• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Soup Thread

For some reason, I've never been a soup-maker. Well, until I joined THP. Can't explain it; it just is. At any rate, experimented with a new one tonight, and started thinking there may well be many of you who make not-just-ordinary soup and want to share. Here's tonight's creation. Sorry for the dark pic!

Ingredients:

4 Leeks, sliced thin
2 Yams (small), cut into small cubes
1/4 Cup Butter
1/4 Cup Flour
3 Cloves Garlic
3 Poblano peppers
3 Jalapeno peppers
Bell pepper
11 oz can Corn
Can Artichoke hearts
26 oz Chicken stock
1/2 Quart Half and Half
Cayenne powder
Cumin
Oregano
Mace
Sea Salt
Roasted chicken, shredded
Fresh Cilantro
6 oz shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Melt the butter over medium-high heat, add leeks and yams, sauteé until the leeks are soft. Add the flour, and stir to combine. Add garlic and seasonings to taste (except cilantro), then the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, and let cook until it starts to thicken. Reduce the heat to medium, then add everything else. Continue to cook until bubbly and the veggies are at the desired level of done-ness.

poblano.jpg

I hope you give this a try - it's good!

Chorizo857_62J said:
Homegrown Bean with Bacon:

3 russet potatoes, cubed.
3 carrots,diced
3 yellow onions, minced, caramelized in the bacon grease.
2/3rds lb. thick bacon (someone got into it for breakfast)
Navy Beans
3 Bay leaves
1 tbsp. garlic powder (out of fresh)
1 small can tomato paste
1 tsp. black pepper
1 oz. my habanero red sauce
1 fresh red bhut cut into quarters.

My favorite soup to make.

Hey you you all extreme members? How do you upload all those pics?

Thanks for the soup idea GIP!! :cheers:
I just had one of the best bowls of bean soup ever!! :woohoo:  :dance:  :dance:  :woohoo:

I used the beans from last night and added sauteed onions, carrot and celery to it with more Cajun seasoning then smashed it a few times to thicken it up. I simmered it on low while I made garlic, parm croutons on the stove.
100-5529.jpg

I also made grilled ham and provolone/Moz cheese sammies.
100-5531.jpg

Made a bowl with croutons, Prov/moz cheese, sour cream and topped with Aleppo pepper flakes. BAM!!!
100-5535.jpg

I love that stringy cheesy goodness!
100-5536.jpg

100-5537.jpg

This time i wanted to recreate one of my throwdown soups  :dance:

You can find recipe and stuff in this throwdown entry here:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/62455-begin-soup-n-sammie-throwdown/?p=1375667

SeRV9hP.jpg
start with some chiles roasted until blistered on all sides. I chose Anaheims, Jalapenos, and yellow Rocotos, this time.

1XjM2FX.jpg
after you got your chiles initially roasted peeled and deseeded, put them back under the broiler for a few minutes more roasting 

t8e6DRZ.jpg
sweet white Corn and minced Shallots getting blackened

oVGMOa8.jpg
add in a cup of your chicken broth and get all those nice dark bits mixed in :drooling:
(i chose to add some smoked&dehydrated rings of Red Onion i made last time i smoked a big batch of peppers)

axvpqlN.jpg
put it all in the blender and liquefy

q2g8ghC.jpg
put it all in a big saucepan and add remaining measured chicken stock and bring back up to temp then add in cup of heavy whipping cream and bring back to temp again

hwtySN3.jpg
i chose to serve it with some crispy pulled pork, corn tortillas, and fresh red serrano slices  :drooling:  Yummy  :!:

Elpicante said:
Hey you you all extreme members? How do you upload all those pics?
dragonsfire said:
_
IMGUR.jpg

@ Elpicante.... Are you using a computer or a phone? If a computer the best way to post unlimited pix, short of an Extreme Membership, is using a picture hosting site as DragonsFire noted and can be seen above. They are easy to insert as noted by "the Hot Pepper in post #41 here.>_Posting Picture Tutorial

Back