• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Ramen Lover's Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have never had an authentic bowl of ramen, you are missing out. Find out the nearest ramen joint to your area and get out there STAT.

For the rest of you have love yourself a tasty, steaming bowl of noodley goodness, post your pics and add location details and help out the uninitiated.

I'll start with this one. Kara-Miso Ramen (literally spicy miso) from a chain store called Ramen Bandai (formerly Kurumaya Ramen). Was good for what it was, but since they took out their signature garlic from the miso (name change and chain consolidation I think) it just doesn't hit the spot anymore. :-(

Still enjoyed it though!

10894937_447566508730554_472728886_n.jpg

My favorite "made at home" ramen is with fish balls and Thai tom yum paste. I get Assi brand powdered seafood stock which has a fraction of the sodium but it does have a bunch of MSG. I have also make it with homemade dashi stock using dried anchovy, kombu and shiitake which is way better. No salt added chicken stock isnt bad either. The paste will add plenty of salt for most people. Mae Ploy brand Tom Yum paste works pretty well for what i call Tom Yum noodles.

I have access to fresh galangal and i grow my own lemon grass so its fairly close to authentic in flavor.

Another favorite is pork or seafood and kimchi. I just buy the plain noodles and nearly always make my own broth from scratch. I do like the Shin Black and the Nongshim black bean flavor with a little "doctoring". The Jajangmyeon though is not really a ramen style. Its more of a lo mein with a fried black bean sauce, I usually add some stirfried cabbage and pork to it. Mine comes out like a cross between Korean Jajangmyeon and Chinese fried sauce noodles. It has just enough sauce to season the noodles.

If you REALLY want to taste something great, try making Jjamppong from scratch. Get some frozen wheat noodles from an Asian market and look up Maangchi's recipe. There used to be a small resturaunt that made the best Jjamppong i ever had but they closed. :( He would add beef with the seafood and made the noodles from scratch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4wTyYyb7ek

[SIZE=24pt]Shoyu Ramen Soup[/SIZE]
[SIZE=17pt]Master Recipe[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]MAKES 5-6 CUPS[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]3 qt chicken broth[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]2 cup water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]1 ounce ginger, skin left on and crushed[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]3 large shitake mushrooms[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]1 scallion diced[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]3 dried chiles[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]½ small carrot (about 2 ounces)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Simmer for 2 hours, strain. [/SIZE]

KIq5dhC.jpg

GMKtfhR.jpg

SHOYU RAMEN

[SIZE=11pt]soy sauce tare[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]1 cup soy sauce[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]¼ cup sake[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]1 tablespoon mirin[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]½ ounce ginger, peel on and crushed[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]1 scallion, trimmed and coarsely chopped[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]1 bunch spinach (about 1 pound), trimmed and cleaned[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Add ingredients to sauce pan, heat just till simmer and remove from heat. Let cool. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I had some left over from last week. [/SIZE]

TfvAAy9.jpg

[SIZE=24pt]Noodles[/SIZE]

INGREDIENTS
 [SIZE=12pt]Makes 6 portions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]3 C (400g)[/SIZE] [SIZE=10pt]all-purpose flour[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]1/2 C[/SIZE] [SIZE=10pt]baked soda[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]1/2 C (100g)[/SIZE] [SIZE=10pt]warm tap water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]·         [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]1/2 C (100g)[/SIZE] [SIZE=10pt]cold tap water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]·         [/SIZE]

PREPARATION
1.      To make baked soda: Spread a half-cup of baking soda on a foil-lined sheet pan. Pop it in a 250°F oven or toaster oven for 1 hour. Store extra baked soda in a jar with a lid indefinitely.
2.      Put the warm water in a large mixing bowl. Dissolve 4 teaspoons of the baked soda in it, then add the cold water. Add the flour, stirring and mixing to form a crumbly, pebbly alliance—not exactly a nice dough.
3.      Turn that crumbly dough out onto a work surface. Knead it together, working the dough for 5 full minutes. (It will be a tougher sparring partner than any flour dough you’ve ever tried to make.) Wrap the dough in plastic and let it rest at room temperature for 20 minutes, then knead for another 5 minutes. (You will curse and sweat.) Rewrap the dough and put it in the fridge for at least 1 hour.

S9vVfLc.jpg

4.      Divide the dough into five or six portions. Roll each portion out using a pasta machine (Italian-made is fine). Progress through the thickness settings one by one. The final thickness of the noodles is up to you, as is the width and shape into which you cut them. I like taking the dough to the second-thinnest setting, then either finely hand-cutting them or cutting them through the finer of the two cutters that came with my machine. Keep the noodles well floured to prevent them from sticking.

hXPSdNk.jpg

NMYpnb0.jpg

3LuiPOG.jpg

5.      Cook the noodles in a deep pot with plenty of water. Noodles cut on the thinnest setting will only need two and a half or three minutes to cook. Check the noodles regularly while they’re cooking; if they stick together, rinse them under cold water immediately after straining them from the pot to stop the cooking and rinse off any excess starch.

