• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting TheGreenChileMonster Ferments Some Sauce

Last November, right before a frost, I pulled all of the rocoto pods off of my plants. I then made a mash with rocoto pods and salt only.

Attachments

• 20171019_092446.jpg
    20171019_092446.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 20171019_092504.jpg
    20171019_092504.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 20171019_092547.jpg
    20171019_092547.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 120
The Hot Pepper said:
^
That's called rot lol!
If the peppers you grow rot in your fridge in one week I would recommend you buy a new fridge :P . Where does someone who doesn't have a kitchen keep their fridge anyway?  :rofl:

Thegreenchilemonster said:
GIP was saying you make a killer strawberry rocoto sauce. I don't expect you to share your recipe, but do you ferment the strawberries and rocotos, or add them fresh when making the sauce? I have a freezer full of ripe de seeded Pubescens ready for the Winter, and I wanted to give a strawberry rocoto sauce a shot.
I've only ever made it once and GIP actually got more of it than I did.   :rofl:

It wasn't a fermented sauce, all the ingredients were fresh and I even hand picked the strawberries myself  :P . From memory it was more strawberries than Rocoto's, something like 2/3 strawberries to 1/3 Rocoto's (you can adjust this to your preference), ACV, some orange and lemon juice, and heaps of sugar. Think of it as a smooth, liquid jelly/jam.

I'm not a huge fan of heat with sweets or deserts, it's something I'm not accustomed to. There were quite a few people that really enjoyed it, just not my personal taste I guess.

SR. 

Shorerider said:
If the peppers you grow rot in your fridge in one week I would recommend you buy a new fridge :P . Where does someone who doesn't have a kitchen keep their fridge anyway?  :rofl:

I've only ever made it once and GIP actually got more of it than I did.   :rofl:

It wasn't a fermented sauce, all the ingredients were fresh and I even hand picked the strawberries myself  :P . From memory it was more strawberries than Rocoto's, something like 2/3 strawberries to 1/3 Rocoto's (you can adjust this to your preference), ACV, some orange and lemon juice, and heaps of sugar. Think of it as a smooth, liquid jelly/jam.

I'm not a huge fan of heat with sweets or deserts, it's something I'm not accustomed to. There were quite a few people that really enjoyed it, just not my personal taste I guess.

SR. 
Thanks for sharing! That seems pretty similar to a jelly, except without the pectin. I'll definitely be giving it a shot.

MikeUSMC said:
What can I say? I still don't have my own Pubes :mope:

J/K :rofl: TGCM did send me a shit ton of seeds though (and pods and jelly!) Some "bullet proof" Pubescens varieties I'm looking forward to trying to grow next year. :pray:

I tried Rocotos and Orange Manzanos here last year, and the Summer was just too hot
All of the Pubescens seed varieties I sent you are very productive, and will definitely give you pods here in the NE.

I haven't had any luck growing manzanos here, though. The plants get huge, but I only get a handful of pods from them. I've grown both the red and orange varieties, but they don't seem to like my climate at all.

It's interesting since the rest of my Pubescens plants will get so weighed down with pods I have to stake them, and tie the branches up to support the weight.

There are definitely some rocoto arequipeño pods amongst all of those pods. I grew at least 10 different Pubescens varieties last year, and that is a mix of a bunch of different cultivars.

Here is a pic of some Pubescens I picked from my garden this afternoon. The larger red rocotos on the right side of the pile of Pubes, that kind of look like tomatoes, are rocoto arequipeños.

Attachments

• 20171022_154354.jpg
    20171022_154354.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 72
Wow after reading your first post it occurred to me that fermenting a pepper mash doesn't actually require the addition of water. For some reason I've always purree'd peppers and poured salt water brine over them when bottling it. I thought if air contacted the mash it could aid bacteria growth? I guess with the proper salt content it doesn't? 

Would you be willing to share what quantity of salt you combine with what quantity of peppers? Thanks

Back