective if indoors and used properly)
Biological Control: Organic
Prevention: clean area and THOROUGHLY spray new plants
Damage caused: Starts off with speckled yellow spots all over the effected leaves. Mites suck sap from leaves and leave a small yellow spot at the feeding site. Can curl leaves and smother plants with webbing in severe cases. Possible to kill plants if left untreated.

Problem with spider mites - if numbers get too big, they can over-power natural predators!

I recently had a bout with two spotted spider mites and successfully fought them off in a matter of about two weeks.

Step 1 - Remove all majorly effected leaves. Defoliate to the bare minimum (leave at least 25% of foliage). Clean all dead plant matter from soil and area around the plant.

Step 2 - Spray with 3/4 tsp Neem per Liter of water - TOP AND BOTTOM of leaves - soak them.

Step 3 - Repeat every three days until mites are gone. The repeating part is the MOST IMPORTANT!!! If you give them longer, they will start a new cycle and come back with a vengeance. 

Spider mite damage and signs:
bug1.jpg

spider%20mite%20damage.jpg

1-bigpestsmall.jpg

Mites can be hard to spot unless you are looking real close, at least until they end up doing a lot of damage.  One way I found to find them early, is to spray the plants with a real light mist.  That seems to make any webbing show up very clearly, and it always surprises me when I see a web someplace, where I would have sworn there was nothing.  The water mist makes the webs really visible.  Then it is a case of nuking the buggers as they are tough to kill unless you apply multiple applications of whatever poison you choose.

Nice pictures up above, but what a god awful infestation!  The borg!

Back