ZWo5tiW.jpg

Need a bump

bacon, check

VPf6jcy.jpg

5lyaNA4.jpg

For a soft boiled egg, with needle punch a small hole in bottom of egg, boil for 7 minutes spinning the egg for the first 2 minutes. Shock with cold water and peel. 

[SIZE=12pt]While the noodles are cooking, pour into each bowl ¼ cup of the tare and 1 ½ -2 cups of the hot ramen soup.[/SIZE]

pHqPdcY.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]When the noodles are ready, drain them into a colander. Carefully divide the noodles among the bowls, being careful not to splash the hot soup. For each bowl, assemble the ramen and garnish with veggies and scallions. In this case it was bacon, egg, baby bok choy, spinach and pickled ginger. [/SIZE]

JAP79wU.jpg

Enjoy!

prk6Flz.jpg

SUpU0Xm.jpg

awesome! that looks great

calchilihead said:
Im going back to Japan again in 3 weeks, ill post up all the tasty ramen :)

so jealous. Im trying to figure out when I have to remediate this physiology and when summer classes start right now, so my gf and I could go to japan for a few weeks
calchilihead said:
Im going back to Japan again in 3 weeks, ill post up all the tasty ramen :)

so jealous. Im trying to figure out when I have to remediate this physiology and when summer classes start right now, so my gf and I could go to japan for a few weeks

It's been a while since I've been here, life is busy in growing season. 

A while back I tried to make beef Pho and I didn't like it. I used some premade mix but also followed a few youtubes. Well today I found a place that makes it and had to try it. I had some running around to do so I got it to go and I'm hooked. I couldn't believe it came with more ingredients than was listed in most recipes. I can see this being at least a weekly stop till I figure out how to make it myself.

I'm in La and there's 3 Asian markets/stores here and they seem to be loaded with products that I know I should be using to try new stuff. The restaurant I found was a few doors down from a market and just happen to see the small sign at the end a a small hidden strip shopping center. 

Can someone look over this menu and recommend any dishes you like? 

http://maesone.com/

Rajun Gardener said:

Looks like this restaurant is making dishes from several different countries rather than specializing in just one national cuisine. Usually I think restaurants execute better when they concentrate in one particular style. That being said I do love me some rice noodles, and they are delicious in dishes in 9, 10, 11... and green papaya salad (21) is wonderful too. Green papaya tastes nothing like ripe papaya.

Rajun Gardener said:
It's been a while since I've been here, life is busy in growing season. 

A while back I tried to make beef Pho and I didn't like it. I used some premade mix but also followed a few youtubes. Well today I found a place that makes it and had to try it. I had some running around to do so I got it to go and I'm hooked. I couldn't believe it came with more ingredients than was listed in most recipes. I can see this being at least a weekly stop till I figure out how to make it myself.

I'm in La and there's 3 Asian markets/stores here and they seem to be loaded with products that I know I should be using to try new stuff. The restaurant I found was a few doors down from a market and just happen to see the small sign at the end a a small hidden strip shopping center. 

Try their Pho. It has good reviews on Yelp. There is a pic of a pork curry soup not listed on the menu also. I would try to find out if they are Thai owned or???? Some foods cross cultural cooking styles occasionally too. I find it interesting that i did not see some of the really popular Chinese noodles other than Lo Mein. That kind of leads me to think they are not Chinese owned or just chose not to offer the authentic Chinese noodle dishes....I LOVE real dan dan noodles....not the soup style many places in the USA offer.

Its really hard to make a good suggestion without seeing the place and their food in person.

very cool, i've always wanted to try shio (salt) ramen. that and tsukamen are the 2 styles i have not tried out. i've made tsukamen before 
DeBo said:
Went to Ramen Underground in San Francisco last week, got Tonkotsu with habanero sauce.  Mighty tasty.

9W6OUwsh.jpg

RASMlJdh.png

i completely agree with her. can't ever go wrong with some som tum
Muckyai said:
Looks like this restaurant is making dishes from several different countries rather than specializing in just one national cuisine. Usually I think restaurants execute better when they concentrate in one particular style. That being said I do love me some rice noodles, and they are delicious in dishes in 9, 10, 11... and green papaya salad (21) is wonderful too. Green papaya tastes nothing like ripe papaya.

Even the people in Japan say, when in Japan book a flight to the US for the best ramen at D3monic's house's. Thanks for ruining another shirt D3, drooled all over it again.  

I bet D3monic is just chef Ramsay trolling us haha. :D Cheers!

13 dollars for ramen??? The hell just happened... San Francisco is what just happened.... You can buy a lot of Nongshim ramen for 13 clams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back