• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Soup Thread

For some reason, I've never been a soup-maker. Well, until I joined THP. Can't explain it; it just is. At any rate, experimented with a new one tonight, and started thinking there may well be many of you who make not-just-ordinary soup and want to share. Here's tonight's creation. Sorry for the dark pic!

Ingredients:

4 Leeks, sliced thin
2 Yams (small), cut into small cubes
1/4 Cup Butter
1/4 Cup Flour
3 Cloves Garlic
3 Poblano peppers
3 Jalapeno peppers
Bell pepper
11 oz can Corn
Can Artichoke hearts
26 oz Chicken stock
1/2 Quart Half and Half
Cayenne powder
Cumin
Oregano
Mace
Sea Salt
Roasted chicken, shredded
Fresh Cilantro
6 oz shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Melt the butter over medium-high heat, add leeks and yams, sauteé until the leeks are soft. Add the flour, and stir to combine. Add garlic and seasonings to taste (except cilantro), then the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, and let cook until it starts to thicken. Reduce the heat to medium, then add everything else. Continue to cook until bubbly and the veggies are at the desired level of done-ness.

poblano.jpg

I hope you give this a try - it's good!

It is getting cold here and I can’t stand it. Sorry about my rants, I’m just not in love with upcoming -20 F.

Late this afternoon I had to pick some left over greens and herbs from my garden and it was so coooooooooooooooooooold outside that I decided to warm myself with homemade chicken noodle soup and multigrain toast. The soup is made with homemade tomato pasta which recipe originated in Turkey. With some ‘penos and a lot of ground black pepper it was just what doctor prescribed me for this cold weather. :lol:

DSC02498.jpg

It is getting cold here and I can’t stand it. Sorry about my rants, I’m just not in love with upcoming -20 F.

Late this afternoon I had to pick some left over greens and herbs from my garden and it was so coooooooooooooooooooold outside that I decided to warm myself with homemade chicken noodle soup and multigrain toast. The soup is made with homemade tomato pasta which recipe originated in Turkey. With some ‘penos and a lot of ground black pepper it was just what doctor prescribed me for this cold weather. :lol:

DSC02498.jpg
Ela, that's a soup to WMS (Warm My Soul)
Your cooking is inspirational.

Wha..... I ... nEver!!!
OhYetUDid!~~~ :lol: :razz:

course, I'd never do anythin like that! ;) :lol:

Looks really tasty, Ela! (Yes, in spite of the black pepper..... :lol:) Do you mind sharing the recipe(s)?
Oh shush don't get touchy about black pepper.
bb4.gif
There are some jalapenos in this soup too it is not just all black pepper. :rofl:

I would gladly share recipe(s) with all of you.

I never measure ingredients for tomato pasta or for any bread. Throughout of years of making them I have developed touch for dough so I would do my best to give you all right measurements.Hope I wont miss
297.gif

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

4 bone in chicken thighs

1 celery stalk chopped

1 med size carrot chopped

1 small parsnip chopped

1 big tomato chopped or 1 can of crushed tomatoes

Salt to taste

Enough water to cover 2 inches above chicken.

Optional: one leek stalk, or bit of cabbage ,or peas, or string beans or 1 whole potato peeled.

Cook in pressure cooker on medium heat for about 40 min or in stock pot until is done.

After is done, transfer in stock pot, bring to a boil and add pasta about ¼ cup.Lower down heat to low and simmer until pasta is done. In the mean time slice just one round slice of onion bulb and toss it on very hot fraying pan with out oil. Cook it on both sides to get it bit dark with out burning to much. Add the onion slice to the almost done soup, adjust taste: add more salt, black pepper, parsley leaves or hot peppers.

Serve with bread toast.
Dry fried onion gives to any soup a realy nice flavor.Instead of chicken beef or veal bones could be used to.

Enjoy

I'll post recipes for multigrain bread and tomato pasta over the weekend.

heh, heh, heh - my evil plan is working! I made a rockin' soup last night (and I'll post pics as soon as I find where I put the camera! I suspect it might have got put in the fridge???)! Anyway, back to my plan -

It was good soup, but not very filling for a boy like Scovie! He woke up STARVING!!!!

hee hee - guess what he's doing right this very minute???? Big, fat, Country Breakfast to go with my watching the 'Huskers play ball!!!! I win again!!!! :)

Our flash doesn't work after 11:23 PM.. who knew?

