spirits The Whisky Thread

100-135 bucks for a bottle o' malt? jeez, i remember back when i could get these at 3/4 retail price (around 15-18 GBP) 'cos we printed the boxes...happy days indeed, & a nice wee tipple at christmas time.:lol:

Novacastrian said:
Yeah it went down alright but i would have preferred the peatyness of the lagavulin. Oh well, theres always my birthday! :lol:

Did you taste the Lagavulin 16 when you were at my place??

I have a bottle of Laphroaig 18yo and a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask coming from the distillery.......It was a birthday present to myself...:D and I can't wait....

Yes i do believe that i did try the 16 year old. I would have tried a lot more of them to if i didn't have to drive home too!!

I purchased for my birthday (at a nice little discount), these babies

A bottle of 18 year old Laphroaig at 48%
A bottle of Quarter Cask Laphroaig at 48%

IMG_1319.jpg

The 18 year old is like sex in a glass!!!!! It has lost the really harsh peaty taste and nose of the 10 year and has mellowed to perfection. It would describe it as almost creamy in texture on the tongue. And the after taste is simply devine and lasts much longer than you would expect!!

I am one happy camper :) and I would rank the 18 year old as one of the better single malts now in my collection......I am very much a peat lover!!

I haven't opened the Quarter Cask yet but I have tasted it before so i'm in no rush to open it!!

moyboy said:
I purchased for my birthday (at a nice little discount), these babies

A bottle of 18 year old Laphroaig at 48%
A bottle of Quarter Cask Laphroaig at 48%

IMG_1319.jpg

The 18 year old is like sex in a glass!!!!! It has lost the really harsh peaty taste and nose of the 10 year and has mellowed to perfection. It would describe it as almost creamy in texture on the tongue. And the after taste is simply devine and lasts much longer than you would expect!!

I am one happy camper :) and I would rank the 18 year old as one of the better single malts now in my collection......I am very much a peat lover!!

I haven't opened the Quarter Cask yet but I have tasted it before so i'm in no rush to open it!!

Soooooo jealous right now:(

jura.jpg

Well after eyeing up this for the last few weeks I bought it today, it my festive bottle which means it don't get tasted til christmas day.
I know moyboy has his eyes on a bottle of this!!!!

All I can say is roll on crimbo because it smells devine, it,s such a smooth. Smell with a slight woodyness to it, if it tastes half as good as it smells then I wouldn't grudge paying for another bottle (£25).
I'll let you know how it goes

looks good Dave, i can taste that from here!
alas, i'll be sticking to beer this crimbo...i'm banned from the water of life this year!:(

I think the Jura Stuperstition will be my next bottle.....It goes for about $99 AUD here!!!

Hope it tastes good Dave...

Oh i'm sure it will in fact I'll stick my neck out before tasting and say that it'll make it into fav list just like the standard jura is, on the aroma alone I'd say buy a bottle

Ok folks the superstition has been sampled, and much as I'd like to use words that will get me banned!!!!!! (It is christmas day, just!!!!!)
If you like the standard jura you'll go frikking ape for a bottle of superstition, it's lovely and peaty/smokey but you won't believe how smooth it is, and when I say smooth I mean silk, only problem is it's not exactly priced as an everyday tipple but the way it glides down makes it a very easy tipple.
I could rave about this for hours but I won't, but not only does this make it onto my favourite list I'd say it is now top spot.
MOYBOY YOU NEED THIS, no joke just buy it you will not be disappointed.

I can describe all the subtle hints because I'm ripped (praise spellcheck!!) But I can feel flavour brusting all over the inside of my mouth like fireworks and not one of them is unpleasant (vanilla?? Surely not)

Vanilla.......I would believe it!!!!!

I had a macallen 10 year old at a mates place a few weeks ago and the first thing I said after the first sip was "vanilla" and he just smiled cause he said the same thing!!!

I will most certainly be getting this now!!!!!

I'm drooling just reading your description.....:lol:

I might have to go and pour a nice glass of 27 year old Port ellen (using my rarely used crystal whisky glasses......I only touch this stuff maybe twice a year, but what the hell....it's Christmas!!!!!

Nova.... a bit late but Vintage cellars on Darby Street has a good range also. The Lagavulin is worth getting. My bottle has 10mm left in the bottom and will be getting another in the new year.

Pip, myself and our dad enjoyed a wee dram of the 18 yr laphroig at 9am on xmas day and it was delicious!

I spied a bottle of 15 year at Dans for $135.... thinking seriously about it!. But i have a 1 liter bottle of quater cask :)

moyboy said:
Vanilla.......I would believe it!!!!!

I had a macallen 10 year old at a mates place a few weeks ago and the first thing I said after the first sip was "vanilla" and he just smiled cause he said the same thing!!!

I will most certainly be getting this now!!!!!

I'm drooling just reading your description.....:lol:

I might have to go and pour a nice glass of 27 year old Port ellen (using my rarely used crystal whisky glasses......I only touch this stuff maybe twice a year, but what the hell....it's Christmas!!!!!

mmmmmm...Macallen..I've had the 18 yo. Holy mother of smooth!

Dont know if it has been posted or not but you guys might enjoy this 6 part whisky history on youtube.

[video=youtube;sTHUyu-vXdQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTHUyu-vXdQ[/video]

[video=youtube;LBrzJxZxVR4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBrzJxZxVR4&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;orzRX26nbBg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orzRX26nbBg&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;tvi7j8hQyRU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvi7j8hQyRU&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;hX4myG2BBV0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX4myG2BBV0&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;6snHP5xCI84]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6snHP5xCI84[/video]

After reading through this section I feel like a wine-o LOL i LOVE whiskey as well, but I limit myself to low dollar stuff, cause I can drink alot of it. I bought a 750ml after work yesterday and it is almost gone now. I mix em strong in cola, usually 4-5 shots in a 32-40oz glass, a couple cubes of ice and its on. Favorite whiskey is actually Ten High, I know, cheap ass stuff.

Matt50680 said:
I mix em strong in cola, usually 4-5 shots in a 32-40oz glass, a couple cubes of ice and its on. Favorite whiskey is actually Ten High, I know, cheap ass stuff.
Spoken like a good fellow Iowan! I generally stick to the cheap stuff, because that's mostly what I can afford, but I got a Glenfidditch 15 year for my Birthday and it's only been drank on a few special occasions like my birthday, the Michigan State game, Christmas and the Orange Bowl!

I was lucky to have a nice sized dram of Portellen 30 year old the other day at a mates place. His father died a few months ago and he asked me to come over and tell him if the whishy he was given from his fathers death was good or not....well he showed me a few and they were ok but then he handed me the portellen and I creamed my pants...(almost :lol:)

This stuff is so god damn good it's not funny...This is true liquid gold and them some.

You get the peat taste straight up but it is just a strong hint which is a standard thing with portellen of any age. After the mouth have gotten over the peat hit you get a smooth warm almost cream taste with a strong vinilla taste.

As you may have guessed, I LOVE portellen as it is my favorite whisky in the whole wide worls.....it's just sad that the distillary closed down about 30 year ago!!!!

Back