spirits The Whisky Thread

Picked up this 4 bottle sampler tonight - The Glenmorangie Collection (four 100 ml bottles)

IMG_5508.jpg

IMG_5498.jpg

looking good hophead!!!!!

I have the Quinta Ruban and the Nectar D'or and they are a lovely drop....I'm looking forward to getting a bottle of the Sherry cask "Lasanta"....

Dunno how you guys can keep bottles!!!!! I mean my bottle of jura superstition lasted a grand total of 4 days (and that was me going easy on it) a good drop just don't survive long in my hands!

I saw this document about scotch whiskies and there was this "whiskeywizard" who said that whiskies oxidize the same way as wines do but it just takes longer time. If found a forgotten bottle of Bowmore enigma 12 y.o that i had bought last october and there was only 2 inches left at the bottom. I really didnt notice any difference in its flavor. Has someone noticed any kind of change in the taste of a forgotten bottle? Im just wondering how much time it might take. Oh, and i really can recommend this 12 y.o bowmore enigma to every friend of whiskies. It has very smoky and soft islay flavor. Probably my favourite at this time.

Had this turn up in the mail today.

Ooooooo it smells nice...... i havnt tried it yet but WOW it smells good!

Very hard to find this stuff.

I have my eye on a bottle of 26 year...... will see how much cash i have in a month or so :)

Im thinking this smells better than my bottle of 25 year port ellen and its not even 12 year old!

Edit: No fancy pics on the label.... simple and understated. A good indication of something special on the inside :)

CaolIlalabel.jpg

CaolIlaalc.jpg

Oh WOW

Poured a dram. Super pale........ almost no colour at all. But massive aroma of peatsmoke and lemon.

added a cube of ice and it just changed and changed again. constant flavour trasitions. Smoke, lemon, mint, then bourbon in the background, then classic single malt flavours metled in with all of the above.

This stuff is a serious ride for the tastebuds.

very different to anything else i have on the shelf and a very welcome addition to the colection!

I am a Talisker/Oban kind of guy. I've tried many types of single malt but navigate towards Talisker. Something about the heavy peat flavour that lingers on my palate, plus its less expensive $55/bottle versus $75 for Oban.
Don't really care much for American bourbon - guess if it was all I had in my backyard it would be my favourite but then we have our Canadian whisky, many Canucks call whisky "Rye" and we spell it without the "e".
But, Brandy is my drink, start having a nip at 5:00pm everyday. Remy brand.

Hey tony I know where you are at with th caol ila I had a bottle a while back, but must have been a different vintage cos mine was only around the 40% mark, and peat is the first thing that hits you for sure bloody nice drop,
But the holiday bottle of jura superstition I had beat it on smoothness

I think you'd go ape for jura superstition, believe me get a bottle onto your to drink list!!!!!

tony05 said:
Oh WOW

Poured a dram. Super pale........ almost no colour at all. But massive aroma of peatsmoke and lemon.

added a cube of ice and it just changed and changed again. constant flavour trasitions. Smoke, lemon, mint, then bourbon in the background, then classic single malt flavours metled in with all of the above.

This stuff is a serious ride for the tastebuds.

very different to anything else i have on the shelf and a very welcome addition to the colection!

Thanks for the post, I'll have to see if they carry that here. Sounds wonderful.

I'm currently sipping some very fine Edradour straight from the cask Sassicia finish, a good way to make up for being banned from the living room due to the "girls night".

Yesterday, I picked up a 75cl. bottle of Wild Turkey straight rye. It wasn't the most high end whiskey ever, but still fantastic.

Picked up a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 y/o single malt scotch. Soft, sweet, fruity. Hell, as I swish it around on my tongue, it's actually creamy... nice.

Knob Creek straight bourbon. Aged 9 years, 100 proof.

Sweet, but sharp. I can pick out a lot of the rye behind the corn. Very hot, as it's 50% abv.

I used to work in a Liquor store and got to take part in taste test and samplings. One whiskey that really stood out to me was The Famous Grouse. It is extremely easy on eht wallet, the 1.75 ltr here is only $25.00 US, and the taste is surprisingly close to Glenfiddich. I took part in a taste test between the regular Grouse and Glenfiddich 12 year and Chivas. The Chivas tasted like s**t next the these other 2 and it was hard to tell the difference between them. So I now have a standard whiskey that when I serve it at party’s I’m often asked why I wasting my good stuff. If you haven’t tried it you really need to and if you like the more peaty ones then try the Black grouse.

1363.jpg

{img]http://www.frazierswine.co.uk/product_images/t/397/The_Black_Grouse_Blended_Scotch_Whisky__43416_zoom.jpg[/img]

ok so mc'clellands islay (5yo bowmore)
auchentoshan 12
bowmore 12
bowmore 15
bowmore 18
craigamore 12
talisker 10
lagavulin 16
and my fav laphroaig quarter cask

and canaian whisky forty creek

can you tell im a peat head?

Back