It was good though...

CJ's Roasted Cauliflower soup...

1 Large head of c-flower cut into c-flower-ets
1 lg onion
1 lg poblano
4 cloves garlic
2 Tbs. EVOO
30 oz. (2 cans) chicken broth
1 C water
2 Bay leaves
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 Fatalli
1 cup 1/2 & 1/2
salt
BP optional

Roast veggies, EVOO in oven 400 30 min.s
Combine everything except 1/2 & 1/2 in saucepan, heat to a boil,
reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 min.s
discard bay leaves
add mixture to blender or F.P.
return to saucepan and add 1/2 & 1/2
Serve, topped with homemade chili powder seasoned croutons, crumbled bacon, and a dollop of sour cream...
DEVOUR.

dd27dde3.jpg

4284496a.jpg

a6533be8.jpg

063a16b2.jpg

Looks delicious CJ!!! For the first time ever a few months ago I made Turkey veggie soup and it was pretty good. Think its time to make chicken and dumplings next weekend will take pics and post when I do. :)
Nice plan CJ! You've got him trained hahaha!!!!,

Mmm roasted cauliflower soup. Nice one.

Ok, CJ...... I'm making your soup tonight. Well, except I prefer soup that is more like a stew, and hence, more filling. So, on top of your ingredients, I'm adding a second poblano, a bell pepper, 3 jalapenos, 2 parsnips, and some small yukon gold potatoes. "Some potatoes" because I asked my son to cut a couple up for me, and he apparently isn't sure what "a couple" really is! The veggies are roasting right now - I'll probably adjust the liquid, too, and will let you know how much of each I end up using.

Later:
Skipped the BP (of course!), skipped the water, and skipped the blender/FP, but did hit it with the hand mixer just a bit, so it's still chunky. Added cayenne powder and oregano, and at least doubled the thyme. Saw your red savina, raised it to T.Scorp.

Oh G.! I'm so excited to hear how you liked it!!! FWI - not one grain of BP was used in my batch! haha But how was it w/the t. scorp? I wanted to use Fatalli powder, but I think Scovie's hid it from me. How was it with the extra peppers and parsnips? Parsnips???? Ga-genious! I was wondering if you were going to puree it or not...next time I'll leave it a bit chunkier for body. Your batch certainly sounds scrumptious!!!! Cauliflower has never felt so proud! haha

Scovie went out diggin' in my haunted garden (looks more like a graveyard now!), and came up with some forgotten-about carrots. They're huge, and quite funny looking! The last thing I wanted was more veggies to preserve. BUT I just found a Carrot-Habanero Soup that sounds intriguing! I'll be trying that out this week sometime, but I think I'll ditch the hab for something more festive...maybe a chocolate bhut? It calls for white wine, so I s'pose I'll be buying a box of that soon! hahaha One glass for the soup, 5 for me! ;) Have fun slurpin' your soup!

And Ela - the only thing missing was a piece of your exquisite bread! I'm tryin' to learn tho! How did the jalapeno/cheddar creation turn out?

The carrot-hab soup does sound intriguing. The t-scorp made it HOT - holy cow! I dumped in much more than I had intended, having taken off the shaker lid and the stuff came out BOOM! But that aside, it was truly scrumptuous - thanks for sharing your recipe!

And Ela - the only thing missing was a piece of your exquisite bread! I'm tryin' to learn tho! How did the jalapeno/cheddar creation turn out?

It was yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum. I could hear my boys growling upstairs over left overs.:rofl: I think next time I would go with more jalapenos and bake it a bit longer.Probably 10 more minutes than I did this one.

Made some green soup today. :)

Chicken and onion stock
Cauliflowers
Potatoes
Parsley
Onions
Semolina
White peppercorns
Turmeric
Green Jolokia powder
Salt

cfsoup.jpg

Was excellent. I think I'll add spinach some next time.

Back