The proper way to do a SASBE

Question:

what happens when you send off a sasbe after an agreed arrangement has been made
and then you find yourself waiting for a response that never arrives after like 2 weeks later?

so basically I sent some one quite a few seeds along with about 2 bucks worth of postage + a bubble envy
for them to returned in and have not yet received word back in 2 weeks..

so I'm guessing perhaps the guy either snickered & enjoyed free sent seeds
or his car exploded after it spun off a road/cliff somewhere (one can only hope)..

either way I suspect I got scRewed! :confused:

Where did they live -- (ie. is it within the US or international ?) - while 2 weeks may seem like a long time without any word - if it is international shipping passing through customs it may just be a delay in receiving the package. Though they should have responded to your e-mail ( assuming you contacted them ) unless perhaps they are out of town on vacation or something for a week or 2 which is also a possibility) -- I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and try to contact them and give it a bit longer before giving up.

Also just for future reference normally if trading seeds you do not need to send a SASBE as each person in the trade should cover the postage to the other person -- SASBE's are normally for single sided transactions where you are being given seeds - so that the person giving them does not wind up paying for something when he is giving them away.

@ JDFan

no it wasn't across seas it was somewhat close & not trying to turn this into a long discussion about my problems
I was just curious what is the proper guidelines to follow if & when these sorta things occur..
you know ..report him? ..track him down & drag him out of his car & kick his aRse? etc lol

for all i know the guy is probably busy who knows.. just seems longer then a usual wait that's all.

Pm them, if they just stole your seeds. Name them on th board so nobody else gets caught in the same situation.

I'll give him another week the guy may be occupied with life/work or maybe just a simple case he forgot.
if it turns out I jumped the gun I would hate to seem a total nut job over seeds.. if i got screwed O'well life goes on.

I'll give him another week the guy may be occupied with life/work or maybe just a simple case he forgot.
if it turns out I jumped the gun I would hate to seem a total nut job over seeds.. if i got screwed O'well life goes on.

Figure if you don't hear back after another week or so just post a thread in the vendors vault with the details so others can be made aware of the situation as well and that would also give them a chance to post their side as well if they wanted and at least then you'd have a response.

Sooooo, I sent an SASBE off for some free seeds and got the envelope in the mail yesterday and it was packed inside another envelope from the post office.

Looks like it had a rough journey.

PICT0229.jpg

PICT0227.jpg

This is our tax dollars hard at work.

Good day everyone, Robert

I stand corrected. Armac you are correct, the post office has not been funded by tax dollars since the 1980's. but just the same the United States Postal Service (USPS), also known as the Post Office and U.S. Mail, is an independent agency of the United States government

Anyhow this just shows the importance of using a bubble envelope to protect the valuable contents.

Have a good day, Robert

Sooooo, I sent an SASBE off for some free seeds and got the envelope in the mail yesterday and it was packed inside another envelope from the post office.

Looks like it had a rough journey.

Yep - that shows what happens when you do not get the clerks hand sorting the bubble pack and sending it through the automated sorters (this is why most offices charge the higher postage for bubble envelopes - the added cost is because the bubble packs need to be hand sorted due to thickness or they can get caught in the sorter and torn up just like that !! ) and is an example off why you need to include the postage for sending it back as a package ($1.95) instead of just a couple stamps on the package so it gets manually sorted ! ( Actually looks like you were pretty lucky and they salvaged it for the most part sometimes the contents wind up in the trash and you just get the empty package )

I have a couple questions about shipping and mailing as I have not had to do it before.

An srfb is I think about $5.80 to ship, and you have to go to the post office to do this, am I correct?

How many stamps for just a plain self addressed envelope?

How many stamps go on a bubble envelope?

Thank you for your replies.

PepperDaddler said:
I have a couple questions about shipping and mailing as I have not had to do it before.

An srfb is I think about $5.80 to ship, and you have to go to the post office to do this, am I correct?

How many stamps for just a plain self addressed envelope?

How many stamps go on a bubble envelope?

Thank you for your replies.

I would go to the post office for the SFRB......reason being, you get Free Tracking # on Priority Mail.

For plain SASE, 1 stamp should suffice.

For SASBE, 2-3 stamps depending on size/weight of the envelope.....I always go with 3 just to be safe.

I saw the srfbs sitting with all the other boxes but did not know if I could take it with me and bring back and then pay for it, or if I had to stuff it there and pay for it right then and there.

Are the boxes free you just pay for the shipping?

If so could I just walk out of the office with like 30 boxes and they would not say anything?

I saw the srfbs sitting with all the other boxes but did not know if I could take it with me and bring back and then pay for it, or if I had to stuff it there and pay for it right then and there.

Are the boxes free you just pay for the shipping?

If so could I just walk out of the office with like 30 boxes and they would not say anything?
The priority and express boxes are free (not the boxes without USPS all over it) ,take as many of the usps boxes as you like. You can also order them online and they will send you a bulk amount of them for free to your door. I used to get hundreds sent to me back when I did eBay business, they also had amazing tape which I don't think they offer anymore.

I just ordered 45 padded envelopes and 100 address labels from USPS, all shipped to my door for free. Awesome. Didn't know you could do that

illWill said:
I just ordered 45 padded envelopes and 100 address labels from USPS, all shipped to my door for free. Awesome. Didn't know you could do that

How did you get the envelopes for free? They're usually like $1.60?
I am assuming bubble envelopes, yes?

They're free from the usps website, shipped to your door
You have to send them usps though or its a felony or some bullshit
They arw pretty big envelopes though, I didn't realise that at the time I ordered them

Welp, I'll be that person that asks a stupid question. Asking despite the silliness as it might be helpful to someone else as well.

How are people in Canada getting their hands on US stamps to send in a SASE? I've done research online, but I've read various things, some contradicting. 

Option 1 seemed to be that Canada Post could help me, but went in today, the lady said they only sold Canadian stamps, and offered to sell me the Canadian US stamps (won't work as they are still Canadian stamps....). Obviously, this would have been the ideal solution. I read in several spots that I could buy the US stamps at Canada Post (people reported doing it) but the lady seemed genuinely confused when I inquired about them.

Option 2 is to use an international reply coupon, but I read that these can be very expensive, ie $$.

Option 3 is to send money instead of a stamp. Not ideal.

Option 4 is to have someone in the states buy and send you US stamps.

At this point, I think I can go to USPS.com and buy stamps myself, but is there really no other way? What are other international users doing?

Back