• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

The Weirdest Bhut Jolokia Pods Ever

I don't have pics yet because it's crammed in a corner of my portable greenhouse, but I am growing a Bhut Jolokia from a plant given to me by thepodpiper (Dale).

This plant is producing the wickedest, freakish, wrinkled pods ever. It's some kind of mutant. Pods have fangs almost and weird things shooting out the sides. Others look like long lizards reaching 5" long.

This makes my other super hots look boring in comparison. None have turned color yet. I have to know what color it will ripen as so many other things are unusual about it.

You may recall seeing a pod where you say, "hmmm...how weird." Now imagine a plant producing many of them! I almost touched a pod, but backed away in fear it would eat my finger. lol.

Chris

That's same Bhut Jolokia seed that I'm growing. Head and shoulders above anything else I have in my garden this year.
IMG_0641.jpg

Interesting PRM. I agree. Al the super hots are unusual in their own way, but the variability of this variety is remarkable. My saved seed from CPI's Bhut Jolokia sure didn't produce this offspring!

When I say "weird", they are stranger than those in the picture. I have some normal ones, but quite a few freak pods on the plant.

There must be something about thepodpiper's plants because a brown habanero plant he gave me is just huge now and has more pods by far than anything I'm growing. It's so loaded you pick up a branch and every node has 4-5 pods on it. I'm talking hundreds of pods AND the plant is in soil not too great. OMG!

Chris

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
That's same Bhut Jolokia seed that I'm growing. Head and shoulders above anything else I have in my garden this year.
IMG_0641.jpg

OK IGG, don't say I didn't warn you. No, I don't live next to a nuclear reactor and I don't feed my plants with 2-5,600-8 nutrients. :)

Chris

P1070374.jpg

P1070375.jpg

P1070376.jpg

I was just talking to my hordiculturalist cousin last week about those growths. He said that they've just recently been identified via use of electron microscopes. The growth is called a gowel (sp?) and is caused by a insainly small bacteria and the plant reacts by causing a growth around it. It's not harmful to people, the fruit is safe to eat.

I agree with you, Chris. These ARE the weirdest pods I have ever seen. There's a mutant on my plants now and then, too, but so many on just one plant... just amazing!

Those take the cake for the weirdest mutant pods. What Iggy said about the mutant being caused by a bacteria makes sense because I didn't have a single Bhut Jolokia pods that had anything abnormal, and we have the exact same seed.

cmpman1974 said:
A few more...I will admit the last picture freaks the #### out of me! My Bhut wants to hug me! :)

Chris

P1070377.jpg

P1070378.jpg
Interesting pods. Especially that last one. Looks like a green ghost flying towards you. I guess that makes sense being that they are bhuts.

Back