• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TheGreenChileMonster's 2017 GLOG

Now that it is almost time to plant out, I figured I'd start up my GLOG for the year. I've cut out almost all superhots this year, and am growing solely peppers I regularly cook with. Here is a link to my glog last year:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/60119-thegreenchilemonsters-2016-grow/

I did a good job documenting my grow last season, but I plan to give more regular updates this year. I'm growing more veggies this year too, so I needed to free up some space in my garden. Here is the list for the year. All of these are either OW plants or well established seedlings.

Aji Limo
Aji Mochero
Aji Amarillo
Aji Pacay
Aji Arnaucho
Aji Dulce
Aji Largo (Pubescens)
Aji Oro (Pubescens)
Rocoto Rojo Arequipeño
Rocoto Oculto
Red Peruvian Rocoto
Giant Red Rocoto
Giant Yellow Rocoto
Rocoto Peru Cusco
Mini Red Rocoto
Large Red Rocoto
Turbo Pube
Guatemalan Red Rocoto
Carolina Reaper

I'll start posting pics and updates as soon as I start planting out over the next few weeks. There may also be some veggie and home brew pics in this GLOG throughout the season.

Nice pics Dale! You are the "Pube-Meister" for sure! Nice that you got a shot of cooler weather, but we could definitely use more warmth here. We only got a few days of 90 degree weather back in May, and it's been in the 70s and 80s since then. It took a while to get the Aji Oro plant here "dialed in" in its airpot, but it's greening up and beginning to flower again. The flavor of the pods was good, but I was a bit disappointed with the heat... I couldn't detect much of any. Could that be due to the cool weather we've been having this summer?

Thegreenchilemonster said:
That's weird that your aji oro pods aren't putting off any heat. Every one of them I've grown have had a nice lick of heat to them. I sent you some fresh aji oro pods last year, right?

I suppose it could be the weather that's causing them not to produce capsaicin. That's very interesting though.
Yup... The seeds came from your pods sent last year. The shape is also a little off... The size and color are right, but the pods don't pinch in at the top and swell out again at the shoulder. They sorta look like jellybeans. No worries though... They'll make an excellent flavor addition to this year's powder blend. [emoji2] [emoji106]
SANY2506.JPG

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

That weather forecast looks like heaven for me right now!

And my Aji Oros definitely have some heat to them.  They look different from yours, Stickman.  A little bigger, rounder, but kind of flattened in on two sides.  But, I looked up the Aji Oro on pepperlover's site, and it looks very different from that one also.  Hers are huge compared to mine.  Still, it's a great pepper, and my first homegrown pubescens!

And while I'm here...many times I see most pubes being called Rocotos, or they're classified either as Rocotos or Manzanos, it seems.  Does the term Rocoto cover all capsicum pubescens?  Or is it a regional thing?

garden is looking great Dale  :clap:
Aji arnaucho going through a nice range of colors while ripening.
:confused:    :think:  maybe i should stop calling my plants Aji Arnaucho...

I got seeds from you, but mine don't look like that. they look like this;
ZZYkG7C.jpg

and they ripen like this
QBDcUgP.jpg

the flower
nfpHm4E.jpg

hmmm whatever i'm growing, i like em a lot!  and decided to grow them again  (but what should i be calling it? NOT-Aji Arnaucho?)

Peach Trini Scorp i got from you is doing well also  :metal:

thanks again for the seeds
if you see anything in my glog you'd like seeds for let me know 

:cheers:

Yeah, the ones I'm growing this year are the true aji arnaucho.

IDK what the one you are growing should actually be called, but the seeds came from a market in Peru. My friends mom lives in Lima, and brought me a bunch of seeds she took out of some peppers she got at the local market there. She wrapped the seeds up in napkins when she brought them over, but didn't label them. I had asked her to source me pipi de mono, aji arnaucho, aji cacha de cabra, aji mochero, and any rocoto varieties she could find. She wasn't able to find aji cacha de cabra or aji mochero, but she brought me the rest. The rocoto seeds were obvious to identify, since they were black, but since she didn't label the rest, but told me what they were as she handed the napkins to me, there must have been a mix up, lol! The aji charapita and rocotos definitely grew true for me last Summer.

The "aji arnaucho" you are growing look exactly like the ones I grew last year. They have pretty tough skin, ripen green to red, and are very spicy.

Yeah, the ones I'm growing this year are the true aji arnaucho.

IDK what the one you are growing should actually be called, but the seeds came from a market in Peru. My friends mom lives in Lima, and brought me a bunch of seeds she took out of some peppers she got at the local market there. She wrapped the seeds up in napkins when she brought them over, but didn't label them. I had asked her to source me pipi de mono, aji arnaucho, aji cacha de cabra, aji mochero, and any rocoto varieties she could find. She wasn't able to find aji cacha de cabra or aji mochero, but she brought me the rest. The rocoto seeds were obvious to identify, since they were black, but since she didn't label the rest, but told me what they were as she handed the napkins to me, there must have been a mix up, lol! The aji charapita and rocotos definitely grew true for me last Summer.

The "aji arnaucho" you are growing look exactly like the ones I grew last year. They have pretty tough skin, ripen green to red, and are very spicy.
Thank you
Well whatever they should properly be called, they are delicious. and got some Heat to them too, more than i was initially expecting :D
 The pipi de mono i had overwintered got neglected and didnt make it :( but i think ive still got seeds from what you sent and will grow it out again next year.

Thanks again :)

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
Thank you
Well whatever they should properly be called, they are delicious. and got some Heat to them too, more than i was initially expecting :D
 The pipi de mono i had overwintered got neglected and didnt make it :( but i think ive still got seeds from what you sent and will grow it out again next year.

Thanks again :)
Yeah they are delicious! The heat level on them is surprisingly high. I can send some pics over to my friend of the pods, so he can ask his mom what they are supposed to be called.

Bhuter said:
Very nice, quick haul! Your pods always have fantastic colors. They all look pretty darn tasty. You certainly know your stuff. Awesome job!
Thanks! I have some new Pube varieties in my garden this year that I can't wait to try. The giant yellow rocoto pods are looking pretty tasty. I can't wait to have some ripe ones to stuff with meat and cheese.

Back