• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

ThePepperGrowingMan's 2010 Grow Log

ThePepperGrowingMan's 2010 Grow Log

Put the seeds in the dirt today. Trying to get a total of about 30 plants across 9 types. Ordered all my seeds from pepperjoe.com this year. Assuming some will die.

Here's the list:
Hot Banana
Long Red Slim
Charleston Hot
Turkish Cayenne
Hot Caribbean
Atomic Starfish
Tabago Seasoning
Giant Jolokia
Scotch Bonnet

Here's where they will live (hopefully) over the next few months:
IMG_2842_s.jpg
IMG_2843_s.jpg

The larger plants on the right are my overwintered Jolokias. Grow On!

Fine pile of pods. Those Bhuts are beauts. :)

Man I'll echo SS's comments. Love the choco's too.

You've had an awesome year so far mate. God luck with the clones!

Jas

Thanks guys. Clones are all still alive and I'm starting to see roots :)

you neighbor must be one cool mofo.

He's kind of an a**hole. Weird his name is Pat too... :rofl:

Here's the Friday night harvest:

IMG_3419.jpg

can you please tell me what the ones on the upper left are (kind of look like a pattypan squash)? i ended up growing these (i think) this year and don't know what they were. thanks.

can you please tell me what the ones on the upper left are (kind of look like a pattypan squash)? i ended up growing these (i think) this year and don't know what they were. thanks.

Jamaican yellow. they don't have any heat worth mentioning. made a powder mix with one of them (mixed with red jolokia) and it's not bad. don't think i will grow it again next year though.

Here's my jump on 2011. Took cuttings of my bhuts (including a chocolate) and am going to grow them in dwc over the winter. before last frost at the start of next season i'll take clones from my overwintered clones to plant out. or at least that's the plan...

IMG_3439.jpg

IMG_3437.jpg

very very interesting. I would be following your progress .

Can you describe the process in detail please?

Sure, here's what I'm doing. Keep in mind this is my first time doing this so no idea if it will work and I'm sure I'll learn a lot along the way.

I took cuttings from 4 of my outdoor plants - 2 giant bhut jolokias, 1 bhut jolokia (2nd year plant that had been overwintered) and 1 chocolate jolokia. Pictures of all of these peppers are in this thread. I put each cutting into my cloning bucket to get them started:

IMG_3439.jpg

After the roots get going (100% success on this round) plan to move each plant to it's own dwc bucket. I moved the 2nd year bhut jolokia yesterday, it was my first:

IMG_3524.jpg

Right now I juts have both buckets under my small T5.

IMG_3522.jpg

After I get all 4 moved to their own buckets I will move them under my large T5 Bank (soon to be 2 or 3 4x4 fixtures) and grow them over the winter. About 4 - 6 weeks before plant out next year I will take new cuttings from the plants grown in dwc buckets and clone them in dirt and will them move them all outside to the garden mid May. If all goes as planned I should get 10 - 20 clones for my garden next year from some of my best plants this year. Nor surprises and no genetically weak plants.

The pepper gods have smiled on northern IL...we've been having daytime temps in the mid/upper 70's...might have even broke 80 a few times. A lot of peppers i figured would end up in the compost pile are actually ripening. They are runts compared to earlier harvests but peppers are peppers...

I picked these Thursday night:

IMG_3545.jpg

Fine pickin's. Keep it up, it hit the mid nineties here today; fooking weird weather this season.

Thank you and yea the weather has been crazy. started getting warm about a month early around here and now it's going to stay decent 4 - 6 weeks longer than normal. 10 day for around here shows all nights above 32 and all days above 60. not "perfect" weather but it'll keep things ripening. at the rate it's going i might actually get another 1 - 2 semi-decent harvests :woohoo:

Back