• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

This is going to be my new baby (gun)

I have identical m&ps here one is .40 one is .357, I know which one has more recoil (well did until I put a DPM system on it)

My kimber ultra carry is a lighter gun and more top heavy than the .357 and it has less recoil even with an inch shorter barrel. Just saying.

I have shot 357 sigs, I have shot many 45s , the 45s had more recoil. I must think we choose to disagree.

You shoot for leisure or for a career....handguns?

I think the chassis has a lot to do with it. My model 19 is a big heavy gun without much recoil.

My buddy's titanium Taurus 2" barrel 5-shot .357 kicks like a mule.

I'm no gun expert, but it seems like the weight of the gun and length of the barrel makes a big difference.

I'm no gun expert, but it seems like the weight of the gun and length of the barrel makes a big difference.

Length of the barrel does if it's longer as it burns more efficiently and has more velocity, thus more recoil but the extra barrel length would also change the weight so we are back to square 1.
Weight is one of the main factors in taming recoil. There is a reason the Barrett Light .50 weighs 34 lbs. ;)

Someone made one in pistol form once, there was so much unburnt powder upon projectile exit it took the hair off of anyone standing within 2 feet.

Someone made one in pistol form once, there was so much unburnt powder upon projectile exit it took the hair off of anyone standing within 2 feet.

A .50 BMG in a pistol? No way!

Makes sense.

I'd love to fire a .50 - I may go out to do it next time I'm in Vegas.

My son fired a Barrett in the USMC. Said it was cool.
Of course he also got to shoot mortars and the 25mm on an LAV-25 in Iraq. ;)

Back