• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Things that do not go well with peppers...

Thought it'd be a fun idea to write about what I've tried that does not go well with peppers.

This morning I put one of those dried peppers that they use in Kung Pao dishes in my coffee mug, just to see if I could get a coffee with a little spice in it. It sure did have some spice...but totally wrong for coffee.

Yeah, chili pepper in the eyes isn't fun. Last time I experienced that pleasure is when I was deseeding a bunch of hot peppers. A week after seeding, I brought the deseeding knife into the kitchen bare handed. Then I rubbed my right eye... within moments my eye was on fire.

Yeah, chili pepper in the eyes isn't fun. Last time I experienced that pleasure is when I was deseeding a bunch of hot peppers. A week after seeding, I brought the deseeding knife into the kitchen bare handed. Then I rubbed my right eye... within moments my eye was on fire.
? What did you wash it with? And what type of handle does it have? I use a metal-handled knife, wash it with Dawn, and never have issues after it's washed.

? What did you wash it with? And what type of handle does it have? I use a metal-handled knife, wash it with Dawn, and never have issues after it's washed.
This knife has a plastic handle - a Henkle knife. The knife wasn't washed yet when I touched it with my bare hand - it had been in my office for a week because I forgot it was there. :lol: Hadn't had any problems after washing it with a standard dish washing soap.

I would think those would go well with the right chile - what did you try them with?
I haven't tried peppers with Ding Dongs... just seems to not go well when I think about it. :lol: If I were to try it which I probably will sometime, I would probably try it with red savanna or fatali chili pepper.

I haven't tried peppers with Ding Dongs... just seems to not go well when I think about it. :lol: If I were to try it which I probably will sometime, I would probably try it with red savanna or fatali chili pepper.
Haven't done fatalii with chocolate yet.... definitely on my list of things to try.... half o' one left from earlier this eve, think I'll do that right now!

Well, sad to report it's not my fav mix - fatalii and Ghiradelli Midnight.

my innards don't agree with peppers, but i wait it out. lol. a torturous ordeal in the toilet. all for that capsaicin high.

Well, sad to report it's not my fav mix - fatalii and Ghiradelli Midnight.
What was it like? I had a thought - you know how you can get deep fried twinkles, pickles, etc? Well, how about making the deep fry batter with some chopped chilis? I bet that would be pretty good.

What was it like? I had a thought - you know how you can get deep fried twinkles, pickles, etc? Well, how about making the deep fry batter with some chopped chilis? I bet that would be pretty good.
??? You haven't already done that??? Catfish fried with corn batter, chopped chiles, chili powder, cayenne powder, oregano, paprika, garlic, sea salt, the right basil..... The catfish is not sweet, but that's some mighty fine eatin' there!

Possibly if I had mixed the dark choco and fatalii into something like brownie mix, it might have worked better. But also, I'm not a huge Ghiradelli fan - Godiva is much better, IMO, as Ghiradelli seems to have more wax in it. So that may have had something to do with it. Hmm. Maybe I'll take the easy route and just go pick up some brownies and slap some fatalii puree on them, to see if that at least seems to have hope. But also, note I used yellow fatalii - red might have made a diff, too.

??? You haven't already done that??? Catfish fried with corn batter, chopped chiles, chili powder, cayenne powder, oregano, paprika, garlic, sea salt, the right basil..... The catfish is not sweet, but that's some mighty fine eatin' there!

That does sound like some good eatin'! Nope, haven't tried chilis in batter yet - I usually use a lot of hot chili sauce when I make things, or I chop up some peppers and put on top of meats, hamburgers, etc.

Possibly if I had mixed the dark choco and fatalii into something like brownie mix, it might have worked better. But also, I'm not a huge Ghiradelli fan - Godiva is much better, IMO, as Ghiradelli seems to have more wax in it. So that may have had something to do with it. Hmm. Maybe I'll take the easy route and just go pick up some brownies and slap some fatalii puree on them, to see if that at least seems to have hope. But also, note I used yellow fatalii - red might have made a diff, too.

Godiva is a great chocolate! I also love Sees chocolates, and locally made (Fremont, WA) Theos chocolates.

Yummy, Sees candy. Godiva, you have expensive tastes.
Agreed. But I actually don't eat much chocolate at all, so when I do get it, I usually go for the good stuff. There's a shop in DC that imports from Belgium, which is the absolutest bestest ever. If there's any wax in those at all, you really can't tell, they're so amazingly creamy.

Of course, those are strictly for eating straight-up IMO - don't need to go all out if you're cooking with it.

(Yeah, I know those aren't technically words in the dictionary, but they work!)

Back