• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

This drives me nuts

16.jpg

Habañero. On a nationally distributed product that is for sale all over the country, they probably produce millions of bags of these. :banghead: I just emailed them about their spelling mistake. Let's see what they have to say. :lol:

These chips are pretty tasty though. :oops:

Nice find!!

It is sometimes misspelled (and mispronounced) habañero—the diacritical mark being added as a hyperforeignism.[1][2]

Avon B....
seeing your post reminded me of a news story I heard a while back...
A Man, A Plan And A Sharpie: 'The Great Typo Hunt'
About a couple of guys who go around correcting mistakes (at least attempting to do so)

You ought to check it out...I think you'll appreciate it also.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129086941

CM

There's a big difference in Spanish between an ene and an enye (with tilde).

I'm with Tyler, this is a stupid mistake.

It's one thing to hear a normal person that doesn't (and maybe shouldn't) know any better pronounce it or spell it that way, but when it's pronounced that way on the Food Network by an accomplished chef, or written that way on a product at the grocery store or in a major newspaper article, that is a little ridiculous. I've even seen restaurants with Habañero in the title and on their signs and shirts. :eek:

Habaneros-medford-logo.jpg

Pinches gringos.

Picard_Facepalm_by_LuckyHRE.gif

Avon B....
seeing your post reminded me of a news story I heard a while back...
A Man, A Plan And A Sharpie: 'The Great Typo Hunt'
About a couple of guys who go around correcting mistakes (at least attempting to do so)

You ought to check it out...I think you'll appreciate it also.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129086941

CM

I've seen that, that's pretty funny. It really amazes me how many mistakes there are in newspaper articles, especially the ones online, and even on the news tickers on TV. MSNBC is especially bad. One day they had a headline on the ticker that read "Study find that hospital mistakes effect 1 in 4 Americans". I checked back about 6 hours later and it was still there. Not one single person in the newsroom caught that? How am I supposed to take a news organization seriously if they don't even know the difference between affect and effect? This is the national news, not Facebook.

I actually got a reply, from a real person, surprisingly. "Thanks for contacting us and making us aware of the spelling. I will definitely pass on the word." :D. From an "Executive Assisant", probably an intern or something I'm guessing, but that's cool that someone actually replied instead of an automated message. :)

Nice find!!

It is sometimes misspelled (and mispronounced) habañero—the diacritical mark being added as a hyperforeignism.[1][2]

Dude, I can't thank you enough for that...It's a thing that has chapped my ass for years, and there's a name for it? YEAH!

I'm pretty sure our dear old pal Dave DeWitt :lol: even pronounces Habanero the hyperforeign way in one of those NMSU educational podcasts. I could be wrong.

It's ironic that Wikipedia uses our very example to illustrate the concept:

A hyperforeignism is a non-standard language form resulting from an unsuccessful attempt to apply the rules of a foreign language to a loan word (for example, the application of the rules of one language to a word borrowed from another), or occasionally to a word believed to be a loan word. The result reflects "neither the ... rules of English nor those of the language from which the word in question comes."[1] For example, "habanero" is sometimes spelled or pronounced with a tilde (*habañero), which is not the correct Spanish form from which the English word was borrowed. This error is perhaps influenced by the correct pronunciation of another common pepper with a Spanish-origin name, jalapeño.[2][3][unreliable source?]

wow, i carried a Spanish common phrase card for 26 years, it had on it "raise your hands, dont move, open the door its the police. which way did he go. do you need an ambulance, etc". It did not have habanero on it. i looked at the package in the first post trying to spot the misspell. it looked A-ok to me. I knew i should have paid more attention in school to the teacher. thanks for the lesson i will be on the look out for that in the future. We dont just meet nice people and get growing tips on this forum, we get language lessons as well.(this page dosnt have spell check or if it does i dont know how to use it so i hope i typed it out alright, if i didnt, give me a pass)

Back