• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The THP Compendium of Filipino Cuisine

As a few of you all know that I am an aspiring chef. As I am filipino and for the some of you who are interested in my native cuisine I would like to impart some things that myself and my fellow countrymen know and love, our food.

Here's my first contribution: Filipino Style Shrimp Paste

What it is:

bagoongmango.jpg

bagoong2.jpg

It is an accompaniment in filipino cuisine. One of the few things we hold dearly and something that is very filipino. It is used as an accompaniment and as an ingredient in many local dishes. As seen in the above picture, it's used as a dip for sour / unripe mangos. Great to bring out the flavor of the mango and add a different dimension. For those who love the sour taste of unripened mango.

This is very much similar to the thai version. But this is our version. The kind we have here. There are lots of versions of this accompaniment. Each region of my country has their own version.

This is the popular version that most people have at home.

We call it Bagoong, pronounced as bag-oh-ong. i know it'll sound different for most folks but whatever. =D

please bear in mind, not everyone will like this, not everyone will eat this. and as this is my first contribution to the forum, this first recipe does not make up the whole entirety of filipino food. i'm only bringing the stinkiest one but possibly the most versatile ingredient we have in our cuisine.

The Recipe:

as is in many cuisines, recipes are not inflexible. cook it to your taste, cook it to your liking, and make it your own. =D

a word of warning before I begin, please cook this outdoors or times when people are not home or asleep. lol. Why? this stinks of the highest degree.

this is mostly the generic recipe of the tastiest one:

Bagoong Ingredients:

1/4 kilo of pork trimmings / fat
some lard for flavor
vegetable oil
crushed / minced garlic
small diced red onions
2 pcs. birds eye peppers
2 or 3 roma tomatoes
one kilo of small shrimp/shrimp skins if you can't find any small shrimp

you need the smallest possible shrimp you can find, if possible baby shrimp

Cooking Procedure:

1. crush up the shrimp into a paste, preferably in a pestle and mortar
2. Cook the pork in its own juice until it renders fat and sauté until the meat is brownish.
3. separate the cooked meat to one side and fry the garlic using the pork fat until golden brown.
4. Throw in the onions and tomatoes, and sauté together with the pork until the tomatoes are mashed.
5. Add in the shrimp paste and continue frying over low to medium heat until desired consistency.
6. You may wish to add vinegar, chili and sugar for zest, zing and sweetness.
7. Remove from oil and drain or leave it drenched in pork fat.

sorry, kinda copied and pasted the recipe. =D

you could also leave a bit of the pork bits in but that might make the paste go bad faster. if you wanna drain the concoction of the oil / fat, please remember that this is what preserves it.

storage: leave to cool in a jar or container til room temp. then refrigerate. will last around 2 months in the fridge if done right.

if done right, the smell of the sauteed shrimp paste will not smell too bad and will actually smell pork-ish and slightly fermented shrimp

will add more in the future.

thanks everyone. hope you guys enjoy this.

Very Nice Franz, thanks again for posting the recipe :D, what we have as "Adobo" is simply a seasoning or marinade so i was looking forward to seeing what was considered true Filipino Adobo nice job on the post man, and please enter a throwdown, were not pros we just cook what we thinks taste good, so dont feel intimidated its all in fun

Thanks wm!

If and when i get inspired to cook i will.

No. You cook when we say cook. Now cook!. lol Just kidding Franz. Recipes are looking awesome. I jotted down the adobo recipe. :) Any other awesome pork recipes? Or a recipe for Escabetcheng Lapu-Lapu? :) Hope the hangover wasn't too bad yesterday.

Ok, cool. I'll look around for some. Hehe.

What we had the other night doesnt give bad headaches. U just wake up woozy and drained. Hehe.

recipe request:

1. longanisa
2. spicy lumpia
3. eskabecheng lapu-lapu (filipino spelling)

wiki info:
Called longanisa in the Philippines, the sausages are flavoured with indigenous spices, with each region having its own specialty. Among others, Lucban is known for its garlicky longanizas (derecado); Guagua for its salty, almost sour, longanizas. Longganisang hamonado (Spanish: longaniza jamonada), by contrast, is known for its distinctive sweet taste.

