• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

The Year of the Spider continues...

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/09/12/0912web.html

Spider families spun massive insect buffet together

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Wednesday, September 12, 2007

WILLS POINT — A variety of spider species built on one another's work to create a sprawling web that blanketed hundreds of yards of trees and shrubs at a North Texas park, according to entomologists who studied the unusual formation.

Heavy rains early this summer created prime feeding conditions for the spiders, which worked collectively to spin a web that nearly covered a pond ripe with mosquitoes and other insects.

"Normally, they are cannibalistic, and their webs are separated," said Allen Dean, a Texas A&M University entomologist. In this case, "they live in harmony because there's so much food available."

The web covered 200 yards along a trail at Lake Tawakoni State Park, about 45 miles east of Dallas.

The August discovery of the massive web spurred debate among entomologists about its origin and rarity.

Mike Quinn, a biologist for the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, collected spiders from the trees and sent them to Texas A&M.

Dean studied 250 specimens and identified 12 families of spiders in the same web. He said the most prevalent is from the Tetragnathidae family, which typically weave individual orb-shaped webs.

Arachnid expert Hank Guarisco of Fort Hays State University in Hays, Kan., came to Texas to take a look. He camped at the park, observing the spiders at night because some of them are nocturnal. He said he was impressed with the variety of spiders contributing to the web.

"Tetragnathidae are usually solitary spiders who build their own webs and mind their own business," he said. "Here, they are sharing a lot of foundation strands that are all over the place."

Heavy rains and winds have weighted or torn down much of the web, park volunteers said. Researchers said the spiders are still weaving fresh webs between storms.

Quinn said there continue to be lots of egg sacs, which can hold dozens or hundreds of eggs.

"The females are fat and happy," Quinn said. "They have done well so far by laying so many eggs that the spiders continue to prosper.

i read about this and saw a clip on the news.. pretty crazy, would've loved to see it.

the part that i like is that there were several different species..strange. i'd have guessed it was all just one kind.

Male tarantulas are the prowl here looking for mates. I haven't run across any, yet...but I'll let you know if I see one.

nice! they're all Aphonopelma (genus name) in the states. typically underrated group..mostly cause of their (generally) brownish colorations..they are very nice looking when you take the time to look at them though.

i had a few mature males, and they were almost always on the hunt heh. didn't eat as regularly as they used to either.

sadly, their time is limited. after their "ultimate" molt, they live about a year to two years..give or take. then their time is up. rarely, they'll molt again..but most of the time it doesn't work out right and they die in the process.

last spider tidbit (for now :lol: ) is that the males are easy to spot because of their generally smaller bodies, which makes their legs seem longer..but most notably, they have bulbs on their pedipalps (palps for short..the leglike appendages flanking the mouth), and MOST have hooks on the front pair of legs..not all have the hooks which makes for some hairy situations during mating. that's cause they use the hooks to push back the females fangs which gives them access too where they have to stick the bulbs.

IMG_4750s.jpg

i miss my spiders. :P

chuk hell said:

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/09/12/0912web.html

Spider families spun massive insect buffet together

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Wednesday, September 12, 2007

WILLS POINT — A variety of spider species built on one another's work to create a sprawling web that blanketed hundreds of yards of trees and shrubs at a North Texas park, according to entomologists who studied the unusual formation.

Heavy rains early this summer created prime feeding conditions for the spiders, which worked collectively to spin a web that nearly covered a pond ripe with mosquitoes and other insects.

"Normally, they are cannibalistic, and their webs are separated," said Allen Dean, a Texas A&M University entomologist. In this case, "they live in harmony because there's so much food available."

The web covered 200 yards along a trail at Lake Tawakoni State Park, about 45 miles east of Dallas.

The August discovery of the massive web spurred debate among entomologists about its origin and rarity.

Mike Quinn, a biologist for the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, collected spiders from the trees and sent them to Texas A&M.

Dean studied 250 specimens and identified 12 families of spiders in the same web. He said the most prevalent is from the Tetragnathidae family, which typically weave individual orb-shaped webs.

Arachnid expert Hank Guarisco of Fort Hays State University in Hays, Kan., came to Texas to take a look. He camped at the park, observing the spiders at night because some of them are nocturnal. He said he was impressed with the variety of spiders contributing to the web.

"Tetragnathidae are usually solitary spiders who build their own webs and mind their own business," he said. "Here, they are sharing a lot of foundation strands that are all over the place."

Heavy rains and winds have weighted or torn down much of the web, park volunteers said. Researchers said the spiders are still weaving fresh webs between storms.

Quinn said there continue to be lots of egg sacs, which can hold dozens or hundreds of eggs.

"The females are fat and happy," Quinn said. "They have done well so far by laying so many eggs that the spiders continue to prosper.

VERY COOL STUFF!!!!!

Back