• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Ramen Lover's Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have never had an authentic bowl of ramen, you are missing out. Find out the nearest ramen joint to your area and get out there STAT.

For the rest of you have love yourself a tasty, steaming bowl of noodley goodness, post your pics and add location details and help out the uninitiated.

I'll start with this one. Kara-Miso Ramen (literally spicy miso) from a chain store called Ramen Bandai (formerly Kurumaya Ramen). Was good for what it was, but since they took out their signature garlic from the miso (name change and chain consolidation I think) it just doesn't hit the spot anymore. :-(

Still enjoyed it though!

10894937_447566508730554_472728886_n.jpg

internationalfish said:
Another post-drinking ramen stop. This stuff was decent, and... Japanese-level spicy. So barely at all. My wife got the pork broth, which I'll definitely get next time we go there, assuming I'm not too drunk to order the right thing. Again.

spicy-ramen.jpg
Looks good!

But, "Japanese-level spicy" being not that spicy? Obviously you need to get Level 10 at Cocos Ichibanya Curry House.

The closest large market had the Pantai crab paste and Yeo brand laksa paste....and yes the Pantai is way more expensive because it has 60% crab listed. Grabbed a pack of fresh somen noodles and a larger package of the coconut cream powder too.

CRAP!!!!....i forgot the tau pok!!!!!!

ShowMeDaSauce said:
The closest large market had the Pantai crab paste and Yeo brand laksa paste....and yes the Pantai is way more expensive because it has 60% crab listed. Grabbed a pack of fresh somen noodles and a larger package of the coconut cream powder too.

CRAP!!!!....i forgot the tau pok!!!!!!

I can't get that paste here, the Pantai says 50% extract that I bought.

We just ate Alfredo shrimp with fettuccine but I just sampled because I'm playing with another broth and will make a curry shrimp dish. Results later.

Rajun Gardener said:
Is it this place? I'd like to try that bowl at least once.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrMsWztL1n8

Yep! That's the chain. Thing is, some of them specialize in ramen and some tsukemen (dipping noodles). The tsukemen is the one I really love, but I'm having a hard time finding the location I went to. Anyway, they're probably fairly standardized, so it's likely to be one of the better noodle experiences here for spicy food lovers.

Rajun Gardener said:

I can't get that paste here, the Pantai says 50% extract that I bought.

We just ate Alfredo shrimp with fettuccine but I just sampled because I'm playing with another broth and will make a curry shrimp dish. Results later.

The market did have another Pantai crab paste. The jar had a little different label than the one i got. It was 50% crab iirc. I got a 7oz jar of the 60%. It was over $5 which i thought was high. They had a larger jar in the $10 range too.

Their website does not list ingredients....It just calls the other one (formula 2)
http://www.pantainorasingh.com/?name=products&file=brand&bid=5

Thanks to TGCM for the idea to add miso to the broth!!!

Spicy tonkotsu ramen. I used leftover broth from the Shoyu last night then added white miso paste, sambal and white mushrooms. I made char siu that I had marinating over night.

I was surprised the broth had that much gelitan in it for a 4 hour broth.
100_4629.JPG

Spicy tonkotsu broth with Japanese ramen noodles, baby bok choi, mushrooms, diced green onions, dried garlic, sambal and Tare soaked boiled egg.
100_4635.JPG

I started making a few Youtube videos and tried to make one Friday but after watching a few clips I think I sound drunk. I had a bad cold for a week and been on decongestants then I had a few cocktails to quench the dry throat.

Whadda Ya think, do I sound drunk? This is just a small clip and I had to add the music for kicks.

This is my seafood curry but with stone crabs claws, same recipe I posted in the curry thread--I think.
https://youtu.be/I1QKXaB7FVE

I finally finished editing that seafood ramen curry video.
This is my take on curry noodles, Sri Lanka style. It's all in the cooking process so I made a video with all the details. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p5p2gFh-EI&feature=youtu.be
vlcsnap-2019-08-25-16h42m58s084.png

vlcsnap-2019-08-25-20h15m53s262.png

vlcsnap-2019-08-25-20h16m18s724.png

Rob's Seafood Curry Recipe

Ingredients:
2 carrots grated
A thumb size piece of ginger shredded
1 medium onion chopped fine
1.5" of cilantro stalks chopped fine. I cut off the ends and use the fresh stalks
1 large sized tomato diced.
4 cloves of garlic diced
1/4 cup sliced cilantro for garnish
1/4 cup sliced green onions for garnish
Noodles: I used ramen but any thin noodles will work or it can be served over rice.

Seafood:
1 paella pack of seafood, it has octopus, clams, shrimp and squid in it
8-10 Stone crab claws
1 1/2 lb of fresh peeled shrimp
1 quart of shrimp stock, any seafood stock will work
NOTE: You can add any seafood you like, snow crabs, clams and blue crabs work just as well.

Spices:
1 heaping TBS of Jonggavision Hot Pepper Paste
1 tsp of Sesame seed oil
1 heaping TBS of yellow curry powder, I used Sherwood brand
1 TBS Instant Tom Yum Paste (Hot and Sour Soup), Por Kwan brand
1 tsp of Rajah brand Garam Masala
1 TBS of Sambal Oelek Chilli Paste 
2 TBS of canola or olive oil to saute the vegetables.
1 5.6oz can of coconut cream

Directions:
Add 2 TBS of canola oil to pot on high heat, saute the onions and carrots first till soft.
Add the cilantro, garlic and ginger
Cook till vegetables are dry and most moisture is released and evaporated.
Add 1 tsp of Garam Masala and 1TBS of curry powder, cook spices a few mintes then add Tom Yum paste while stirring to mix with vegetables.
Add shrimp stock and simmer till reduced to almost a paste.
Then add tomatoes and a heaping TBS of the pepper paste, simmer tomatoes till it thickens again.
Add cocnut cream with a little water to rinse out the can and 1 TBS of Sambal pepper paste
Simmer a few minutes to incorporate the flavors and add all the seafood with 2 cups of water
Simmer for 15 minutes while stirring till thickened a little
Turn off heat and let cool a few minutes to thicken

Serve over ramen or rice topped with cilantro and green onions, More Sambal hot sauce if you like it spicy!
Bon Appetite!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back