Unlike Spanish chorizo, longganisas can also be made of chicken, beef, or even tuna. Commercial versions are made into links, but homemade sausage may be simple patties.

2796043276_98bc3dc6b0.jpg

not really fond of local longanisa, but there are some local versions that are to die for. =D

still looking around for a really good one.

i do love me my encased meats. i'll make my own recipe one day.

Estimated preparation & cooking time:

1 hour excluding standing and refrigeration time

Longganisa Ingredients:

* 1 kilo ground pork (include the pork fat)
* 1 spoon salt
* 1 spoon brown sugar
* 1 spoon paprika
* 1/4 teaspoon saltpeter (salitre)
* 1/2 teaspoon crushed laurel leaves
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon red peppers, minced (sweet and/or hot of your choice)
* 4 cloves of garlic, crushed then minced
* 1/4 cup vinegar
* 1/8 cup soy sauce
* Sausage casings

Longganisa Cooking Instructions:

* In a big mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except the sausage casings
* Mix well and let stand for an hour
* Tie one end of the sausage casing and slowly fill the casing with the ground pork mixture until the end of the casing, then tie the end
* Tie the middle of the sausage casing in intervals of about 3 inches.
* Keep refrigerated for 2 to 3 days

To cook, boil longganisa in 1/2 cup of water on a pan or wok. Water will soon evaporate then oil will ooze from the longganisa. Fry it on its own oil or add a few tablespoons of cooking oil and continue to cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until the sausage casings turn brownish

finished product:

longanisa.jpg

skinless variation:

Makes 18-20 sausages
Preparation time: 30 mins + 3 hours chilling
Cooking time: 30 mins

Longganisa Ingredients:

* 1 kilo ground pork, 10% fat
* 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
* 1 tablespoon rock salt (or 1 1/2 teaspoon fine salt)
* 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
* 3 tablespoons soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
* 1/2 teaspoon black peper, ground.

Longganisa Cooking Instructions:

* Blend all the above ingredients.
* Roll a small amount of the pork mixture in a 4 1/2 inches x 3 inches wax paper
* Store in the freezer for 3 hours or until ready to cook.

* When ready to cook, heat oil in a wok or frying-pan.
* Unwrap the sausages and fry in batches in hot oil until fully cooked.
* Drain on paper towels.
* Garnish with spring onion, if desired, and served with rice and tomatoes or Garlic-Vinegar Dip.
* These sausages can also be frozen until needed.

SkinlessLongganisa_01b-1.jpg

feel free to change the recipe to your liking, filipino food is an ever changing ever adapting kind of food as is our people.

sorry can't really mess with the classic recipes coz that's how they're done. i'll do my own on a separate thread. on to the next request soon enough....

sorry I've been quite busy with school and life overall.... finally got some free time to do stuff.

requested recipe: Spicy Lumpia

there are many version of Lumpia or commonly known as Spring Rolls. There are Thai inspired versions, Fried Pork versions, and Fried Vegetarian Versions....

Dips also vary....

traditionally the Thai or Fresh Spring Roll version is dipped with a sweet and savory sauce made with sugar, cornstarch, some water, chopped unsalted peanuts, chopped garlic, some salt, a teeny tiny bit of vinegar, and cracked pepper heated up in a pan for a couple minutes til a light brown color

littleongpin-25.jpg

dip for the fried version is usually the Thai Style Sweet and Sour Sauce or Good old regular Banana or Tomato ketchup. Personally I prefer the banana ketchup with this, and this is the only time I would eat anything with banana ketchup, only for this. But that's just my preference.

