• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TheGreenChileMonster's 2017 GLOG

Now that it is almost time to plant out, I figured I'd start up my GLOG for the year. I've cut out almost all superhots this year, and am growing solely peppers I regularly cook with. Here is a link to my glog last year:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/60119-thegreenchilemonsters-2016-grow/

I did a good job documenting my grow last season, but I plan to give more regular updates this year. I'm growing more veggies this year too, so I needed to free up some space in my garden. Here is the list for the year. All of these are either OW plants or well established seedlings.

Aji Limo
Aji Mochero
Aji Amarillo
Aji Pacay
Aji Arnaucho
Aji Dulce
Aji Largo (Pubescens)
Aji Oro (Pubescens)
Rocoto Rojo Arequipeño
Rocoto Oculto
Red Peruvian Rocoto
Giant Red Rocoto
Giant Yellow Rocoto
Rocoto Peru Cusco
Mini Red Rocoto
Large Red Rocoto
Turbo Pube
Guatemalan Red Rocoto
Carolina Reaper

I'll start posting pics and updates as soon as I start planting out over the next few weeks. There may also be some veggie and home brew pics in this GLOG throughout the season.

I see things are going really well up your way. Lots of loaded down plants!

I can this about the Aji Oro's, and it being bulletproof. If they can set pods here in temps above 95° AND have flowers on the plant when it's been 100° for 11 straight days....I feel anyone can grow them when it's a bit warm out. ;)

It's certainly worth giving a try!

Malarky said:
how many Giant pods do you typically harvest off 1 plant?
I'd say each of my giant yellow rocoto plants have a good 20-25 pods on them. They are flowering like crazy right now though, and the nights have dropped to the 60s, so I'm expecting them to get really loaded up with pods for a mid September harvest.

I have three giant yellow rocotos in 10 gallon root pouches, so they have plenty of space to spread out their roots.

Devv said:
I see things are going really well up your way. Lots of loaded down plants!

I can this about the Aji Oro's, and it being bulletproof. If they can set pods here in temps above 95° AND have flowers on the plant when it's been 100° for 11 straight days....I feel anyone can grow them when it's a bit warm out. ;)

It's certainly worth giving a try!

I agree, aji oro is a beast of a Pubescens. The best part is that the pods are super juicy, and taste amazing!

I still have a full ziploc of them frozen from last year, that I haven't got to yet, despite using them for sauces, jelliess, and marinades all Winter and Spring.

Great to see color showing up, Dale!

I'm with you on the Peruvian Red rococo.  It's the only variety
that consistently produces for me here in the Tualatin Valley.
Starting to see color in them as we speak.

Keep nailing it to the wall, buddy!

PaulG said:
Great to see color showing up, Dale!

I'm with you on the Peruvian Red rococo.  It's the only variety
that consistently produces for me here in the Tualatin Valley.
Starting to see color in them as we speak.

Keep nailing it to the wall, buddy!
Thanks man! Peruvian red rocotos are some of my favorite all time peppers, due to the epic flavor and heat profile. It's no surprise that they have been cultivating them for thousands of years in that area of the world.

Glad to hear that you are starting to see some color in your rocoto as well!

Aji largo (Pubescens)

Attachments

• 20170802_203812.jpg
    20170802_203812.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 60
Finally getting an aji limo pod starting to ripen up. The one in the bottom right that is now light green, and starting to change colors is the ripening pod. The other dark purple pods are just in their second color phase during growth. They turn light green after being dark purple, then yelowish, then orange, followed by a dark red.

Attachments

• 20170807_204630.jpg
    20170807_204630.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 61
One of my aji arnaucho plants doing it's thing. These pods taste very similar to aji limo, except a bit milder, and more earthy. They taste fantastic. It's a damn good Chinense, and such a peacock in terms of color changes while ripening.

Attachments

• 20170807_205326.jpg
    20170807_205326.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 64
Wow! Great grow! Nice aji mocheto. I see big jims behind the mini rocoto.

Back