• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

The Philster Splatocaster Rebuild

16218365900_e6645d927e_h.jpg

16219555739_da1195f4fb_h.jpg

Got all five springs on just to keep it tight until I get string tension on there. And why in the world would they have an acoustic style input jack on this thing? Almost everything had to be modified to fit the new hardware! The pots didn't fit at first because the shafts were too short.... they were designed for mounting on a pick guard. Had to use a paddle bit to drill a recessed area into the cavity so the threads would make it through. Had to drill the holes for the shafts bigger. I thought about using the old longer shaft pots out of the Ibanez, but they were 500k, and I needed to use 250k for the low output pups. I'm just glad the 5-Way switch fit!

looks good. i spent half of my day taking apart my bass amp. For sure need two need volume pots on her. I cleaned it out and got the crackle to stop when you move the volume knobs but they are wore out. Only time before they start crackling again.

Try spraying some contact cleaner in them and roll 'em back and forth a bajillion times. I've seen it work on Dave's World Of Fun Stuff Youtube channel.

Edit... Ah.... never mind. You said you cleaned it.

Phil said:
Try spraying some contact cleaner in them and roll 'em back and forth a bajillion times. I've seen it work on Dave's World Of Fun Stuff Youtube channel.
Done it. LIke 5 million times. Problem is the needle is rubbed down the connection. You can roll and cean and they will work for a while but will keep going cracky.  But thats what Im doing for the time being.

"The oll roll and blow"

It hasn't come in yet. The body should be here Friday. I'm gonna be busy!

I think I know where I screwed up with the P&G one..... I used a gloss base coat. Swirl didn't stick as well.

Cool, thanks! Price-wise, I'm looking to stay mid range. The necks I've priced so far range from $100  to over $300... I can deal with the low end, but not the high end. Since the body I ordered is vintage 50s style, I'd like to make the rest of the parts match the era, so I've already warned my wife that this one might be a little more expensive than the last one. I want to say I spent about $350 total on the purple and gold strat so far. I'm curious about the quality of the $40 necks on that GF website. I didn't see a joint in the neck, so that's a good sign.

Update.... I see why the necks are so inexpensive now. They're unfinished and need to have a fret leveling job done. Not a bad deal, really.

U#2..... And I've found the finished necks. Still a good price

I appreciate it, Siccy, but I think I'm gonna stick with tele style for this parts-caster. And I insist that every part that goes on it be made in America, since it's getting the RW&B swirl job. The only thing I'm up in the air about is do I go ashtray style bridge, or Bigsby...

I've decided..... Bigsby it is. It just looks sexy on a Tele

Phil said:
I appreciate it, Siccy, but I think I'm gonna stick with tele style for this parts-caster. And I insist that every part that goes on it be made in America, since it's getting the RW&B swirl job. The only thing I'm up in the air about is do I go ashtray style bridge, or Bigsby...

I've decided..... Bigsby it is. It just looks sexy on a Tele

Any progress in the last 3 months?

Sadly, no. I effed up the dip job and it has to be sanded back down and redone. Been just hanging there while I've spent the last couple of months shifting my attention (and money) to getting the courtyard green and growing again. And then we've had weeks of rain in-between. Most of April was a washout, and lots of May has been, as well. I'll be shifting back to it soon.

I keep coming back here to admire your work man! I would love to hear a sample sometime, but it might be hard to capture it's true tone. How do you like the pickups? Loving the decal on the headstock by the way!

Thanks! I really like the pickups. The tone is deep, rich, and warm like you'd expect from Fender. I think th emain thing that's kept me from putting up some audio is my lack of talent to do the guitar justice. I can jam out some Metallica, Slayer, and Tool riffs, but these pickups deserve better than that. If you listen to Yellow Ledbetter by Pearl Jam, that's how they sound.... only I'm not Mike McCready

Back