• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Soup Thread

For some reason, I've never been a soup-maker. Well, until I joined THP. Can't explain it; it just is. At any rate, experimented with a new one tonight, and started thinking there may well be many of you who make not-just-ordinary soup and want to share. Here's tonight's creation. Sorry for the dark pic!

Ingredients:

4 Leeks, sliced thin
2 Yams (small), cut into small cubes
1/4 Cup Butter
1/4 Cup Flour
3 Cloves Garlic
3 Poblano peppers
3 Jalapeno peppers
Bell pepper
11 oz can Corn
Can Artichoke hearts
26 oz Chicken stock
1/2 Quart Half and Half
Cayenne powder
Cumin
Oregano
Mace
Sea Salt
Roasted chicken, shredded
Fresh Cilantro
6 oz shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Melt the butter over medium-high heat, add leeks and yams, sauteé until the leeks are soft. Add the flour, and stir to combine. Add garlic and seasonings to taste (except cilantro), then the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, and let cook until it starts to thicken. Reduce the heat to medium, then add everything else. Continue to cook until bubbly and the veggies are at the desired level of done-ness.

poblano.jpg

I hope you give this a try - it's good!

Nice Omri! So that's kubeh?

Oh cool. But those are semolina dumplings, right? Just says semolina so wondered.

No dumplings. the bright pieces are just large chunks of cauliflowers. the semolina is there to give it texture.

That was my other guess! The cauliflower.

Cool, that looks delish.

We interupt the November TD to say that,
November and cool weather has come to Florida along with the inlaws. So, and I have been wanting to fix this for some time now, it's time for some
Zuppa di Zucca

2 Lbs Butternut Squash
1 unpeeled head of Garlic
1 Lg Onion
2 Habaneros
Olive Oil
Fresh Thyme
Chicken Stock
1 Pint Heavy Cream
Fresh Parsley
Fresh Parmasean Cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 400 Degrees F.

Cut off the top of the head of garlic to expose the cloves. Cut the Squash in half and remove seeds. Cut the onion in half leaving the skin on.
Arrange them all cut side up on a baking sheet. Drizzle with Olive Oil and scatter sprigs of fresh thyme over them.
Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.

718e0e49.jpg

Uncover and let cool for 10 minutes.

0f0d8da7.jpg

Scrape everything out of the peels into a food processor and puree.Squeze out as much garlic as desired and add the thyme also. Transfer to a blender if a smoother consistency is desired then into a crock pot or heavy pot. Add the pint of heavy cream and 2 cups of chicken stock. Salt and pepper (pepper is optional geeme)to taste.

d672ae93.jpg

Top with Fresh Parmasean and minced fresh parsley.

38a01d79.jpg

I'll have a homemade grilled chicken ceaser salad to go with this for lunch today.

Now we return you to the regularly scheduled TD.
Cheers,
RM

Looking fantabulous as always, RM! I had to laugh, as I've been thinking about making butternut squash soup, myself, and picked up ingredients for it today.

don't you just love a post that takes off like this, sorry i lost track and didn't follow up. i made a pumpkin soup yesterday with a yam base. we got snow and freezing temperatures and i thought it was fitting.

i am eyeballing a italian wedding soup next.

nice to see all the fresh homemade french onion soup mixes.

when, i saw rocketman's carved out squash, i thought he was going to use them as bowls to serve his soup. nothing like taking a nice large round pumpernickle loaf or sourdough and hollowing out the centre and using that as a serving bowl.

RM, that last pic matches how your food pics leave me!...Sideways! lol Man, the color of that stuff!!!

BC, That Wedding soup would be awesome to see, My wife LOVES that soup. I say go for it!
(I just realized your initials! lol, and you're from Alberta! lol) Calgary is soo beautiful! My Mother in law is from there.
FYI it's 11F, (-11C) here right now. ugh! and so it begins...

Ok, RM ~~~~

Squash, onion, garlic, and canario (instead of habs) are roasted and cooling to where I can handle them. I'll be pureéing the squash and canario, but the garlic and onion will only be minced, as I'm also putting chicken into it. Oh, and using chipotle chile powder instead of BP. :)

I'll have to scare up a link to my chicken tortilla soup, in which I use a can of pumpkin puree - you'd probably like that too. Hope you post something here soon!
Did you ever post the link to the Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe? I looked back through the posts, but couldn't find it. Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of my favorite soups, but my recipe doesn't call for pumpkin, so I'm very curious about your recipe.

Oooops! Thanks, geeme! Don't have a link for mine, and the recipe has morphed over the years. I'll try and post the current version later.

I'm making soup right now - Bean & Ham, but my husband is out of town visiting family and took the camera with him. I just start with the basic recipe that's in the BH&G cookbook, but I always add way more vegetables and seasonings than what they call for. I'm still pulling carrots out of the garden, so the soup is very colorful with the white, yellow, and orange carrots. One year I tried using purple carrots in my turkey soup. Won't do that again! Even though it tasted fine, the noodles, potatoes, and broth turned a very unappetizing purple color. :rofl:

Ela, I am envious of your awesome bread making skills! I make a lot of quick breads, like pumpkin, zucchini, banana, etc., because the kids love to eat it for breakfast, but I have never been brave enough to try yeast breads. They seem intimidating, especially at my high altitude.

It's definitely soup weather around here, so today's inspiration was-
Classic Clam Chowder

I thought I had a pic of all the ingredients, but I guess I just set all the ingredients up and forgot to snap the pictures. LOL Oh Well!

Here's the start-
celery, onion, spuds ( I cheated and used frozen...just because I had them and wondered if they'd work), country style bacon from the local meat shop, clams, clam juice, half-and-half cream, roux

c70fc140.jpg

Bacon, celery and onion getting all happy~
b5077c8d.jpg

And this is what happens when I try to cook and post at the same time~~~
629cbca3.jpg

Not to worry, I just took everything out of the pot, cleaned it and carried on-

9c55b236.jpg

Spuds, clam juice, getting all happy
f38f1c80.jpg

86fa0855.jpg

more "sorry, geeme"
0270cab3.jpg

The Kid's bowl-
5eb795fa.jpg

OK-so he didn't actually eat that dried half of a hab, but he did eat all the "sorry geeme"

We ate ours with a generous splash of a smoked habanero/garlic hot sauce and crackers.
95a7ab0b.jpg

Stay warm, my friends.

WOW SL - that looks awesome! And I'm going to go check my kitchen cabinets, as I KNOW you swiped one of my cut-glass bowls! (LOL - kidding!) Actually, I am double-jealous right now. I went to an Italian restaurant with a friend for dinner tonight, and was excited because they had linguini with clam sauce. I don't make it any more because my son became allergic to clams a handful of years back. But alas, this Italian-run Italian restaurant just doesn't make it like I'm used to - it was actually rather dry (bleh.) So to come home and find your home-made clam soup waiting........ just color me green!

Back