• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food The Rajun' Cajun Cussin' Creole Cook

Rairdog said:
Kick me in the head....but  I can microwave some Rue.  Ya...it's not right but it works.  I have done it to the dark desire without the dreaded burn for 20 years. 

Mix in your green onion, onion, garlic, pepper and celery in the Rue and it will sizzle while hot from the micro. 

Then I mix it with stir fried chicken and sausage.  Add boiling water with chicken stock and okra and it gives a good gumbo in short time.  
Hey, if it works for you. Cajuns are most certainly inventive. My mother unable to use fat cooking for my father, toaster ovens the flour to turn it dark and adds it to the mix.

hot stuff said:
Hey, if it works for you. Cajuns are most certainly inventive. My mother unable to use fat cooking for my father, toaster ovens the flour to turn it dark and adds it to the mix.

I was on the road traveling with an older Cajun couple....we made do with the kitchenettes in the hotel.  I still have a hard time getting it that dark in CI.

Reviving this thread to drop a good resource I just found. I'm cooking a jambalaya for tonight's LSU/Bama game, and I was doing a little browsing to make sure I get the rice to water ratio and cooking time right, and I stumbled onto this spreadsheet. It's one hell of a calculator for different pot sizes, crowd sizes, large batches, etc. Lots of good info on here if anyone would like to try their hand at jambalaya.

If you click the link, it will take you directly to the download. I can verify that it's safe... It was published by a New Orleans news outlet, and I D/Led it on my work computer. It's a well thought out Excel spreadsheet that was put together by a retired lawyer who attended LSU. Enjoy!

http://media.nola.com/food_impact/other/Jambalaya%20Calculator%20v7.0.xls

Phil said:
Reviving this thread to drop a good resource I just found. I'm cooking a jambalaya for tonight's LSU/Bama game, and I was doing a little browsing to make sure I get the rice to water ratio and cooking time right, and I stumbled onto this spreadsheet. It's one hell of a calculator for different pot sizes, crowd sizes, large batches, etc. Lots of good info on here if anyone would like to try their hand at jambalaya.

If you click the link, it will take you directly to the download. I can verify that it's safe... It was published by a New Orleans news outlet, and I D/Led it on my work computer. It's a well thought out Excel spreadsheet that was put together by a retired lawyer who attended LSU. Enjoy!

http://media.nola.com/food_impact/other/Jambalaya%20Calculator%20v7.0.xls
I picked on that one a while back. Thanks for reminding me of it. I hope you didn't taste your jambalaya twice after last night's game. Bama sure had our Fournette's number last night. Well, 3 more games to go.

hot stuff said:
I picked on that one a while back. Thanks for reminding me of it. I hope you didn't taste your jambalaya twice after last night's game. Bama sure had our Fournette's number last night. Well, 3 more games to go.

Yeah, that game was enough to make you sick, but I held it down. Bama's defense was the best Fournette's seen all year. Most run yards allowed by LSU all season, least run yards gained by Fournette all season.

I was looking at the amounts of rice that spreadsheet calls for, and I was in disbelief. 4 cups of rice for a 7 quart pot?? Wow! I scaled it back to 3 cups. Could have even went with 2 cups and been fine. The key is the simmer and steam time. Simmer on medium/low covered for 20 minutes. Turn fire off, fluff the rice, cover and steam for 20 more.

Making some tasso today!  Cured with lots of kosher salt, Tender Quick, cayenne, paprika, black  pepper, and garlic powder.

23956922264_3825411c0a_b.jpg

Phil said:
Four hours in. The flavor is on point. The center is still a tad moist. Supposed to be semi-dry..... kinda like jerky. It's definitely got enough smoke. Moved it to the oven @ 170° to finish.

24590495545_5065f06381_b.jpg
mmmmm. tasso.

It's done. I'm going to leave it whole to give back to the neighbor. He brought me this loin and asked me to make him some tasso with it, so I did. I'll definitely be doing it again with butt. Loin really isn't the cut to make it with. BUT, it sure is full of flavor from the end I cut to taste test it! Gonna let it cool and then vacuum pack it.

10# shrimp
2 sticks real butter
1 cup olive oil
1.5 cups Worschescher(sp?)
2 beers
Sprinkle with minced garlic, chili powder, diced onion, salt, white (preferred) pepper/black if necessary
1 loaf of french bread

Mix everything(except bread) together in a dish pan big enough and put in oven, covered, at 400 for 30 min. then uncover, mix it up some more, check it every ten minutes (cover each time) until all the shrimp are pink.
put shrimp in bowls and eat.
Use bread to sop up the juice left behind.

Back