• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

The wait is KILLING ME!!!

A bunch of pods on both my Naga Morich and My Caribbean Red Habs reached their full sizes more than 3 weeks ago.

Every day I get home from work and rush madly straight out the back door and check for any signs of ripening and nothing so far.

Everything still green.

This waiting is killin me!

Can you tell these are my first chile plants ever?

How long do pods usually take to ripen once they reach their full size??

Skyjerk said:
A bunch of pods on both my Naga Morich and My Caribbean Red Habs reached their full sizes more than 3 weeks ago.

Every day I get home from work and rush madly straight out the back door and check for any signs of ripening and nothing so far.

Everything still green.

This waiting is killin me!

Can you tell these are my first chile plants ever?

How long do pods usually take to ripen once they reach their full size??

no worrys Skyjerk my first season to..and im just as inpatient just found my first scotch bonnet pods hehe where mad ;)

talas said:
no worrys Skyjerk my first season to..and im just as inpatient just found my first scotch bonnet pods hehe where mad ;)

Couldnt wait. Cut open an unripe Caribbean and ate half.

Now I have to order new lips.

Might not be ripe yet but plenty freakin hot....

dont worry, I dont think looking everyday at the chile plants is a newbie grower trait, I still do this :lol:.
I think most of us chileheads look everyday because we just want a ripe chile to eat or harvest a bunch for sauce or drying.
believe me the waiting game is killing me too!

How about when you look every day and then realize that there is a ripe one that was hiding from you for probably several days and you just didn't see it? Granted it was only a little Thai, but still it was nice to find a red one. I've sparingly been eating green peppers for a couple weeks now just because I can't wait.

Dude, I do the exact same thing, rush into the backyard, check to see if ripe, if not ripe, eat a green one just to see.:lol:

It's like 95% of my peppers are still green.:(

Good luck with your chiles!

Ozarkrocker said:
Dude, I do the exact same thing, rush into the backyard, check to see if ripe, if not ripe, eat a green one just to see.:lol:

It's like 95% of my peppers are still green.:(

Good luck with your chiles!

Ate a green one myself tonite. Caribbean. Ate a green Naga the other day.

Prolly eat another green Naga tomorrow night or the next.

Not all at once though. I havent worked up the nerve yet to do that.

I eat a chunk and then stagger around for a bit gasping and hiccuping and sweating, and then as soon as it stops I eat another chunk and do it all again, and again.

My wife just laughs at me and says I'm funny.

Bwhaahahahahahaa these stories are all too familiar guys! I think we are all doing the same thing. I too check my garden twice a day, once in the morning and once at night as soon as I get home. Luckily with my assortment of peppers I'm finding at least 2 new red ripe peppers every night and I get to Burn!! So far I've had several Nagas, Caribbeans, and plenty of paper lanterns ripening for me.

Have some patience and don't eat the yucky unripe Green ones, it's worth the wait! :)

Skyjerk said:
Couldnt wait. Cut open an unripe Caribbean and ate half.

Now I have to order new lips.

Might not be ripe yet but plenty freakin hot....

rofl thought you might no wait..and now your paying with having to have plastic surgery to your lips :lol::drooling:

I must really have it bad...I check when I water in the morning....go home for lunch and check then....get home in the evening and check while I am watering...no wonder it takes me 3 hours to water in the evening...I have a 7 pod that has been full size for about 3 weeks and not color turn yet...I couldn't wait for something else superhot to turn red so I ate some slices of a green Dorset Naga...wow...used the rest for salsa and loved it...

you know the first couple of years i DIDN'T DO THIS AT ALL. i do it now lol and i can't believe the patience i had before :|. i just sort of let myself forget about them, course i only had 2 or 3 plants, orange hab, serano, thai and a kung pao in different years, but damn did they just seem like i had ripe pods all the time :| now i only have cayennes that are ripe heh. it makes me feel better that someone else is doing the waiting game with me.

It feels like I've had full sized peppers for a month - I know it's been at least 3 weeks for some of my habs. And still EVERYTHING is green!

teh purple penguins said:
is there a point that you just say fsck it it's getting eaten?? or will they ripen :| now you got me worried lol.

Said that a couple times now and ate green pods. Gonna try to wait for ripe ones before picking anymore though...we'll see :onfire:

I am dying to try a 7 pod and don't know whether I can hold out until it starts turning red or not.....I know this...the first tinge of color I see...it is getting picked...

my problem is i tend to pot up when i am not the soberest. so lol labeling is forgotten. i know what all but 2 are, and i don't know which is 7pot and which is scorpion lol
second problem is neither of the pods really look especially true yet esp since they are... RB? tiddly?

Back