food The Spicy Meatless Thread... (ya I went there)

Wow! I love gorg with pears and stuff like that... it can often overpower, having those other melty cheese sounds great!

I thought I had to be up to go to a job site today, but it got called off.  That means I'm working from home, ergo super awesome breakfast (but more like lunch cause I went back to sleep after the alarm went off).  I love biscuits n' gravy, and the last time I made it I was like I wonder what chorizo gravy would be like.  So, today, arepas n' chorizo gravy!

I made the arepas first with masarepa, water, and some freshly shredded cheddar cheese. I'm pretty sure I posted that process somewhere on here so I didn't take photos of that. 

I roasted half a poblano over the burner, skinned off the burned parts, chopped it and cooked it up with the chorizo.
OC1s5Aq.jpg

After that I added some WW flour, mixed it around in the pan for a few min and added some milk.  I also didn't take pictures of this because I was frying eggs and reheating some cajun rice and beans from last night at the same time. 

I layered the arepas, rice and beans first.
A7lmvnt.jpg

Then topped it with a fried egg
cREmWkT.jpg

And then loaded it up with gravy, some fresh tomato, onion, the other half of the poblano, and more cheddar.  I had an avocado but once I sliced it open I looked best not to use it.  
7nWJXnD.jpg

I'd definitely make this again.  I love arepas and I really don't mind TJ's Soyrizo.  Maybe next time I'd do it more like an eggs benedict though and poach on egg for each arepa.  We'll see. 

I'm kind of getting past the meatless-ness of it on this one ... as it seems there's a lot of goodness going on, there.

Next time I do a TJ's trip (half dozen times a year or so) I'll have to try the soyrizo ...

You could easily do it with regular chorizo, might be even better to be honest, soyrizo isn't nearly as greasy.  But I do think that TJ's makes a decent tasting soyrizo. I still seasoned the gravy, at this point there isn't much that I eat that doesn't have a dusting of powder on it, usually smoked powder.   

It is avery beautiful day. Its a shame im not outside doing something. But Im tired and I just want to hit some drums and get drunk. Work can wait.  Ooh and i want to look at meatless art pieces provided by Rawk.

sicman said:
It is avery beautiful day. Its a shame im not outside doing something. But Im tired and I just want to hit some drums and get drunk. Work can wait.  Ooh and i want to look at meatless art pieces provided by Rawk.

Like this? ;)

Man-Carved-Jointed-Figure-Artist-Model-Wood-Mannequin.jpg

"Quorn"

So the first time I tried this stuff is was the ground beef looking kind.  My dude made tacos with it and it was pretty good.  I grabbed these "chicken cutlets" from the freezer section to see how this stuff could measure up.  I had some spinach in the fridge, so I made a Quorn florentine pasta....

Out of the box they look pretty gross.  They tried to shape them like chicken breasts... 
rh2IB4t.jpg

I let them hit a hot CI for about 30 seconds on each side to thaw it a bit before I seasoned them.  Then cooked them through... In making the pasta I put some veggie broth and wine in the pan to make a sauce and about 2 minutes later I remember it wasn't real chicken and that it would probably get soggy in there.  So I pulled the Quorn from the pan and heated another pan to sear it off again.  I had some chopped up pieces of poblano and tomato I threw in with the spinach, and some fresh garlic.   Grated some parmesan on while it was cooking and again after it came outta the pan.  
ZjHbMy4.jpg

Here's a close up to try and see the Quorn.  I got a spec of super glue on the lens of my camera phone, so the focus on the closer shots is terrible,
URtvCLf.jpg

Conclusion:  I didn't mind the Quorn at all.  Of course it was cooked into a dish that I don't mind anyway... I think it has much more potential than MorningStar or Boca chik'n.  I want to try frying it, or making "wings" with it, but I was thinking maybe the Quorn actually got a burst of flavor from the little bit of simmering in the broth, I don't know how it will taste just being breaded and fried..... Actually I'm pretty sure almost anything breaded and fried is great and with the addition of hot sauce even better.  So bottom line, this looks like it is breaking into my freezer line up. 

Rawkstah said:
Portobella burger with goat cheese,baby arugula, fresno, sauteed onion on a garlic buttered bun. Roasted brussel sprouts on the side.
YTxQEfD.jpg

That might be the most hot blue and righteous post in this thread.

I dig to be digging it A LOT!

Rawkstah said:
Portobella burger with goat cheese,baby arugula, fresno, sauteed onion on a garlic buttered bun. Roasted brussel sprouts on the side.
YTxQEfD.jpg
Looks good minus the tomato! I don't like tomatoes on my burger. speaking of which, that green zebra...i agree, it's not my favorite. I can't eat it raw, must use it in sauce or something. As for the red zebra...it blew into the bay and i couldn't try it =(

BigB said:
Looks good minus the tomato! I don't like tomatoes on my burger. speaking of which, that green zebra...i agree, it's not my favorite. I can't eat it raw, must use it in sauce or something. As for the red zebra...it blew into the bay and i couldn't try it =(
There is no tomato, thats a slice of sauteed onion, with fresno pepper on top.

Chicken/country fried "steak, mashed taters, and collard greens. 
lots of recipes, so If anyone wants details on one of the dishes below, just ask and I'll post it up. 

Made the seitan 2 nights ago, this is the collards, potatoes, and gravy getting ready for prom night.
ltfhg82.jpg

plates, used rice flour on the "steaks" thinking it would hold up with the gravy better.  It was crispy but next time I will do more of a fried chicken breading. 
iaTvJsd.jpg

closer shot
twaxGCb.jpg

the inside, its yellow because I ground up a buncha turmeric into the seitan dough because it'd been around for a while and i didn't want to waste it. 
6Sl0o0f.jpg

taste was actually way beyond what i expected. I'm glad I have some seitan leftover to try breading it a different way.  It will be a repeat customer for sure.  Maybe next time I'll make it buffalo style?  we'll see. Tomorrow I will give ya the recipe. 

Back