0.jpg

lumpia_thumb.jpg

dipping sauce for the fried vegetarian version is usually vinegar, some calamansi, bird's eye peppers / siling labuyo, garlic, onions and occasionally some soy sauce.

lumpia+(1)_timestamp.JPG

Here are the common recipes for all three:

001.JPG

Ingredients:

* 1 pound of ground beef or pork (whatever meat you want)
* 1 cup shrimp, chopped
* 1 cup carrots, chopped
* 1 cup green beans, chopped finely
* 1 cup bean sprouts
* 2 cloves of garlic
* 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
* 1 egg, slightly beaten
* 1 tablespoon soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon red crushed pepper
* salt and pepper to taste
* lumpia wrappers
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* vegetable oil for frying

Procedure:

* Saute garlic and onion in a 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the ground beef or pork and stir-fry until the ground meat will turn its color from red to gray.
* Add the carrots and shrimp, then add 1 tablespoon of red crushed pepper. Add soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
* Add the egg, green beans and bean sprouts. Let it cook for 3 minutes. or until golden brown.
* Wrap in lumpia wrapper and dip fry in vegetable oil.

Note: You can dip the spicy lumpia shanghai in sweet and sour sauce or any sauce that you prefer

fresh thai style lumpia

lumpiasariwa.jpg

Lumpia is a delicious and a healthy Filipino appetizer. It actually resembles to the popular Asian dish spring rolls. In Philippines we actually have several versions of this dish, it could be with vegetables, fresh or fried or with meat or fish that is also fried.

Enjoy this fresh Lumpia recipe!

Sariwang Lumpia

Ingredients:

half a cup of sliced cabbage in julienne strips

1 carrot sliced in julienne strips

one cup of bean sprouts

1 small sweet potato sliced in julienne strips

1 onion sliced

2 cloves of garlic minced

10 pieces of prawns boiled, shelled and cut into two lengthwise

half a cup of shrimp broth

1 small block of tofu cut in small cubes

salt

pepper

1 teaspoon of fish sauce

some cooking oil

lettuce

10 pieces of lumpia wrapper

Procedure:

In a pan put the cooking oil, sauté the garlic and onion. Once it has becomes translucent add the vegetables, stir fry for about five minutes add your tofu, salt, fish sauce and pepper. Pour the shrimp stock and cover, let it cook for another five minutes. The vegetables should be a little bit crispy. Drain your vegetables.

Assembling the lumpia:

Lie your lumpia wrapper, put a lettuce leaf, put 1 prawn and scoop your cooked vegetables. Roll it gently one time, then fold the sides then continue rolling to seal it. You can serve it with sweet and spicy peanut sauce.

Mini Vegetable Lumpia with Garlic-Vinegar Dip

2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup green beans, finely sliced
1/2 cup carrots, finely chopped
1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
1 cup bean sprouts
Pepper to taste
Soy sauce to taste
1 tsp. sesame oil
Mini spring roll wrappers
3 Tbsp. water
Oil for frying

In a pan, heat oil medium-hot then add garlic. When garlic is slightly brown, add onions then stir-fry the vegetables until almost done. Season with pepper, soy sauce and sesame oil. Set aside, draining excess liquid. Separate mini spring roll wrappers and cover with damp cloth. Take one wrapper at a time, laying each wrapper on a plate. Place a tablespoon of vegetables on the wrapper, and wrap vegetable mixture firmly, sealing the edge with a little water. Heat oil in a deep frying pan on 'hot' stove setting and fry spring rolls until lightly browned (using a deep fryer is best). Serve hot with garlic-vinegar dip.

Garlic-Vinegar Dip

3 cloves garlic, finely crushed
1/2 cup vinegar of choice
1/8 tsp. ground pepper
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. shallots, finely chopped
1 chili pepper, chopped (optional)

Mix ingredients in a glass bowl and add more vinegar/pepper/salt as required.

Ciao Franz-

Thank you SO much for posting these recipes for some of my very favourite Filipino foods. I also have a recipe request for your favourite Pancit, preferably something your family makes and was handed down (if Mom doesn't mind, of course). Those heirloom recipes are the BEST!

Thanks again,
Julianna

Back